RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

mikeparr

Jan 10, 2007, 5:22 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1102 views)
Shortcut

South of France - La Clape Info & Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just been on winter hols in the South of France. Did some climbing at a place near Narbonne called La Clape. All limestone, some polished routes, but much not (350 routes in total), good protection (i.e. plenty of bolts), but not that high – max 34 metres – mostly 20 to 15. Many routes are south facing facing. Most of the climbs are 5c through to 7a (gulp).

Anyway, thought that you might all like to know of a nice spot which I reckon is good through the winter and for spring/autumn (too bloody hot in the summer). There is even a guide book which the local (Gruissan) tourist office sells. When I was there with a mate there were NO other climbers (on a nice warmish sunny day).

Quick question: anybody done any climbing on Pic St Loup just north of Montpellier. Took a look at it – seems interesting but I understand that there is close to zero protection (= trad climbing !).

map

Jan 18, 2007, 2:15 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikeparr] South of France - La Clape Info & Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as I know, Pic Saint Loup is indeed mainly "terrain d'aventure". If you want some sport climbing closeby, and perfect for winter, try L'Hortus. It is south facing, so perfect for winter. And if you have time and fancy a short hike (45min), go on top of Pic Saint Loup anyway: the view is nice, including superb view on L'Hortus, and the topography is really interesting if you are interested in geology.
Have fun!

Map

uasunflower

Jan 18, 2007, 4:38 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [map] South of France - La Clape Info & Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

is La Clape in the Route Database for France? If not you should add that info there too!

thomasribiere

Jan 18, 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uasunflower] South of France - La Clape Info & Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I added it some years ago (Massif des Pyrénées) but the infos remain very sparse...

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook