Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Kalymnos in August, too hot?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

nickd

Jan 21, 2007, 7:47 PM
Post #1 of 10 (6226 views)
Shortcut

Kalymnos in August, too hot?  (Europe: Greece: Islands: Kalymnos)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know if it will it be too hot to climb in Kalymnos in August?

Thanks!

(This post was edited by nickd on Jan 21, 2007, 7:48 PM)

thomasribiere

Jan 21, 2007, 8:03 PM
Post #2 of 10 (6219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nickd] Kalymnos in August, too hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably... I've been there in October and some crags were still very warm! ANd August id the full holiday season for Europeans so it might be crowded. But the sea will be perfect...

olive

Jan 22, 2007, 1:48 AM
Post #3 of 10 (6207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] Kalymnos in August, too hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have not been to kalymnos but I have been to southern turkey many times - in that region August is way hot for climbing. Sure you can try, but it is the worst time to go there...

whipperman

Jan 22, 2007, 4:26 PM
Post #4 of 10 (6196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nickd] Kalymnos in August, too hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to Kalymnos for my honeymoon in the high heat of the summer. It was not too hot for climbing and it was nice because there were few crowds. Just have to pick your areas based on shade. Usually we climbed from about 9am to 1pm then took a siesta, swim, Kalymnos salad (yum) for lunch. In later afternoon we either climbed or lazed at the beach. Perfect trip and great time to go.

aris

Jan 26, 2007, 9:04 AM
Post #5 of 10 (6175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whipperman] Kalymnos in August, too hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Summer in Kalymnos

A mistake commonly repeated on web-sites is that climbing is not possible during the summer period owing to the very hot conditions. Probably these comments have been made by people who have never visited Kalymnos during summer! The stuffy, humid climate, characteristic of most other European climbing areas, is not to be found here.

At those crags which are in the shade, a refreshing sea breeze actually makes climbing pleasant in the summer. On most summer mornings you need a warm top to wear while you belay!

There is only one rule: do not climb in the sun! Using the relevant information pages of the guide book can prove very handy when choosing the ideal sector and the right time to go climbing. Note that on hot, windless days - a rare phenomenon - the rock can seem a little "sweaty" until about 10.00am.

June is not much different to May and the sea is still rather cold.

Although July is maybe the hottest month, you can always find a shady sector where you can climb comfortably.

In August the sectors are in the shade for longer due to the lower track of the sun.

Don't imagine that the peak of the tourist season - 1st to 15th August - bears any comparison with the crowds that flock to some of the other islands of the Aegean. The island is in a much quieter category altogether. It is a marvellous destination for peaceful family climbing holidays.

Owing to their westerly or south westerly orientation, most crags are in the shade in the morning. If you wake up early, head for Odyssey, Afternoon, Spartacus, Kasteli and Syblegades. You can climb in the shade from 9.00 to 14.00. In the afternoon you can relax on some of the beaches.

If you oversleep, head instead for Summertime, Vathy and Eros on Telendos or, a little later, to Syblegades.

The ideal summer sector is Sikati as most of it is in the shade all day and if by any chance you feel tired, the beach is only 5 min away!

---------------
The above text is from the new guidebook ofKalymnos.

http://www.oreivatein.com/climb/kalymnos/e_guide2006.htm

thomasribiere

Jan 26, 2007, 11:00 AM
Post #6 of 10 (6165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aris] Kalymnos in August, too hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Aris? Are you Aris Theodoropoulos? If so, thanks for all the job you did in opening all the routes in kalymnos.
As for the weather, if the meltem is blowing it should be OK, but man, summer is hot in the greek islands!

aris

Feb 26, 2007, 3:01 PM
Post #7 of 10 (6086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are welcome Thomas,
thanks for you are so kind and
sorry for late reply.

Usally the combination of sea breeze and cliffs in the shade provides excellent summer contitions in Kalymnos. Smile
Not as hot as the most greek islands in summer and much better than Xmas in Thailand!!
Cheers
Aris

vertical_planar

Feb 26, 2007, 3:54 PM
Post #8 of 10 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aris] Kalymnos in August, too hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The first two times I have been in Kalymnos it was during July and I managed to climb a lot. My 3d visit in October was much more rewarding...

As Aris said, its possible to climb during summertime (8:00 to 13:00 I would say) but its way better to go during spring time.

(This post was edited by vertical_planar on Feb 26, 2007, 4:02 PM)

vertical_planar

Feb 26, 2007, 3:59 PM
Post #9 of 10 (6075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thomasribiere wrote:
Aris? Are you Aris Theodoropoulos? If so, thanks for all the job you did in opening all the routes in kalymnos.

I am sure Aris overolooked to clarify he did not open all the routes in KalymnosCool

thomasribiere

Feb 26, 2007, 8:36 PM
Post #10 of 10 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vertical_planar] Kalymnos in August, too hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vertical_planar wrote:
thomasribiere wrote:

I am sure Aris overolooked to clarify he did not open all the routes in KalymnosCool

oops, I meant all these routes, not all the routes...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook