RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

teddyp324

Jan 23, 2007, 10:00 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2726 views)
Shortcut

2004 NEN Accident Video
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

At The White Mountain School's USAC climbing comp in 2004 my friend had a climbing accident some of you might have heard about, does anyone have a video of the accident? The schools copy was "lost" and my friends and I want a copy, and nobody that I know has a copy.

lambone

Jan 24, 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [teddyp324] 2004 NEN Accident Video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That sucks, what happened?

I'm a firm believer that every ABS comp should have designated spotters at every competition. Last year I saw a poor kid get wheeled out on a cart because of a bad spot by another climber.

teddyp324

Jan 25, 2007, 3:13 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lambone] 2004 NEN Accident Video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The accident was a 37ft fall... regardless of the "official" report that said 26ft. He had reached the top of his route and the setter used plastic zipties to hold the rope on the biner to speed things up. During the cource of his climb the rope became unclipped but was still held in place by the ziptie, he didnt notice this and weighted the rope... the ziptie snapped and he hit the floor, both radius and ulma were broken and had a couple cracked ribs. The White Mountain School (where we were going/ host of the comp) did their best to push it under the rug and denies ever explaining the accident to him. Their was no lawsuit because my friend didnt want the school to get screwed, I would just like to be able to send the school a copy of the accident since theirs was "lost".

lambone

Jan 25, 2007, 3:35 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [teddyp324] 2004 NEN Accident Video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

teddyp324 wrote:
The accident was a 37ft fall... regardless of the "official" report that said 26ft. He had reached the top of his route and the setter used plastic zipties to hold the rope on the biner to speed things up. During the cource of his climb the rope became unclipped but was still held in place by the ziptie, he didnt notice this and weighted the rope... the ziptie snapped and he hit the floor, both radius and ulma were broken and had a couple cracked ribs. The White Mountain School (where we were going/ host of the comp) did their best to push it under the rug and denies ever explaining the accident to him. Their was no lawsuit because my friend didnt want the school to get screwed, I would just like to be able to send the school a copy of the accident since theirs was "lost".

wow, man that is serious. it's amazing that was the only injury. very noble of him not to sue the school.

I have no idea what happened with the zipties though...wtf? who uses zipties to anchor a rope, for what and why? yikes...

Sounds like the school needs better training for their staff/setters.

(This post was edited by lambone on Jan 25, 2007, 3:36 AM)

teddyp324

Jan 25, 2007, 8:13 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lambone] 2004 NEN Accident Video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The school was NOT responsible for setting the ropes and routes for the comp, it was done by someone else. The school has exellent training for climbers, and has always had through safty training. The zipties wernt a safty thing, it was convinence so the rope didnt come out of the knot, I didnt explain it well... It was all TR and the setter only used one twist lock biner, instead of double and opposing like it should be.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook