Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

steady_climbing

Jan 31, 2007, 9:52 PM
Post #1 of 33 (7039 views)
Shortcut

Rock Empire
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What are your opinions on Rock Empire cams?

Partner hosh

Jan 31, 2007, 10:00 PM
Post #2 of 33 (7032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [steady_climbing] Rock Empire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haven't used them personally but just from the looks of them, I'm a little hesitant to lay down the cash for a product that looks like a second. I'll stick with BD, Metolius and Wild Country... Were you looking to get a second set of cams to add to your rack or are you building a rack with Rock Empire as the backbone?

hosh.

steady_climbing

Jan 31, 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #3 of 33 (7020 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hosh] Rock Empire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Build as the backbone.... Hmm, maybe not.

ihategrigris

Jan 31, 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #4 of 33 (7012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They deffinatly will catch your fall (they've caught a few of mine). The big ones >#0.75 camalot are pretty good, smaller though they start to suck. All in all though they're pretty solid, they just don't feel or place as nice as BD or metolius.

Actually, if you're looking to save money, pay a little more then RE and get DMM. They're cheaper then the big three but still very solid. They also have a real nice feel, nicer IMHO then other dual stem cams like metolius.

Partner gandolf

Jan 31, 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #5 of 33 (7005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a set to fill in a small, old trad rack and they work pretty good. I find that they are easier to overcam that my BD Camalots or WC Friends. All in all - a good investment for the money.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 31, 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #6 of 33 (6980 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

steady_climbing wrote:
What are your opinions on Rock Empire cams?

Rock Empire has a varying line up of different cams. Perhaps you should take a look at the gear reviews on this web site:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...on/Active/index.html

RE is producing the older version of flex cams as well and those always got good reviews too.

I've used mine for years as they were the first cams I got. I trust them with my life, but they aren't the porsche of the cam industry.

havard

Jan 31, 2007, 10:43 PM
Post #7 of 33 (6975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the 0.5 and the 0.75. They have both taken falls, and held. The action is not too smooth, but they do the job. I'll be replacing them with bd's during this season...

krusher4

Jan 31, 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #8 of 33 (6970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [havard] Rock Empire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use them their fine in every type of rock, the price is good, they hold falls, I think people talk crap about them because it's not a "name brand."

bodyboarder

Jan 31, 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #9 of 33 (6945 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krusher4] Rock Empire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

People talk crap about them because they suck. I started out with them. Will they hold a fall? yes of course they will, but they don't place nearly as nice as bd or metolious and they seem to get stuck rather easly.

krusher4

Jan 31, 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #10 of 33 (6941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bodyboarder] Rock Empire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bodyboarder wrote:
People talk crap about them because they suck. I started out with them. Will they hold a fall? yes of course they will, but they don't place nearly as nice as bd or metolious and they seem to get stuck rather easly.

yeah...that's true. If you have money it's best to have BD's. RE's are a cheap way to get doubles..not that the sizes match up...OK FINE THEY REALLY SUCK.

doogle

Jan 31, 2007, 11:51 PM
Post #11 of 33 (6929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was gonna start my rack with a set. Price-wise it was a choice between 8 rock empires or 4 BDs... I chose BD, and I'm glad I did.

TheDullEnd

Feb 1, 2007, 12:44 AM
Post #12 of 33 (6910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of my favorite sayings:

"I'm too poor to buy cheap sh#t."

bodyboarder

Feb 1, 2007, 1:39 AM
Post #13 of 33 (6883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheDullEnd] Rock Empire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TheDullEnd wrote:

It's so f*ing true. I know some people who try to save on everything by buying the cheapest stuff but end up spending more money because it sucks/breaks/doesnt work.(like my gf's car insurance)

Jason

jeremy11

Feb 1, 2007, 3:26 AM
Post #14 of 33 (6834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a set of 8 Trango flexcams, the kind that is now the RE durango cams, for $150 shipped in almost new condition from RC.com. Cool
I like them, except the #4 and #8 (1 and 5 in RE) I'm not too fond of. I've whipped on the #7 (4 RE), also gotten it stuck and retrieved it after an hour, frying the trigger wires and then putting in DIY trigger wires. They are fine to start and I will keep using them. unless you get a screaming deal, and if you are paying close to retail, pay a few $ extra for forged friends or DMM. I have some DMMs and a way old forged friend and like them.
the RE nuts though are bad, not the best for learning on, and less usefull then more normal shaped nuts like BD/ABC or Frost Sentinels.

stymingersfink

Feb 2, 2007, 5:07 AM
Post #15 of 33 (6760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bodyboarder wrote:
TheDullEnd wrote:

It's so f*ing true. I know some people who try to save on everything by buying the cheapest stuff but end up spending more money because it sucks/breaks/doesnt work.(like my gf's car insurance)

Jason
The motion has been made and seconded, all in favor say "Aye"

Aye

Why do people refuse to learn the lesson that 80% of the time you get what you pay for, but rarely more?

Partner brent_e

Feb 2, 2007, 5:34 AM
Post #16 of 33 (6748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ihategrigris] Rock Empire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ihategrigris wrote:
They deffinatly will catch your fall (they've caught a few of mine). The big ones >#0.75 camalot are pretty good, smaller though they start to suck. All in all though they're pretty solid, they just don't feel or place as nice as BD or metolius.

Actually, if you're looking to save money, pay a little more then RE and get DMM. They're cheaper then the big three but still very solid. They also have a real nice feel, nicer IMHO then other dual stem cams like metolius.

I agree with buying DMM's over RE. I own a couple and ended up letting a friend put them on his rack (except for one of the smaller robots that I like).

DMM cams are nice!!! The Durango Cams by RE are the same as old trango flexcams, which I haven't used, but look alright.

(This post was edited by brent_e on Feb 2, 2007, 5:37 AM)

trebork2
Deleted

Feb 2, 2007, 6:02 PM
Post #17 of 33 (6712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] Rock Empire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a set of Durangos and I'm happy with them. They don't feel as smooth as the BD's but then you don't pay $55 a cam. They have caught me on multiple big whips. I wouldn't have them as a backbone of a rack but def. as a supplement. They get my vote.

Partner angry

Feb 3, 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #18 of 33 (6674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trebork2] Rock Empire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The larger Pulsars are nice. $35. The 6 is the same size as an old 4 camalot and the 7 is the size of a 4.5. They have a little stickyness to them but it's never been an issue when placing. Also, they have a short trigger bar too, still, it's not an issue.

They also weigh about half or less than an equivalent C4.

deadhorse

Feb 5, 2007, 5:30 AM
Post #19 of 33 (6617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Rock Empire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just order a .5 a .75 and a 1 robots, they don't seem like their the quality of BD, but for me, being a primarily sport climber (I know, you hate it) they seem like a decent way for me to fool around and patch the hole I had in my rack. I think if i stick w/ trad they'll get replaced w/ little metolius' and my c4's will get doubled.

but hey, C.E. passed so they can't be that unsafe

Partner angry

Feb 5, 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #20 of 33 (6570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deadhorse] Rock Empire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deadhorse wrote:
but hey, C.E. passed so they can't be that unsafe

I think RE is fine, but I've seen CE certified widowmakers. Don't fool yourself. There's strong stuff but that doesn't mean it'll take a fall.

bennydh

Feb 5, 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #21 of 33 (6561 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Rock Empire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used them, didn't have any problems with them, they just aren't the top of line cam on the market. If your trying to save money, They'll get you by. Use them right and you'll live. When you finally have an extra buck down the road you'll have a good feel for a cam, and the top of the line cams will all be that much sweeter. These will turn into seconds.

RORO

Feb 6, 2007, 4:05 PM
Post #22 of 33 (6515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bennydh] Rock Empire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree... My Rock Empires turned into seconds when I picked up a set of Camalots. The Robots seemed fine, but the 4 and 5 did seem to pivot rather easily.

the_climber

Feb 6, 2007, 6:05 PM
Post #23 of 33 (6499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RORO] Rock Empire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I only have one RE cam. #7 Pulsar, it's about the size of a #5 Friend. Over all I've been quite pleased with it. I needed a larger cam than a #4 on my way ot the Bugs and the Weight and price were right. True they are not as refined on the looks as other cams, but he prformance and stability I found to be great. Even took a small fall on it and it held my fat ass just fine... which I was really really happy about Cool as if it didnt I would have taken the ratteling offwidth cheese-grater ride Crazy

I'm looking at getting the #6Pular to fill the gap between the #4 friend and the #7 Pulsar. Why? For the number of times I use gear that big around here I really don't feel like spending 3 times as much on a cam, and I feel there is no need ot worry about the safety of these cams (read I have confidence in them). When I head in to the Bugaboos... well that little weight savings means that can can take that much more scotch up to the Applebee camp.CoolCool Granted if I were to have the cash to spend on them I"d likeley get a full set of C4's weighalots.... or are they costalots... oh, that's right, Camalots.

The DMM's are great cams too, I like some of their smaller 3CU's, and how light their new ones are.

markc

Feb 6, 2007, 7:37 PM
Post #24 of 33 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd suggest also checking other threads and the gear section for further opinions. There are several models of RE cams on the market currently. You may want to be specific about the model(s) you're considering.

I started buying pro with a limited budget, and climbed on RE Robots and Micro-Robots for a season or two. (I still carry two of the micro-robots.) I started making more money, and upgraded to BD camalots. Robots are narrow. As a result, larger units don't feel as stable and are prone to walking. I was reasonably happy with the smaller units, but they obviously lack the finish of nicer cams. My main issue was the gap in the functional range of the cams.

If you're going with RE, I'd look at one of the other models (Pulsar, Comet, or Durango). All look to be more stable in the larger sizes. They'll get you started and catch a fall, but consider how long you'd like to use them. RE got me climbing on my own before I could afford to get better cams. I don't regret buying them, but I did invest a couple hundred in gear I don't really use any longer.

reg

Feb 6, 2007, 8:29 PM
Post #25 of 33 (6257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have five - #2-#5 robots and a #5 pulsar. i think they are all solid. don't care much for the extendable sling - it only extends from about 3" out to 5-6". then you have to fiddle with the stiching section of the sling - just ain't worth it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook