Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Yoga poses to prevent rotator cuff injury...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

wonderwoman

Jan 22, 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #1 of 5 (735 views)
Shortcut

Yoga poses to prevent rotator cuff injury...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

or general climbing related injuries? I am wondering if folks have ideas, tips or experience on this.

I recently took a week off climbing because of a searing pain in my shoulder. I noticed the pain two days after I had spent 3 days in a row climbing my hardest. This hot poker feeling happened in my shoulder during the motions of putting my jacket on or putting something in my back seat.

Someone suggested that it might be an aggravated rotator cuff and that I should ice it and lay off for a little while. This and stretching seemed to do the trick, as well as getting several nice back rubs from my hubby.

But someone else suggested yoga to strengthen weak areas and prevent injury. So now I'm wondering what poses would be good. Any ideas?

Edited to add: Yes, I am also seeing a doctor Wink

(This post was edited by wonderwoman on Jan 22, 2007, 12:23 PM)

ultraloveninja

Jan 22, 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #2 of 5 (713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Yoga poses to prevent rotator cuff injury... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow. 3 days in a row of maxium potential climbing.
no wonder your shoulder is killing you.

i had the same feeling in my upper left arm and shoulder area once i started climbing a lot last year. i wasn't terribly bad, but when i would move my arm in a certain way, i would get a quick sharp pain in my arm. i went to the doctor and then said that it was an acute issue of elbow tendonitis, which wasn't server, but it didn't allow me to do any lifting of my arm for about 2 weeks.

they gave me some info about it, and a list of stretches and work outs to build it back up again.

after doing those for about 2-3 weeks, it started to go away and i was back on the rock.

i started doing yoga after that and it seems to help as well, but be careful cause some moves in yoga might overstretch the affected area(s) of your arm and cause more injury then help.

IMO, if it's still bugging you, then definitely go see a doctor and they can pinpoint the issue and get you some help and/or rehab.

other than that, i would recommend the "Body Wisdom Yoga For Athletes DVD". this DVD has a wide range of diffrent sports (including Rock Climbing) and then breaks it down into specfic ranges for your body. some stuff is pretty easy, but they do have some difficult stuff so take it easy your first time.

if i remember correctly, my doctor gave me some info from the university of michigan for those excercises. i tried to look them up and give you a link, but there was much more than i thought, so, if you want you can check there. they have a TON of rehab excersises there that you can look up and use if you choose to.

jenmet

Jan 22, 2007, 11:16 AM
Post #3 of 5 (688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga is an excellent idea! My yoga teacher tore her rotator cuff wind surfing and thru yoga has gotten it back into mint condition.

Without the correct instruction, though, you can risk hurting yourself further by doing the poses incorrectly. I would suggest finding a certified *Iyengar* yoga studio near you. I've been practicing yoga for 7 years and have found that these are the only yoga teachers who have mandatory training to rehab injuries...and if for some reason they don't feel capable of working with you, they'll tell you instead of just doing it anyway.

Be patient with it too. The results will come, but you have to do some work. Yoga is just a good idea in general. I've been a climber for six years and have never injured myself, save for a sprained ankle on a bouldering fall. I was told my ankle would never return to the way it was...but I continued yoga and it's back to normal.

If you have any questions on where to find a good place let me know...just remember Iyengar, because that's the important part.

Good luck!

mheyman

Jan 22, 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #4 of 5 (657 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Iím a climber not, in the medical field, but I donít think we can tell what your injury is from the net. Rotator cuff injuries are common though. I had shoulder pain which I ignored for a long while. When it started to threaten my climbing I saw a Doc. He told me to see a physical therapist. I rested it and ignored that too for as long as possible. Eventually it began keeping me out of the gym and off rock, so I went to the therapist.

He told me that I had a simple over use injury, and that I needed to get stronger to continue what I was doing (climbing). I never wanted to join a regular gym or do weights, but I have been doing exactly that for about two years. I can still make my shoulder(s) sore, but I havenít had real problems like I used to have. I intentionally do less bouldering and dynos than I used to, but I still do them, Iím just more careful about attempting things I know I will have to go all out for.

sidepull

Jan 22, 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #5 of 5 (647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As suggested above, I think you would need personal instruction (as opposed to some recommended poses or an instructional DVD) to use yoga to heal your injury. I think with yoga it would be far easier to exacerbate the injury rather than heal it unless you have someone really watching what you are doing and making sure you are using your body appropriately in each pose.

I think a far more mundane yet easier approach would be to buy a set of therabands and do some really easy shoulder strenghtening exercises for 3 weeks. (I invoke the caveat that I don't really know what you've done to yourself or how serious it is).

Edit: can I start any more of my sentences with "I think" - I need more brain juice today.

(This post was edited by sidepull on Jan 22, 2007, 2:49 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook