RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

greenketch

Feb 4, 2007, 9:11 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1391 views)
Shortcut

Qajaasaarneq anyone?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, sometimes when not messing around on ropes in some fashion I am out sea kayaking. There is an Inuit sport called qajaasarneq which is basically climbing over and spinning around a rope drawn betwwen two anchors. The name roughly translates as "like rolling a kayak".

I have started playing with adapting some of the moves onto a slackline. Anyone out there played with such a thing? Does anyone even know what I am talking about? Crazy I would like to discuss such if so.

misanthropic_nihilist

May 14, 2007, 8:16 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [greenketch] Qajaasaarneq anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's ironic to come across this thread now. I just learned about it, and gave it a try, for the first time last week.

I don't have much to say about it other than it was an interesting experience. I tried the trick where you roll upside down and right yourself- without much sucess. The people I learned from have 2 set up in their front yard.

greenketch

May 14, 2007, 8:25 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [misanthropic_nihilist] Qajaasaarneq anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Sweet to see that someone noticed this thread it is an old one. I am really enjoying the sport. There are two types of moves. Basically high and low, the low is done on ropes that are anchored about 20 feet apart with the ends about 8' high and the middle hanging to just over 4'. I am assumeing that this is what you started to learn. It's al about rolling around the line from upright all the way to upright again. On the high moves the rope is fairly tight and I believe some of them moves can be accomplished on a slackline.

I of course have fallen off more than I have been successful. But hey it's all about havin fun.Wink

Are your friends Kayakers as well. This sport is huge in sea kayak types. In fact in a rather weird twist you can't take part in many of the kayak competitions if you don't Qajaasaarneq.

doogle

May 14, 2007, 8:30 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [misanthropic_nihilist] Qajaasaarneq anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

misanthropic_nihilist wrote:
It's ironic to come across this thread now.

Coincidence, not irony.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook