RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

tallmark515

Jan 5, 2007, 2:58 AM
Post #1 of 18 (1139 views)
Shortcut

Looking for a sleeping bag, need help
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for a 3 season sleeping bag that is highly compressible. Can anyone help with a link?

When browsing, should I be looking for synthetic or down? What compresses better? any other features/brands I should keep in mind when looking.

Btw, I'm looking into the $100-200 price range.

vegastradguy

Jan 5, 2007, 3:08 AM
Post #2 of 18 (1131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tallmark515] Looking for a sleeping bag, need help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tallmark515 wrote:
I'm looking for a 3 season sleeping bag that is highly compressible. Can anyone help with a link?

google major manufacturers- mtn hardwear, big agnes, western mountaineering, etc, etc.

In reply to:
When browsing, should I be looking for synthetic or down? What compresses better? any other features/brands I should keep in mind when looking.

for best compression and weight, down wins.

for best price, synthetic wins.

i'd actually recommend Mtn Hardwear's new Ultralamina Synthetic Bag- it compresses very well (a 15 degree bag compresses to the same size as a 10 degree down bag), doesnt weigh much, and is relatively cheap. Our initial review of it got a thumbs up from the reviewer.

that said, there's a big spectrum of bags out there. you can go from hellishly cheap to ridiculously expensive and everything in between. my personal opinion would be to look into synthetics (cheap and good for wet environs), but watch their size and weight as they can be heavy.

(This post was edited by vegastradguy on Jan 5, 2007, 3:09 AM)

reno

Jan 5, 2007, 4:02 AM
Post #3 of 18 (1109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Marmot Pinnacle 15 down bag, and except for the price, it fits your criteria. (I got it for $230.)

I've not shopped for sleeping bags in a while, but I think you'll have trouble finding something that matches all your stipulations: Price dictates synthetic, compressibility dictates down, and it is tough to meet both.

jimdavis

Jan 5, 2007, 4:59 AM
Post #4 of 18 (1082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Looking for a sleeping bag, need help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to work here, so you can take this with a grain of salt.....

But EMS has some decent sleeping bags. Their down bags are usually pretty quality (depends on the model, I think both of mine are 775 fill). They tend to be a little cheaper than Mth Hardwear or Marmot, but seem to work just fine.

Down is typically more compressable, but it depends on the quality of the fill. The higher the number, the lighter/ more compressable it is.

For a general purpose 3-season bag...synthetics might be your best bet. If you end up doing multi-day trips in a damn climate...or you sweat in your bag (as it's your mulitpurpose/ season bag) it'll get wet, and then you'll be miserable. Synthetics dry a little bit quicker, but stay warmer....sure you know this, just saying it incase you didn't.

Last I checked Polarguard Delta and Primaloft were some of the more compressable synthetic materials. Unless your super picky, I'd just decide on an acceptable weight, temp rating, and list of features...then see what's on sale.

Cheers,
Jim

worldonastrng

Jan 5, 2007, 5:12 AM
Post #5 of 18 (1065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IF you're looking for someone to do your research for you, check out www.backcountrygear.com.
They have sort of a database search you can do. They have all their bags listed by category and you just point and click. That's how I found my xmas present. As far as spending under $200, if I remember correctly, check North Face. They seem to have the most affordable bags around.

drfelatio

Jan 5, 2007, 5:14 AM
Post #6 of 18 (1062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own a Marmot Pounder Plus and I love it.

http://marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=bags&subcat=23&style_id=I2304

MSRP is $189 but I got mine off of Ebay for $120.

Like others have said, down will compress better but if you get it wet its pretty much useless until it dries out. The Pounder packs pretty small though, too. I can fit it and 2 fleece blankets into one 8x17 compression sack.

gr4t

Jan 5, 2007, 5:33 AM
Post #7 of 18 (1058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was looking for something similar to what you are, but closer to the $100 end and decided on the Mountainsmith Recon +20 3D, which is $110-115 from the REI outlet. It's Polargurad 3D fill and the stuffed size is 8"x11.5". I didn't find any reviews of the bag and haven't received it yet, but it had the spec's I was looking for.

I was looking for a synthetic, so I didn't explore down bags. The North Face Propel I believe was also a bag that would stuff small, but I think it's only a 40 degree bag, so it may need some help on cooler nights.

tallmark515

Jan 5, 2007, 5:36 AM
Post #8 of 18 (1054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gr4t] Looking for a sleeping bag, need help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thx for the help. Does anyone know anything about Lafuma bags? The warm'n lite series is in my price range, compresses small and is down.

magicbus

Jan 5, 2007, 5:40 AM
Post #9 of 18 (1050 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by magicbus [In reply to]
Report this Post

jimdavis

Jan 5, 2007, 6:00 AM
Post #10 of 18 (1040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [magicbus] Looking for a sleeping bag, need help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IF your looking to save money, sierra designs or la fuma would be cheaper than TNF, unless you can find one on sale.

I'd rather have a Sierra Designs than a TNF, but that's just me.

Jim

here's an ems bag for about $100, 2lbs 13oz for a regular....all 3 of my EMS bags have been great (25 synthetic, 40 down w/ pertex, 0 down)
http://www.ems.com/...;bmUID=1167995599404

(This post was edited by jimdavis on Jan 5, 2007, 11:16 AM)

tallmark515

Jan 9, 2007, 4:29 AM
Post #11 of 18 (972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jimdavis] Looking for a sleeping bag, need help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thx for all the help. I ended up getting the lafuma warmnlite 800. compresses to 5" x 10", ~20F, and only 120 from moosejaw.

northfacejmb

Jan 9, 2007, 5:11 AM
Post #12 of 18 (967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a marmot fusion. Its half down and half synthetic, so you get the best of both worlds.

boombewm

Jan 9, 2007, 5:39 AM
Post #13 of 18 (949 views)
Shortcut

Re: [northfacejmb] Looking for a sleeping bag, need help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kelty light year 25 if they still make them. I got mine about 3 or 4 years ago, about $125 brand new. Packs down really well. 25 degree down bag. Great if you've got a tent/ bivy sack, but because it's down, i wouldn't take it out in wet weather because wet down is probably worse than having nothing. But other wise i give the bag 5 stars, tough, effective, cheap.

jimdavis

Jan 9, 2007, 8:34 AM
Post #14 of 18 (925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [northfacejmb] Looking for a sleeping bag, need help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

northfacejmb wrote:
I have a marmot fusion. Its half down and half synthetic, so you get the best of both worlds.
and the worst. half the bag will wear out quicker, and you have to keep the whole bag dry.

jjanowia

Jan 9, 2007, 1:40 PM
Post #15 of 18 (905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own two Lafuma bags, the Extreme 600 (a seriously lightweight summer bag, not what you're looking for), and the Warm'n'Light down Kilo (a 20 degree three season bag). A quick perusal of their website suggests their line of bags has been altered this season. Mine is

http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/lafuma-one-kilo.html

I've spent about 30 nights in the bag over the past calendar year. For me, it is very comfortable - just enough room, but not so much extra airspace as to be inefficient. For reference, I am 6' and 150 lbs. I'm also a warm sleeper.

I've been comfortable in this bag with the lightest weight capilene on down into the high teens on several occasions. I regularly sleep in it w/ only boxer briefs on down into the mid 20s no prob as well.

I purchased a Lafuma bag because 3 of my regular outdoorsy friends owned them for some time, and raved about them. Ultimately I was able to borrow one and test it out (a technique I highly recommend if possible prior to buying a bag).

Pros:
Down - very compressible
Great workmanship - high quality build, no problems w/ any of these features so far (though I haven't had it for an extremely long time)
Price - I now live in Seattle, and if you want a bling bling down bag, you get a Feathered Friends bag. They're amazing, but detailed workmanship and small production facilities hiring local workers in downtown urban environments = expensive price (something you may be willing to pay if you support this kind of business model, though)
Coitus/Cuddling - You can zlp opposing zipper - sided Lafuma bags together. I found this very useful in convincing new girls in my life to try out camping. Good for getting your "let's get down in the tent" groove on. If you've got a second bag (a worthy investment, IMHO). Other brands allow you to do this, but I've only had experience doing it w/ this brand.

Cons:
Down - blah blah down vs. synthetic is part religious debate, part consideration over how you'll be sleeping (tent vs. bivy, desert vs. humid climes, etc).
Not Superlight - If you're counting ounces, this bag comes in at 2 kg, and is listed sometimes as 2 lbs 2 oz or 2 lbs 3 oz. It's not as light as some of the other ultralight bags on the market, but it includes a full - length zipper and the leg / foot area isn't as restrictive as some.

If you're looking for a budget priced high performing down bag, Lafumas are definitely a good way to go. For reference, I have not had any need to contact Lafuma regarding the bag, so I have no information about the customer service you'd receive from them.

(This post was edited by jjanowia on Jan 9, 2007, 1:47 PM)

mythicyeti

Jan 11, 2007, 6:09 AM
Post #16 of 18 (850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tallmark515 wrote:
thx for the help. Does anyone know anything about Lafuma bags? The warm'n lite series is in my price range, compresses small and is down.

I'd stay away from Lafuma products. For the same money you can get much better quality from REI/EMS/MEC/Sierra Trading Post. They tend to build bags to a price point, not to an end use and most of what I have seen from them wouldn't meet their advertised degree ratings.

secretninja

Jan 11, 2007, 7:30 AM
Post #17 of 18 (842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mythicyeti] Looking for a sleeping bag, need help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check the MEC website (MEC.ca). They have a killer selection at reasonable prices and with the exchange rate. you just cant lose.

franko

Jan 11, 2007, 7:59 AM
Post #18 of 18 (834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://featheredfriends.com/...mp;ProductName=Vireo

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook