Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
a month near north conway?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ter_bee

Jan 11, 2007, 9:12 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1750 views)
Shortcut

a month near north conway?  (North_America: United_States: New_Hampshire: Carroll_County)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i had this idea last night and need help deciding whether it's crazy or not:

i think i could convince my employer to let me work out of my parents' place in bridgton, me (about 25 miles from N. Conway) for a month or so this summer, with the explicit goal of taking many days off to get on the rock at whitehorse ledge and cathedral ledge. my secondary agenda would be to make sure that dear old mom & dad aren't in need of help that they aren't getting because they live in Beautiful Nowhere, Maine.

The problem is that my partners are all in Cincinnati or Kentucky, and climbing on gear with a stranger is scary for me AND the stranger. I usually get to know new partners at the gym and then decide whether or not I am willing to climb outdoors with them, and let them see me in action too. Obviously, they can't evaluate my placements in the gym, but they do get to see my belay technique and lead head.

What do NH folks do to meet partners? How would I go about meeting partners in NH when I'm in Ohio? If you were me, would you just show up and try to meet people?

Second question: anybody need a partner?

Third: When is the best time to come? When is black fly season again?

stickyfingerz

Jan 11, 2007, 9:34 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ter_bee] a month near north conway? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd recommend checking out Al Hospers' site: neclimbs.com

It's probably the best resource for Conway area info, partners, etc. There's not too much going on up there gym-wise, so you'll probably have to just meet up with folks at a crag and see how it goes.

Depending on the season, the bugs can be really bad until July-Aug or you might not have any in June. The amount of rain is really the determining factor and remember that when the cliffs get the late morning summer sun (ie. heat) the bugs usually go away. Bug-torture or heatstroke, your choice.

Oh yeah, welcome to New England. Wink

maxie

Jan 11, 2007, 9:45 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto on Al's website - neclimbs is really the best climber's resource up here.

There is a kiosk at the base of cathedral where you might post a partner note. At Whitehorse you have no such community resource. However, I'd suggest you drop into IME in town and post on their bulletin board as well - better yet, just talk to the friendly staff there. They know all of the locals (they ARE the locals) and would probably easily hook you up with climbing partners in the area.

Glad to hear you are cautious about picking partners. I climb there a fair amount on weekends but sometimes need a partner, so if you want to PM me, we can talk more about the possibilities.
Good luck!

redpoint73

Jan 11, 2007, 9:48 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stickyfingerz] a month near north conway? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

May and June tend to be the worst for black flies. You will still see some for the rest of the summer, but its not nearly as bad. The mosquitoes can be a hassle also, but probably not anymore than Ohio.

If you have a choice, come in the fall. After Labor Day, there tends to be less people, nice cool temps, and much fewer bugs.

bumpkin

Jan 12, 2007, 9:24 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint73] a month near north conway? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The bug situation in NH is way over-rated. Having said that, the last few springs have seen very wet Mays and Junes.

July and August can be quite muggy, but there are great swimming holes and its rarely far too hot to climb.

As for partners, I have had generally good luck on neclimbs.com and boston craigslist. I don't shy away from internet partners: I think the deal is that on the first day, pick fairly non-committing objectives. I would never climb something that I didn't feel I could "guide" on the first day of climbing with a new partner. Single pitch rather than multi-pitch, etc. Just good common sense.

twistedtree

Jan 12, 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd echo other people's comments and give a few additions:

The AMC is very active and is a good way to meet people for climbing.

There is an extremely active sport community at Rumney, it may not be as much your speed but you will definitely run into lots of climbers and may be a good destination if you don't trust your partners skills.

I am down in Boston and the two gyms here have very active communities. I've met a slew of climbers through metrorock and craigslist. I agree though, set your sights low for the first day with strangers...

ter_bee

Jan 12, 2007, 6:43 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [twistedtree] a month near north conway? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey again. thanks to everybody primarily for making it clear that this is not a completely insane idea, and secondarily for all the good advice.

i think my next questions are all for my boss. will report back.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$12.36 (10% off)
$7.16 (10% off)
$16.16 (10% off)
$22.46 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook