RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

bigfatrock

Dec 27, 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #1 of 17 (3144 views)
Shortcut

Getting a better angle
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am curious to as if anybody has advice as to how I can get myself further out from the rock so my angle is not so shallow when shooting down on climbers from above? The crag I am doing all my shooting right now has no overhangs to get on for better angles and no cliffs close by to shoot across from. I have heard of people using stilts but what exactly are they using? Painters stilts perhaps? It is something that doesn't seem to safe to me.

norm1057

Dec 27, 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #2 of 17 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Getting a better angle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What caliber are you using? Rifle or Pistol?

moose_droppings

Dec 27, 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #3 of 17 (3126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A shotgun or rifle?
Shotgun covers more angles.

norm1057

Dec 27, 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Getting a better angle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

True, but the velocity would greatly diminish at any relevant hight or the angle would not be an issue. Thus, said lower climbers would retaliate with rocks.

Partner philbox

Dec 28, 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #5 of 17 (3087 views)
Shortcut

Re: [norm1057] Getting a better angle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends on how high the cliff is. If you are over two pitches high then you are pretty much screwed except for being able to use an A frame. If you are less than two pitches then you can use a trolly system. You establish a big anchor for a very long rope that you then stretch out to another large anchor way out from the base of the cliff. Set up a haul system and tighten this rope. This is your trolley rope. You then rap on a seperate rope and attach another short rope with a pulley attached to the trolley rope. This pulley rope is used to pull yourself out from the cliff. A Gri Gri is good to use with this pulley rope.

The two pics linked to below are both pics that I would never have gotten if I had not used the method described above. I am dangling about 12 feet out from the cliff for both of those shots.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...35_metres_55879.html

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...yer_5.12c_52490.html

To get even better angles attach yourself to a second rap line so that you have an X and a Y axis i/e you can not only pull yourself out from the cliff but you can pull yourself across the cliff. You also have naturally the up and down dimension as well.

Remember to get the talent to do the crux a few times so that they build up the requisite amount of sweat and the correct facial expressions. Laugh

sungam

Dec 28, 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #6 of 17 (3086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Getting a better angle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm. In my honest opinion, for single pitch, I would advise either a .762mm if it is a curved cliff, to get an angle on the people on the other side, or an A-frame with a 5.56 carbine.
Anything over 2 pitches and I reach for the TNT.

-Magnus

bigfatrock

Dec 28, 2006, 2:01 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you mean by an a-frame?
When you mentioned the trolley system are you rigging your lines on an adjacent cliff? That may work at some crags and I will likely be shooting at more soon. The one I am currently at is on a riverbank so there are no cliffs close enough to rig such a system. Do you happen to have any pics of your setup you can share?

p.s. thanks for not making the cliche jokes like everybody else has been doing.

piton

Dec 28, 2006, 5:04 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:
It depends on how high the cliff is. If you are over two pitches high then you are pretty much screwed except for being able to use an A frame. If you are less than two pitches then you can use a trolly system. You establish a big anchor for a very long rope that you then stretch out to another large anchor way out from the base of the cliff. Set up a haul system and tighten this rope. This is your trolley rope. You then rap on a seperate rope and attach another short rope with a pulley attached to the trolley rope. This pulley rope is used to pull yourself out from the cliff. A Gri Gri is good to use with this pulley rope.

The two pics linked to below are both pics that I would never have gotten if I had not used the method described above. I am dangling about 12 feet out from the cliff for both of those shots.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...35_metres_55879.html

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...yer_5.12c_52490.html

To get even better angles attach yourself to a second rap line so that you have an X and a Y axis i/e you can not only pull yourself out from the cliff but you can pull yourself across the cliff. You also have naturally the up and down dimension as well.

Remember to get the talent to do the crux a few times so that they build up the requisite amount of sweat and the correct facial expressions. Laugh

as phil describes use a shunt as part of your rappell system. that way you are able to stop where you want and jug up too.

dbrayack

Dec 28, 2006, 6:32 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually just push out....or swing out to a tree, the latter likely the solution to your inquiry. If there are no trees available, you may want to bring a monopod (homemade?) with 4 legs or something (Think Grandma's walker style)

dbrayack

Dec 28, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another thing that I've done is tie one end of my rope to a tree back a ways, and then ascend the other end (through an anchor).

I can swing out and clip the line that's going up.

Luckly we have a lot of trees in WV

Partner thespider

Jan 3, 2007, 8:12 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigfatrock wrote:
I have heard of people using stilts but what exactly are they using? Painters stilts perhaps? It is something that doesn't seem to safe to me.

I have not tried any of these following suggestions, but I plan to.

Stilts:
2x2's about 4 to 6 feet long (length will differ) with some foot rests. Just like clown stilts, add some straps and BAM! Stilts are very unstable and require some work to use. But they are cheap, easy and if you loose or break one your not out very much.

Boom:
This one is very interesting. An A-frame made out of steel or aluminum tubing with bolts, washers, and nuts at each point of intersection. Add some webbing and cord to attach it to a rope (maybe some ascenders or prussics). The boom feet rest on the wall and you can climb out on the frame. make sure the tubbing is strong enough to support your weight without bending. While it sounds great, it is probably very heavy and a pain in the ass to cary.

Both of these are from Climbing Photography by Jeff Achey.

Good luck with the projects!

guangzhou

Jan 4, 2007, 7:27 AM
Post #12 of 17 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One way to chage the angle is to climb routes off to the left or right. Sometimes that works wells.

Another thing that may work id climbing a tree.

If you have a tree, you can also rig a rope bewtween the top of the cliff and the top of a tree. You could then hang between the two.

Another option, wich I think was mentioed is an Aframe. Check out Simon carter's website for a photo.

Good luck

melekzek

Jan 4, 2007, 8:18 AM
Post #13 of 17 (2869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thespider] Getting a better angle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thespider wrote:
An A-frame made out of steel or aluminum tubing with bolts, washers, and nuts at each point of intersection.

My first A-frame, I build from very light aluminum tubes, light and portable, which collapsed under my weight. The next one, I build using thicker aluminum tubes, which worked fine but the setup and hauling was more work than I would have liked. Also, it is hard to move to another spot, unless you have a killer shot from a fixed point, a-frame is too much work to be useful, imho...

(This post was edited by melekzek on Jan 4, 2007, 8:18 AM)

Partner philbox

Jan 4, 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2835 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Getting a better angle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Another option, wich I think was mentioed is an Aframe. Check out Simon carter's website for a photo.

Good luck

The interesting thing about Simon Carters A frame is that he rarely if ever uses it any more. He simply uses the naturally occuring features around him to gain the advantage of position. He works with what God has given him. He often merely pushes himself off the cliff with his legs.

Paul_Y

Jan 28, 2007, 5:21 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Philbox,
In your system do you attach the trolley line to the back of your harness so you face forward or do you attach it to the front and have to turn around to the front to take the picture?
Thanks in advance.

Paul

Partner philbox

Jan 29, 2007, 12:33 AM
Post #16 of 17 (2574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Paul_Y] Getting a better angle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Paul_Y wrote:
Philbox,
In your system do you attach the trolley line to the back of your harness so you face forward or do you attach it to the front and have to turn around to the front to take the picture?
Thanks in advance.

Paul

Hi Paul.

I generally will attach the trolley line to either the front of my harness or the side of my harness. I never attach it to the back. I rarely attach it to the side of my harness as it tears me apart. Better that everything is attached at the front. Attaching to the back leaves me vulnerable to be suspended out there from now to eternity like some oversized Christmas decoration. Wink

Attaching to the front ensures that I can make any necessary adjustments in a timely fashion.

kevinheiss

Feb 1, 2007, 8:36 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can always climb into a tree, or even go up on a different cliff if you have them around. If you don't have either of these around, then you are short of options.

You can also take pictures of them several feet of the ground without including the ground. This will give you the effect they are higher then they really are.

Kevin

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook