Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
what's the climbing like at Lilly Boulders?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

brookelyndj

Jan 16, 2007, 9:30 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1909 views)
Shortcut

what's the climbing like at Lilly Boulders?  (North_America: United_States: Tennessee: Eastern: Obed--Lilly_Boulders)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is it all overhung and steep? Or are there mixed features?

noell

Jan 16, 2007, 10:07 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brookelyndj] what's the climbing like at Lilly Boulders? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lilly does have a mix of stuff, it's right by Lilly Bluff and really easy to get to. Alot of it is pretty steep, but there are also more face-y problems and aretes and the like. Not alot of really hard mantle like top outs, since most of the problems just kind of end on a certain jug, but still fun.

If you live down in GA, closer to Rocktown/LRC, I wouldn't necessarily make a trip to Lilly just to boulder. Now the Obed for ropes is definitely worth a trip but Rocktown and LRC have far more problems than Lilly boulder field.

I hope that helps! Just let me know if you need anything else, I live only 45 minutes from the Obed. Hurray for the steep south!

brookelyndj

Jan 16, 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [noell] what's the climbing like at Lilly Boulders? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well my Grandma lives in Harriman, TN, so we were thinking of making a trip up there to see her and check out one of the local crags there. Wasn't sure if it would be worth it or not. Thanks for the information!!

How hard are the grades on average?

What's Lilly Bluff like? Range of grades?

noell

Jan 16, 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lilly boulders have a really wide range of grades, anything from V0 to unrepeated James Litz problems. Seriously, you could spend a day on V0-V3 or spend a day on mid-range V4-V6 stuff or try some of the harder things V7 and up, there's everything.

Lilly Bluff is a sport crag right beside the boulders. It tends to be really chilly this time of year but has routes from 5.9 to 5.12.

If I were coming to the Obed for a day in chilly weather, I'd check out: Tierrany for sport routes in the grades of 5.10 to 5.12 or South Clear for sport in all grades (a wall of 5.7 stuff is at the Image WAll I believe, haven't done any of that, but there are plenty of routes between 5.10 and 5.12 and some classic 5.13's too). These really are considered some of the best walls at the Obed. In warmer weather, my fav crags are a most see- Little Clear and Y12, steep and sweet.

thorne
Deleted

Jan 16, 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lilly Bluff one or two routes under 5.10, several easy 5.10s and plenty of harder routes. It's north facing and is more of a warm weather crag.

South Clear Creek, which is a great winter crag, has plenty of routes from 5.8 up.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n/Obed--Clear_Creek/

rock_doctor

Mar 16, 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering at Lily Boulders is kick ass. There is a good mix of stuff, from really hard to really easy. The rock is all sandstone, but there are a variety of features, slopers, crimps, jugs, cut-your-hand crystals, rails, etc. The grit of the rock is typically good, smooth in places but usually good. Not quite as gritty as the New River area, but good nonetheless.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$76.46 (10% off)
$26.96 (10% off)
$80.96 (10% off)
$195.26 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook