RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

01grander

Jan 12, 2007, 7:22 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2660 views)
Shortcut

Sandrock in Alabama?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there any top rope spots at sandrock? Also the sport routes about how many draws do you need to go up? We have a group of us but arent very experienced so we want to stick to top rope and sport just for this trip. The problem w/ sport though is that not a lot of us have quickdraws. Thanks

hrtmnstrfr

Jan 12, 2007, 8:15 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Re: [01grander] Sandrock in Alabama? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Couldn't you just use the same set? Most climbs there will require 5-7 including the draws needed for the anchors. Buy the dixie cragger's atlas.

DaveEvad

Jan 12, 2007, 8:23 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2639 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Top ropes are fairly easy over on Sun Wall on climbs like Windows I think its called. There is a trail from the parking lot that goes to the top and you have to jump a gap in the rock that will kinda get your blood going. Not too bad though. Been a while since Ive been there though. Hope that helps.

felixthekraut

Jan 12, 2007, 9:56 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a copy of the Dixie Cragger's Guide here:
http://www.dixiecragger.com/

There are plenty of top rope spots, most sport routes are around 5 to 8 draws.
If you have a group stop by REI or where ever on your way up and each buy two quickdraws

bernard

Jan 12, 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2596 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The are tons of oportunities to set up top rope climbs at SR....both on established routes and un-

From the sound of things, i'd suggest getting the John Long book on anchors....how to build them. Also go buy a bunch of 1-inch tubular nylon webbing and make some anchor slings of varying lengths. This will be the core of your top rope kit.

Another handy thing to do is to make a couple of oversized daisy chains....hand tied....each out of a tied loop of webbing....to use as your last extension on you anchor setup. This way, with the multiple loops tied into the daisy, you can get the anchor carabiners at just the right spot on you two lengths of webbing you'll be using for you top rope anchor

Some route's fix anchors at the top may require a short rappel from some natural anchor beyond the end of the climb, downward, to just over the edge in order to reach them and thread your rope/set up a top rope using these

be safe

dynamo_

Jan 12, 2007, 10:52 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As said, lots of top rope opportunities.

Be careful.

dirtbag_clmbr

Jan 12, 2007, 11:52 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's the main place I go. There are a ton of places to toperope. The easiest ones are on Jaws Block which you can walk straight up the backside to set up anchors. Most of the routes are very low but some of the shortest are the most fun. There is also an incredible amount of bouldering there. Most sport routes take about 6 or 7 draws but there aren't too many easy sport routes(That are easy for me at least).Go to Dr.Topo.com and look at there topo on Sandrock. They only tell you about the bouldering but they have some great diagrams showing where the blocks are reletive to the parking lot. Good Luck and if you have any questions PM me.

01grander

Jan 13, 2007, 1:00 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dirtbag_clmbr] Sandrock in Alabama? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there any top rope spots that are already set up? w/ the loops(i forget what they are actually called)? Our two buddies that had all the climbing gear just moved away after dec. graduation so we dont have much to go on. I never bought a lot b/c one of them had a few grand in gear. Or can you suggest a better place around northern alabama that has sport and top rope that you dont have to set up an anchor?

Ill be buying more stuff in 2 or 3 weeks but i just dont have the money for the trip this weekend to buy stuff.

(This post was edited by 01grander on Jan 13, 2007, 1:05 AM)

Masterblaster

Jan 13, 2007, 1:32 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2543 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last time I was at Sandrock there were these crazies who revved around on their 4 wheelers all night around our car, then in the morning there was a guy hanging out shirtless onj top of the crag shooting off his rifle. Make sure you wear blaze orange when you're toproping.Smile

dirtbag_clmbr

Jan 13, 2007, 2:14 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe the loops you are thinking of are "shuts" and if so, they only put those at the top of sport routes there. I can set up almost every top rope on Jaws block with 3 quick draws and mabye two 15' peices of webbing. I'm only 15 and have never camped there but I too have heard about the crazies at night. Oh, also it's a dry county so don't bring alcohol. The cops will hunt you down even if your 60ft up on a route and give you a ticket if they see any in your car or w/ your gear.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook