RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

Partner philbox

Jan 9, 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #1 of 24 (14819 views)
Shortcut

Best use of this forum
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Please discuss here what you consider this forum to be best used for. There is currently a discussion going on in the Photo critique forum as to whether that forum is the best place for the assignment threads to reside in. It was also mentioned that the climbing photography forum is perhaps the best place for discussions of a more technical nature.

So in a nut shell it was suggested that this forum be the place for technical discussions and the other photography critique forum be the place where any discussions take place where comment on the actual photographs takes place.

It would be highly beneficial if a full discussion take place first so that the members who participate in both forums make the decisions of what they feel is the best use of these forums. The mods can then be guided by you the members to then direct and threads to the correct forum if and when a thread appears in the wrong forum. Yes the critique forum has suffered from the changeover to the new website but that should now be rectified since online images are now back up.

So have at it, tell us what you guys want from your forums. I'm very happy to be guided by you.

thomasribiere

Jan 9, 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #2 of 24 (14808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Best use of this forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure what you mean by "technical". Everything is technical in one way.

What could be done is one forum for Photo Material Discussion and one forum for Climbing Pictures Discussion.

These are my 2 €cents.

chanceboarder

Jan 10, 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #3 of 24 (14781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:
So in a nut shell it was suggested that this forum be the place for technical discussions and the other photography critique forum be the place where any discussions take place where comment on the actual photographs takes place.
I think that statement pretty much sums up what I think.

The description for the "Climbing Photography" forum is as follows: Tech tips, techniques, ISOs, ASAs, flashes, slaves, metering, dodging, burning, capturing climbers in poor light, taking a good butt shot... find it all here in a forum dedicated to the art of climbing photography.

The description for the "Photographers Critique Forum" is as follows: This Critique Circle is where members of the Photographers Critique Circle can offer each other constructive criticism on lighting, composition, and other photographic techniques. If you are interested in joining please PM the Moderator. Beginners to Professionals are welcome!

I've always thought of the "Climbing Photography" forum as a place to discuss technical issues about taking photographs including discussions on equipment, best ways to take photographs, how to use your camera, printing, and all that good stuff. I've always thought of the "Photographer Critique Forum" as a place to post up those photographs that you shot and have others critique your work and give feed back on how to improve.

I think both forums are very useful and one being dedicated to the technical aspect of photography and one being dedicated to the art itself is a good idea.

Jason

Partner philbox

Jan 10, 2007, 12:19 AM
Post #4 of 24 (14775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chanceboarder] Best use of this forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey chanceboarder, good stuff mate.

In reference to the forum descriptions, they can be changed to reflect what the members want out of the particular forums. For that matter the forum names themselves could be changed if that is what the members find would be helpful.

chanceboarder

Jan 10, 2007, 12:37 AM
Post #5 of 24 (14769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's true, but I think the descriptions they have now are good. They describe well what each forum is about and the types of topics that should be covered in each. The two forums probably cover the two of the biggest parts of photography, the technical aspect and the art itself.

I think the other discussion in the Critique Forum was about whether threads like the photo assignments belong more in the the "Climbing Photography" forum (a forum for more technical topics) or the "Critique Forum" (a place where photos are displayed and talked about). Personally I think threads like the belong more in the Critique Forum.

Jason

Partner philbox

Jan 10, 2007, 1:28 AM
Post #6 of 24 (14753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chanceboarder] Best use of this forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, me too. What the purpose of this thread is though is to guage the feeling of the inhabitants of this forum is as to whether they feel the same way. I did not want to simply start to shift threads into the other forum without first finding out what other users thought.

It is also a thinly disguised attempt at pimping the other forum. Laugh

thomasribiere

Jan 10, 2007, 9:23 AM
Post #7 of 24 (14708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By the way, the two forums could be listed one next to the other : maybe some people don't know there are two forums.

guangzhou

Jan 10, 2007, 11:45 AM
Post #8 of 24 (14694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have not posted an assigment in a while, I guess I should start those up again. Just been busy with work, photography, and climbing. I'll do my best to have one up this week. I am almost done updating my porfolios, so I should have some down time time soon.

I understood the critic forum to be for critics of actual photos. I also remember having to register and needing to be approved by admin to post there. this could have changed, but it's still listed in the club catagory.

Having to register could deter some people from actually posting or participating there. I don't really understand why that or the WW forum are so "inclusive."

The way I think of it is: photography related goes here. Posting a picture for actual critic or coments goes there. This is what seems to be happening now.

I would lean towards keeping things the same.

(This post was edited by guangzhou on Jan 10, 2007, 11:50 AM)

Partner epoch

Jan 10, 2007, 12:48 PM
Post #9 of 24 (14687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Best use of this forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A point that I made in the other forum was that the assignments should be moved from this forum to the other. Yes, this is the place to get information on how to take that outstanding shot, but the end product and the comments associated to them would theoretically belong to the Photo Critique Forum. It would increase traffic to the other forum.

I feel that the assignments are lost in this one because of all of the technical questions regarding cameras, riggin, ISO, etc.

I don't know how the club thing works in the new format, in that I don't know if membership is required anymore.

Now that we once again have embedded photos we once again have the ability to bring life back to forums and threads that revolve around pictures. I would like to see them spring back to life once again.

My .02

guangzhou

Jan 10, 2007, 9:56 PM
Post #10 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Best use of this forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand you concerns about losing the assignments among the other post, but I think the assignments would be lost among post even in the critic section. The fact that they get lost so easily is what makes it hard for me to post more regularly. My original idea was to post them monthly, but I often found that they would be lost before anyone ever saw them.

The only way I could think of to prevent the assignments from being lost, would be to creation a photo assignment section. This would help, we could determine the rule about where to post picture once that happens. If admin here thinks, it needs to be, than they can make it a club, but I think some people might not be willing to participate if they had to register and wait for approval.

If that's what the admin here wants, than I would be willing to post a new monthly assignment. I would put it on my schedule, and would make sure the assignment posted the first week of every month.

If we did that, I, or the admin here, might be able to scrounge up some prizes for participants. Consistency would insure that the sponsors get some good light.

I also noticed that RCC tried to put together a calendar. Maybe we can use the assignment section as a feeder system for the calendar. Since the picture assignment require the photographer to shoot specifically for the lesson, the photos posted should reflect the current months climbing possibilities. A nice touch for a calendar.

Let me know. I am currently writing a photo column for an outdoor magazine, so I have some past lessons from that that I could tweak to post here.

Just some random thoughts,
Eman

Partner philbox

Jan 11, 2007, 12:19 AM
Post #11 of 24 (14615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about if I made the assignment a sticky, that way it would not drop down the thread list and be lost.

So the way the assignments would work is to post the assignment in the critique section, I make the post a sticky and then people have a month to respond to the assignment. After the month is up the thread becomes unstickied and the next assignment goes up. I would also endeavour to have a notice go on the FP announcing the new assignment.

Would this work? Would it meet everyones expectations?

Partner epoch

Jan 11, 2007, 8:15 PM
Post #12 of 24 (14579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:
What about if I made the assignment a sticky, that way it would not drop down the thread list and be lost.

So the way the assignments would work is to post the assignment in the critique section, I make the post a sticky and then people have a month to respond to the assignment. After the month is up the thread becomes unstickied and the next assignment goes up. I would also endeavour to have a notice go on the FP announcing the new assignment.

Would this work? Would it meet everyones expectations?

It would work. May I add that assignments should be numbered and remain a stickey for at least 3 months. That way we could have some variation as the assignments roll out and give people time to grab that shot while out on a trip or what not. It's winter up here where I'm at and unless I shoot some sort of glorified gym shot, you may not get a real rock shot until the weather gets warmer.

guangzhou

Jan 11, 2007, 9:36 PM
Post #13 of 24 (14547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Making the thread sticky would be a good start. Unfortunately, many of the RRC member who post to the assignments post after the month is up. While a good start, I think the assignments would still get buried.

What did you think of getting some sponsorship for a monthly contest. That would problally increase traffic to RCC and bring some excellent pictures to the site.

guangzhou

Jan 11, 2007, 9:42 PM
Post #14 of 24 (14543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Best use of this forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It might be fun to create a lifestyle assigment about how climbers spend their winter. I put some thought on it.

Partner philbox

Jan 11, 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #15 of 24 (14522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
It might be fun to create a lifestyle assigment about how climbers spend their winter. I put some thought on it.

Problem being that this website is now an international one and it has worldwide coverage so that what you are suggesting would not work for us southern hemisphereans. It being summer and all down here.

I like the idea of the sticky remaining for 3 months, I think that is a worthwhile suggestion. Excellent thinking.

guangzhou

Jan 12, 2007, 7:09 AM
Post #16 of 24 (14491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good point on being internationals, but a lifestyle assigment might be interesting.

What you you think of sponsorship for contest?

Partner philbox

Jan 15, 2007, 12:29 AM
Post #17 of 24 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I reckon that keeping it unsponsored will attract more participants.

guangzhou

Jan 15, 2007, 9:42 PM
Post #18 of 24 (14409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:
I reckon that keeping it unsponsored will attract more participants.

Tha doesn't make sense, but what do I know.

mitguy

Jan 17, 2007, 5:14 AM
Post #19 of 24 (14381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think the Critique Forum is the place to post assignments. I also don't think the club membership is such a big deal. There are already so many people in the club who don't contribute... Maybe there can be a way to reward more active members? Plus, Emon, at the current rate, assignments will never get buried. My posts from several months ago are still on the front page... Perhaps there is a way to keep track of how often people are posting and critiquing? The ratio of page views to posts is very low. I do think assignments and contests would help encourage participation, although only the rare few should involve concreate prizes. Perhaps one a year, for some good prizes? Like an annual rc.com photo contest?

guangzhou

Jan 17, 2007, 9:23 AM
Post #20 of 24 (14368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mitguy] Best use of this forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mitguy wrote:
i think the Critique Forum is the place to post assignments. I also don't think the club membership is such a big deal. There are already so many people in the club who don't contribute... Maybe there can be a way to reward more active members? Plus, Emon, at the current rate, assignments will never get buried. My posts from several months ago are still on the front page... Perhaps there is a way to keep track of how often people are posting and critiquing? The ratio of page views to posts is very low. I do think assignments and contests would help encourage participation, although only the rare few should involve concreate prizes. Perhaps one a year, for some good prizes? Like an annual rc.com photo contest?

I wonder, can you move the post from the photo forum to the critic forum now. If so, I can post future assigment directly to the critic section.

I also like the idea of posting a link to the front page when new assigment are posted.

As for prizes, I withdraw the offer of finding sponsirship. It would be a hazzle to mail, track, and decide anyways. I will keep this simple for everyone involved.

phugganut

Jan 17, 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #21 of 24 (14366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about 2 separate photo forums: 1 for the ultra-serious photo snobs and 1 for regular people that like climbing photos. Some of us stay out of the current photo forum because of the too technical discussions, too critical critiques (is that an oxymoron?), and b/c normal people sometimes don't like to get their favorite pictures trashed by the hardcore photo pros.

Some of us aren't trying to be Ansel Adams, we just like climbing pictures and occasionally like to talk about it.

It's just a thought.

-Mike

Partner philbox

Jan 17, 2007, 9:37 PM
Post #22 of 24 (14339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phugganut] Best use of this forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your thoughts Mike.

Interesting feedback that you think that the critique forum is to critical. I've not thought so myself but then maybe I have a thicker skin than most. I really had hoped that that forum would not have scared off people because of the nature of what we do. Users submit pics in the hope that they receive feedback in the form of a critique.

This has helped me to become a much better photographer. Even the most perfect photo will always attract criticism as different things appeal to different folks. It is expected that your pic will attract cricicism, hopefully in a positive way and by and large I reckon that most pics gain that feedback. How it is taken is another thing though.

Of course if you submit a blurry butt shot then one should expect to get a little savaged over those types of pics, no one likes a blurry butt shot. Sly

The thing is that it does take a bit of perserverance to begin to take pics that are half acceptable and gaining feedback is an excellent way of speeding up the process. Please do try again with the photo critique forum. Don't let a bit of negative feedback sway you from participating. Take the criticism in a positive light and put the feedback to good use and take better pics.

chanceboarder

Jan 17, 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #23 of 24 (14312 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually like it when the serious photo snobs pick apart my work and tell me everything they don't like about it. I get more out of it that way. I don't want to submit a photo and have everyone just go "nice shot" and sugar coat the feedback cuz they don't want to upset someone. I would prefer a forum where people give me their honest feedback about what they like and what they don't like about my photos and perhaps give suggestions on things they thing can be improved. I mean that's the whole point of a critique forum right?

Yeah some people have thicker skin then others but I think its part of the learning process for photography to get honest feedback from people both good and bad.

Jason

braaaaaaaadley

Mar 31, 2009, 1:56 AM
Post #24 of 24 (10106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's my opinion. Have the critique forum only be for posting image for critiques and have the general photo forum for everything else climbing photography related. At the top of the general photo page (sticky) have a monthly competition. Have the previous month's winner choose the best five images from the monthly lot. Then have a poll where rc.com members vote for the winner. The winner chooses the next month's challenge.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook