Premier Sponsor:

madriver

Dec 4, 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #1 of 17 (969 views)
Shortcut

What is Christmas?
Report this Post
Can't Post

So a local radio station is promoting a "Non-denominational Christmas Concert". Huh? Uhhhh... I always thought Christmas was the celibration of Christs' birth. So how the hell can it be a "Non-denominational Christmas Show". I can understand a "Holiday Concert", but by advertising it as "Non-denominational" I find it offensive. Christmas is a religious Holiday, if you want to celibrate the Holiday Season, fine, but Christmas is and always will be the celebration of the baby Jesus birth. Don't try and hide the fact that it is a Christian celebration.

blueeyedclimber

Dec 4, 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #2 of 17 (950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madriver] What is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Although I agree with you to a certain extent, Christmas has been a commercial, non-denominational endeavor for quite a while to a lot of people. No longer is it about the birth of Jesus. It's about who can beat the crap out of who for that last Tickle-Me-Barbie-GI Joe-X Box-Extravabot. Why, who has time to think about how it all began, when you have 101 errands to run, people to cut in line at the mall, and two whiny kids who just have to have what they just saw on TV but didn't know existed two minutes before.

Now, that all seems fairly negative, and it is not the way I look at the holiday, but it doesn't offend me that people do not treat Christmas a Jesus' birthday (which if you want to get all technical Jesus' birthday is actually sometime in January), but...I would be happy if people were civil, reasonable, and were just plain nice.

Josh

wldncrzytodd

Dec 5, 2006, 9:05 AM
Post #3 of 17 (924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is refereshing to see someone who actually cares about the reason behind the season. As far as I can tell and understand non-denominational is not the same as secular. Secular is basically non-Christian (not anti just non). Non-Demonitational means just not conforming to any 1 Christian based denomination ie; Baptist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc. So it seams that the concert is still Jesus centered just the church is trying to break down the barriors that seperate the different churches.

mowz

Dec 5, 2006, 12:20 PM
Post #4 of 17 (907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madriver wrote:
So a local radio station is promoting a "Non-denominational Christmas Concert". Huh? Uhhhh... I always thought Christmas was the celibration of Christs' birth. So how the hell can it be a "Non-denominational Christmas Show". I can understand a "Holiday Concert", but by advertising it as "Non-denominational" I find it offensive. Christmas is a religious Holiday, if you want to celibrate the Holiday Season, fine, but Christmas is and always will be the celebration of the baby Jesus birth. Don't try and hide the fact that it is a Christian celebration.

I consider myself a non-denominational Christian. I'm not a Methodist, not a Baptist, not a Catholic, not an Evangelical, etc. I think that's what the radio station meant by non-denominational: no denominations, just those that believe in Christ.

coloredchalker

Dec 5, 2006, 2:30 PM
Post #5 of 17 (894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mad, I appreciate your thoughts on this and agree. Maybe what they were meaning is that the christmas concert isn't going to be agendadized (sp) by a particular denomination. I know the denom. I'm a part of would celebrate differently then another one. Maybe, just what first came to mind. But it does seem sort of stupid to have to make note of the difference, why can't you just enjoy celebrating something with out worrying about being associated with a particular group.

Partner tradman

Dec 6, 2006, 5:35 AM
Post #6 of 17 (879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coloredchalker] What is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm just waiting for the "christmas was hijacked by the christain faith it's a pagan holiday which evil christians tried to stamp out waaah waah" team to show up in this thread.

Shouldn't take too long.

Wink

dingus

Dec 6, 2006, 6:59 AM
Post #7 of 17 (870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradman] What is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Christmas is for kids. Adults who argue over the meaning of christmas are LOSERS.

Pagens included.

DMT

saderinger

Dec 6, 2006, 8:06 AM
Post #8 of 17 (858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mowz] What is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From the descriptions you guys give, it sure does sound like "non-denominational" churches are just what they have tried to escape, a denomination in themselves.

unabonger

Dec 6, 2006, 1:17 PM
Post #9 of 17 (837 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madriver wrote:

My goodness, what an outrage. You have every right to be offended.

Of course, 'non-demonitational' just means its not specific to one sect of christianity, not that it isn't religious. There are probably a thousand sects of christianity.

Still, maybe they should have said "all-denominational". But then we'd be offending the denominations of christianity that don't believe in santa claws.

Oh fuck it. I'm going to bugger an elf.

justinlofthouse

Dec 20, 2006, 8:54 PM
Post #10 of 17 (749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] What is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
that people do not treat Christmas a Jesus' birthday (which if you want to get all technical Jesus' birthday is actually sometime in January),

Josh

april 6th...the historians have all agreed...he might have been born in a cave as well

danpayne

Dec 21, 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #11 of 17 (733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

umm, you obviously don't understand the phrase "Non-demoninational" its not a "non-religious" event, its taking the different sechts of christianity and holding a concert for them. They are simply saying ALL CHRISTIANS ARE WELCOME, regardless of catholic, lutheran, etc etc. Learn your diction before you try to make an issue out of something....

slablizard

Dec 21, 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #12 of 17 (728 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] What is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Christmas is for kids. Adults who argue over the meaning of christmas are LOSERS.

Pagens included.

DMT

what the DMT dude says.

bigfatrock

Dec 21, 2006, 2:17 PM
Post #13 of 17 (715 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I deleted this post!

(This post was edited by bigfatrock on Dec 21, 2006, 2:21 PM)

madriver

Dec 21, 2006, 6:25 PM
Post #14 of 17 (707 views)
Shortcut

Re: [danpayne] What is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

danpayne wrote:
umm, you obviously don't understand the phrase "Non-demoninational" its not a "non-religious" event, its taking the different sechts of christianity and holding a concert for them. They are simply saying ALL CHRISTIANS ARE WELCOME, regardless of catholic, lutheran, etc etc. Learn your diction before you try to make an issue out of something....

...well in that case..I'm really looking forward to that "non-denominational Kwanza err...Hanakah Celebration".......dooh!!!!!!!!

Love always and Merry Christmas

Mad

(This post was edited by madriver on Dec 21, 2006, 7:16 PM)

danpayne

Dec 22, 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #15 of 17 (702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madriver wrote:
danpayne wrote:

...well in that case..I'm really looking forward to that "non-denominational Kwanza err...Hanakah Celebration".......dooh!!!!!!!!

Mad

Ok, you obviously aren't resourceful enough to do your own research, so ill give you a lesson...

Denomination -
1. a religious group, usually including many local churches, often larger than a sect: the Lutheran denomination.

Thats from www.dictionary.com. Let me talk to you like a 5 yearold now cause apparently i need to.

There are billions of christians in this world. Do they all believe the exact same things? NO of course not. You have Catholics, and then someone said BS and made Lutherns, and along came baptists, and methodists, and mormons, and fuck, really, DO I REALLY NEED TO KEEP GOING ON!?!? Every one of those I just listed is a DEMONINATION of CHRISTIANITY. THEY ALL FUCKING BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST! ALL OF THEM! Christmas would be the "celebration of christs birth" SO, THEY WOULD ALL CELEBRATE IT, But in different ways.
When you have a NON-DEMONONATIONAL CHRISTIAN gathering, it is a gathering of people who all share faith in JESUS CHRIST, but not nessecarily all the other issues that go with each respective religion.

A non-demononational Kwanza would involve people who shared different beliefs towards it, but still believed in it at the same time, I wont go into detail because I dont know anything about the religious sechts of Jews or Kwanzans (or whatever)

THERE IS NOTHING ABNORMAL ABOUT A NON-DEMONONATIONAL CHRISTIAN GATHERING! They happen all the time. And I will repeat what I said before, but simplfy it.

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT WORDS MEAN, DO NOT FORM AN OPINION USING THEM! ITS THAT SIMPLE! YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE TERM "NON-DEMONONATIONAL" So please STOP ARGUING IT... Jesus H Christ.....

madriver

Dec 22, 2006, 6:16 AM
Post #16 of 17 (695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [danpayne] What is Christmas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

danpayne wrote:
madriver wrote:
danpayne wrote:

Mad

So please STOP ARGUING IT... Jesus H Christ.....

....heh....he goes to my church...obviously he doesn't go to yours....

non denominationly yours

MaD

P.S.....If the Jews have a Non Demnominational Hanakah celebration....is it still Hanankah?

cosmiccragsman

Dec 24, 2006, 4:14 PM
Post #17 of 17 (668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dear Children,

It has come to my attention that many of you are upset that folks are taking My name out of the season. Maybe you've forgotten that I wasn't actually born during this time of the year and that it was some of you're predecessors who decided to celebrate My birthday on what was actually a time of pagan festival. Although I do appreciate being remembered anytime.

How I personally feel about this celebration can probably be most easily understood by those of you who have been blessed with children of your own. I don't care what you call the day. If you want to celebrate My birth just, GET ALONG AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER. Now, having said that let Me go on.

If it bothers you that the town in which you live doesn't allow a scene depicting My birth, then just get rid of a couple of Santas and snowmen and put in a small Nativity scene on your own front lawn. If all My followers did that there wouldn't be any need for such a scene on the town square because there would be many of them all around town.

Stop worrying about the fact that people are calling the tree a holiday tree, instead of a Christmas tree. It was I who made all trees. You can & may remember Me anytime you see any tree. Decorate a grape vine if you wish: I actually spoke of that one in a teaching explaining who I am in relation to you & what each of our tasks were. If you have forgot that one, look up John 15: 1 - 8.

If you want to give Me a present in remembrance of My birth here is my wish list. Choose something from it.

1. Instead of writing protest letters objecting to the way My birthday is being celebrated, write letters of love and hope to soldiers away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. I know, they tell Me all the time.

2. Visit someone in a nursing home. You don't have to know them personally. They just need to know that someone cares about them.

3. Instead of writing George complaining about the wording on the cards his staff sent out this year, why don't you write and tell him that you'll be praying for him and his family this year. Then follow up. It will be nice hearing from you again.

4. Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts you can't afford and they don't need, spend time with them. Tell them the story of My birth, and why I came to live with you down here. Hold them in your arms and remind them that I love them.

5. Pick someone that has hurt you in the past and forgive him or her.

6. Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take their own life this season because they feel so alone and hopeless? Since you don't know who that person is, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile it could make the difference. Also, you might consider supporting the local Hot-Line: they talk with people like that every day.

7. Instead of nit picking about what the retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with the people who work there. Give them a warm smile and a kind word. Even if they aren't allowed to wish you a "Merry Christmas" that doesn't keep you from wishing them one. Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn't make so much money on that day they'd close and let their employees spend the day at home with their families.

8. If you really want to make a difference, support a missionary, especially one who takes My love & Good News to those who have never heard My name. You may already know someone like that.

9. Here's a good one. There are individuals & whole families in your town who not only will have no "Christmas" tree, but neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don't know them (and I suspect you don't) buy some food & a few gifts & give them to the Marines, the Salvation Army or some other charity that believes in Me & they will make the delivery for you.

10. Finally if you want to make a statement about your belief in and loyalty to Me, then behave like a Christian. Don't do things in secret that you wouldn't do in My presence. Let people know by your actions that you are one of mine.

P.S. Don't forget; I am God and can take care of Myself. Just love Me & do what I have told you to do. I'll take care of all the rest. Check out the list above & get to work; time is short. I'll help you, but the ball is now in your court. And do have a most blessed Christmas with all those whom you love and remember . I LOVE YOU.

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook