Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
n00b friendly NC areas
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

CORSkier

Jan 10, 2007, 8:39 AM
Post #1 of 8 (3756 views)
Shortcut

n00b friendly NC areas  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Looking_Glass_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to be getting back stateside in about a month and was wondering whereabouts in NC has some fun single-pitch routes that are on the easy side. My endurance isn't up as high as it used to be, and my climbing skills would probably be more comfortable if I TR. The only place I've climbed in NC was a wall that a friend and I found up in the French Broad area, it's not listed on here that I know of. Thanks for any help.

Edit: I've been looking around and it seems that some, if not all, of the state parks in NC don't allow alcohol. Do they enforce this very diligently? Basically, should I bring beer or whiskey? One's easier to hide than the other...

(This post was edited by CORSkier on Jan 10, 2007, 12:06 PM)

saxfiend

Jan 11, 2007, 2:21 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CORSkier] n00b friendly NC areas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try looking through the NC section of the routes database. If drinking is your main interest, find a bar.

JL

noell

Jan 11, 2007, 2:44 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where to climb: try Pilot Mountain, that's where I'd go especially if you are in NC when it's chilly out. Tends to be south facing and warm if it's cold out. There are nice moderate single pitch routes there, sport and easy TR setups. Grades range from I'd say 5.6 to 5.12 in the main TR/Sport areas. It's a fun place and really easy to get to know your way around, and a VERY easy approach.

To get to Pilot just take 52 North from Winston-Salem for about a half hour and take the Pilot Mtn exit. It is a state park. When you arrive, you'll literally be on the top of the cliff, and you can just walk 5 minutes down the trail to climb.

Beer or whiskey? I'll be honest, I never looked up the park rules on this since I lived there. I'd say just try and keep whatever you have to yourself, don't make a huge fuss and you should be fine. I know that lots of NC locals enjoy a sip or two (or three Wink after a days climb). Not that I know personally or anything.... lol

Good luck!

scwillie

Jan 11, 2007, 2:45 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crowder's Mountain. Lots of TR, at many levels. And fairly close to Columbia SC. Not sure about camping there.

headonkey

Jan 11, 2007, 3:27 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scwillie] n00b friendly NC areas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pilot Mtn is an excellent place to go and my favorite in the Piedmont area. Try to avoid it on nice weekends though. It gets some major traffic.

If you want bouldering or trad, head over to Moore's Wall. If you want sport, head over to Sauratown. They are all very close and very good.

norm1057

Jan 11, 2007, 4:15 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not familiar with the climbing. However, I moved from ENC last January. I found that signs were posted about drinkin everywhere but as long you were discreet, nothing was enforced. But, that may have been due to being on the coast and the locals not wanting to piss off the tourists. Had a blast!

CORSkier

Jan 13, 2007, 7:55 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scwillie] n00b friendly NC areas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like I'm going to take a trip up to Crowder's in the next few weeks, and Pilot might be right after that. I've read up a little bit and it looks like Crowder's is packed on the weekend, so I guess I'll try and get up there on a Thursday or something so I can spend a little more time on the rock.

Oh, and saxfiend, drinking isn't the main reason, just something I like to do after a long day of climbing. If I wanted to just drink I'd head up to Asheville. The reason I posted this is because I don't want to get all caught up in numbers/ratings. I looked to get an idea of which areas had some lower rated routes, but I wanted to get a local's perspective of places they enjoyed when they learned to climb, so that I wouldn't be stepping on any toes trying to climb shit out of my range yet. Thanks for all the help though.

(This post was edited by CORSkier on Jan 13, 2007, 7:59 AM)

Partner bdplayer

Jan 31, 2007, 3:06 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [norm1057] n00b friendly NC areas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pilot Mountain is great single pitch ranging from easy to stinkin' hard (if you know where to go). It also has a median in front of the park entrance that is nice and grassy, just right for camping out with a box of wine as you watch the semi roar past. Not that I'd know anything about that.

Saurtown is pretty good sport as well, once you get your feet back under and feel like tackling some harder routes. It's also great in the winter.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook