Premier Sponsor:

dr_feelgood

Feb 1, 2007, 9:48 PM
Post #1 of 4 (315 views)
Shortcut

In search of excitement/ failure.
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really know where to put this, or how to describe it. So i stuck it here.
Anyhow, does anyone feel they are constantly seeking excitement or failure. I am a typically success oriented person, yet for some reason i see to be seeking failure as well. Examples:
I've been in 'combat' in iraq and found that for the most part boring except for the few crazily scary parts which i found fun.
I've drunk heavily, but never for long periods of time. I'd like to reach the point where i am in a motel drinking shitty liquor and barely feeling. Maybe that will sate my appetites.
I've climbed some stupid stuff where a fall would result in a dirty 30-40 foot pendulum fall, placed marginal gear which would probably be body weight only on lead, and done other stuff which may have resulted iin injury to myself...
I've jumped from a moving airplane on a chute packed by a guy getting paid as much as me and just as frustrated and lived...
I think i am an adrenaline junkie, but maybe worse. I am wondering what to do to remedy this and seek a solution so i am not a crazy man living on the streets in 10 years... Hell if i know what to do about this... Keep seeking adrenaline and therefore alienate my self from society or just realize i need to be a drone shithead and work for the man to find $$.
Hell if i know. I'm just drunk.

bizarrodrinker

Feb 2, 2007, 4:43 AM
Post #2 of 4 (309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] In search of excitement/ failure. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say a up of coffee and a hobby are in order.

puck1340

Feb 2, 2007, 9:24 AM
Post #3 of 4 (289 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you will probably not be living as a crazy man in ten years, probably not living at all. look at dan osman, he was a thrill seeker. you have to ask yoursef though, would your life be to dull if you didn't take risks all of the time. i personally take lots of risks(own a motorcycle, climb, jump from 80ft cliffs into water), but i think that is what keeps life exciting. although i do my best not to die.

hiyapokey

Feb 2, 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #4 of 4 (280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The things that make life worth living are friends and family, taking care living things, and finding a romantic partner to share your life with. If a person finds themselves pushing the line trying to get to the next level of risk, eventually they will cross the line and die in their pursuit, like Dan Osman as the previous poster mentioned. After Lynn Hill had her accident, it re-focused her and helped her realize how valuable life is. If you can't enjoy those things that are truly valuable then something is not quite right and you need to find help to get straightened out. This doesn't necessarily mean professional help, its very personal how someone figures things out. I can tell you that the motel idea is a hole you don't want to be in although it may seem attractive to you now. My dad who has twenty years of sobriety in AA has seen more than one guy go that route and it isn't pretty. Also, there are a lot of vets in AA that help each other with the specific problems that come from being in combat. Sorry if you're just ranting and I took you too seriously.

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook