Premier Sponsor:

pinktricam

Jan 31, 2007, 4:37 PM
Post #1 of 16 (604 views)
Shortcut

Okay, maybe it's just me, but...
Report this Post
Can't Post

I find that the campaigning and punditry for the next Presidential election has begun waaaaaaay too early.

Okay, I understand that 68, or so, percent of the US population's desire to oust W, but come on, there's still 21 months left before we actually vote!

I remember a time, not so long ago, when the American public only had to bear with a single year of campaigning. Now the public and media are clamoring for individuals to declare their candidacy immediately, a full 2 years before the polls, lest they be condemned as being irresponsible. This is ludicrous! It's a waste of time and money and limits the field of contenders to those that have unlimited financial resources. It is unfair to the public and it's unfair to those individuals that would otherwise be in a position to run on and propose real changes beneficent to our nation.

I'm sorry, but I for one will not put up with this absurd manipulation by the media. I have begun to turn off and skip over any and all copy relating to the next presidential election. I'll tune in next year when, unfortunately, the field will be pared down to those candidates that began with the largest "war chests."

As some of you know, I have supported W over these many years and I don't want you to confuse this rebellious gesture as "sour grapes". It isn't just that, it's just that I see our political system really favors the cash and not the person and I believe that to be one of the greatest travesties of this nation.

May God bless America and see her through a bleak future of bloviating rhetoric.

slablizard

Jan 31, 2007, 4:45 PM
Post #2 of 16 (599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] Okay, maybe it's just me, but... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
it's just that I see our political system really favors the cash and not the person and I believe that to be one of the greatest travesties of this nation.

Nice to come out of a coma isn't it?
:)
come on supporting the Bush family and the oil cartel is not that bad...is it?

bobd1953

Jan 31, 2007, 5:36 PM
Post #3 of 16 (587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
May God bless America and see her through a bleak future of bloviating rhetoric.

You really are a tool. Thousands of people are dying in Iraq and your upset over the media! WTF???

If there is a God I hope that she would be more concern about the bleak future for Iraq then media in the US.

Maybe you should be too.

collegekid

Jan 31, 2007, 7:07 PM
Post #4 of 16 (569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say we hold a "special election" like was held in California.

wjca

Feb 1, 2007, 6:10 AM
Post #5 of 16 (549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought PTC and Thorne died together in a car accident or something. Where have you guys been?

coloredchalker

Feb 1, 2007, 6:27 AM
Post #6 of 16 (545 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Ptc this might be a good thing in that it gives citizens more time to educate themselves about candidates.

pinktricam

Feb 1, 2007, 8:46 AM
Post #7 of 16 (530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coloredchalker] Okay, maybe it's just me, but... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great, after listening to a pundit free hour of BBC this morning at home and on the way in to the hospital, NPR starts right up with a story on Barak. Stuff it! I'll catch up on Barak next year.

CC, I don't need 2 years to evaluate the candidates. I can do it in 2 hours and I've only been greatly disappointed in one person that I've ever helped put into office; Mark Foley.

Nice to see you again Bob...glad for your singular focus, but I think that I can manage more than one concern at a time.

Wjca, nice, lovely thought...sorta gives me the warm fuzzies. Where've I been? Aside from helping save lives in the ER of people that really were involved in motor vehicle accidents, I've been takin' a break from the online world and focusing on becoming an advanced RT, as well as working on a couple of art projects I have going in the studio.

dingus

Feb 1, 2007, 8:52 AM
Post #8 of 16 (528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
CC, I don't need 2 years to evaluate the candidates. I can do it in 2 hours

Sadly this sort of 'evaluation' gave us George Bush the Decider. And ironically that is the exact amount of time it took him to decider to invade Iraq on trumped up charges.

Hillary/OBama in 08. I see Biden entered, imploded and effectively exited the campaign all on the same day. That has to be some sort of record.

DMT

pinktricam

Feb 1, 2007, 8:58 AM
Post #9 of 16 (523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Okay, maybe it's just me, but... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
CC, I don't need 2 years to evaluate the candidates. I can do it in 2 hours

Sadly this sort of 'evaluation' gave us George Bush the Decider.

All I have is one thing to say to: Two solidly conservative Supreme Court Justices. That'll be the best legacy W leaves us with.(Okay, that was two things.)

(This post was edited by pinktricam on Feb 1, 2007, 8:59 AM)

rmsusa

Feb 1, 2007, 1:28 PM
Post #10 of 16 (497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
...it's just that I see our political system really favors the cash and not the person and I believe that to be one of the greatest travesties of this nation.

I don't think that's quite right. The system favors the person who can raise the most cash. To say it favors cash rather than person seems inaccurate.

There are two ways to support a candidate. The first is with a vote and the second is with dollars. Being able to mobilize a political machine and gather huge dollars is an indication of huge support among those with opinions strong enough to open their wallets.

Simply being able to mobilize the machine is an indication of great political ability (a necessary qualification). Being able to gather the dollars is an indication of political support.

Is this so wrong? Politics and money have always been and always will be inseparable. Maybe it's OK? In SOME way a candidate has to demonstrate support in order to be serious.

Things are getting expensive, but think about the gravity of the position.

moose_droppings

Feb 2, 2007, 4:14 PM
Post #11 of 16 (472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] Okay, maybe it's just me, but... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Being able to gather the dollars is an indication of political support.

I don't believe this is an indication of support, considering that 98% of the monies come from 2% of the people. I see this as more of a sign that the candidate with the most money is more obliged to a minority interest.

Even the politicians acknowledge the fact that the money is ruining the campains. They bicker back and forth about doing something about it, but in the end their afraid of cutting their own throat. I think there are ways to make the playing field level in terms of monies, but in reality, they don't want level, they want an edge.

rmsusa

Feb 3, 2007, 8:56 AM
Post #12 of 16 (447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Okay, maybe it's just me, but... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
In reply to:
Being able to gather the dollars is an indication of political support.

I don't believe this is an indication of support, considering that 98% of the monies come from 2% of the people.

Even the politicians acknowledge the fact that the money is ruining the campains. They bicker back and forth about doing something about it,

Even if that were true, you're talking about the 2% who really care about outcomes enough to open their wallets. Shouldn't they have a say?

Politicians SAY that money is ruining the campaigns. Just how is it ruining them? Are they just saying stuff to appear to not be about money? Lots of people just don't like people or organizations that have put together a lot of money. It seems to be some kind of emotional thing without reason.

moose_droppings

Feb 3, 2007, 9:40 AM
Post #13 of 16 (443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That small percentage doesn't care about the direction of the country, they only care about having a puppet in office to direct decisions in favor of their wallets. I'm sorry, but in my opinion its, money over morals in corporate America today. Thats also why the politicians every election year or so threaten to introduce law that would try to do something about all the corruption in campaign financing. Its all hype, neither they or special interest seekers want a level playing field. As long as big money has a grip on them, no campaign reform laws stand a real chance.

Two sayings come to mind that sustain this quagmire;
1.Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
2.One hand washes the other.

My reply to those;
1.Learn to feed yourself.
2.Quit getting your hand dirty and the other hand wouldn't have to clean up after you.

rmsusa

Feb 4, 2007, 11:54 AM
Post #14 of 16 (417 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Okay, maybe it's just me, but... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
That small percentage doesn't care about the direction of the country, they only care about....

Isn't that a rather blatant assumption about intentions. We observe actions and speculate about intentions. We can never really know them.

Besides, isn't wanting to get things my way really caring about the direction of the country.

moose_droppings

Feb 5, 2007, 8:19 AM
Post #15 of 16 (401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
Besides, isn't wanting to get things my way really caring about the direction of the country.

In no way is wanting things one persons way in step with caring for the country.
Caring for the country can't be about one person.

As far as
In reply to:
Isn't that a rather blatant assumption about intentions.

Yes it is, but its only offensive because its realistic if you look at the direction big money has taken us already.

hangerlessbolt

Feb 5, 2007, 9:34 AM
Post #16 of 16 (395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
That small percentage doesn't care about the direction of the country, they only care about....

Isn't that a rather blatant assumption about intentions. We observe actions and speculate about intentions. We can never really know them.

Based on their (big company/ special interest) past dealings, one can easily conclude that their intent has nothing to do with the betterment of the United States or any other country for that matter, but has everything to do with increasing their bottom line and power of influence.

So, yes, we can know their intentions.

If youíre unclear as to the dealings to which Iím referring, I suggest you do research.

Regarding your last sentence, I can't...in good conscience...answer that for you as it has to be the most ridiculous phrase I've ever read and can only hope that you're trolling.

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook