Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Help plan my climbing trip to OZ!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

marylou

Jan 24, 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1298 views)
Shortcut

Help plan my climbing trip to OZ!  (Australasia: Australia: Victoria)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Myself and a good friend of mine will be touching down in Melbourne on April 1st, the beginning of what we hope will be a phenomenal 3-month dirtbagging tour of Aussie climbing.

Our rough itinerary is to explore Tasmania, then the Arapiles/Grampians, and head north as the weather cools down. I would be EXTREMELY grateful for any advice on living cheaply and climbing freely in Australia. We're both focused on climbing routes rather than bouldering, with a preference for trad but no bias towards sport.

We would prefer to get by on the money that we have saved, but understand that short-term jobs of some sort might be necessary. Are these difficult to find as american citizens?

Should we buy a cheap used car? What is the best way to do this? How much should we expect to pay? Any advice on cheap camping and eating?

Any perspective is appreciated. Thanks!

getsomeethics

Jan 24, 2007, 4:20 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marylou] Help plan my climbing trip to OZ! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Arapiles is $2/night/person (last time i was there). utopia of crags IMHO. toilets and water provided, depending on drought drinking water can be limited so bring water jugs to fill up, the more you have the less back and forth to water sources...

a car would definately be handy. however i have hitched to arapiles a couple times and getting rides into horsham or natimuk is never a problem for food and beverages. it is a community of climbers at the pines. very cool.

getting a car? have heard that kings cross in sydney is a good spot, which doesn't help you in melbourne, but that is all i know.

it may still be possible to work a couple hours at a farm down the road from araps in exchange for fresh veggies etc.

if you make it to northern NSW and want to boulder and climb on some granite, we have rooms, energy and friends to show you around. message me here if that be the case.

have fun. also, there is a climbing festival in the blue mountains on april 7-8th. more info: www.climbingfestival.com.au

Cheers,

TF

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook