g

Feb 5, 2007, 11:01 PM
Post #1 of 2 (190 views)
Shortcut

Hopped Up Illusions
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hopped Up Illusions

We are now entering a new phase in the war in Iraq with an increase in troops. A new effort to further the “enormous successes” that Dick Cheney says we’ve had. We are increasing our troop strength in Iraq to continue those “enormous successes.” Strangely, most America’s are unfamiliar with those “enormous successes,” which is why the Iraq War swept in the Democrats in this last election.

The Democrats are fighting, however mutedly, passing meaningless resolutions against the President’s plans. He is, of course, the “decider,” or the “decision maker,” so all should bow down. But the Democrats won because the people thought that they were the best option to end the war, but where are they?

Bush has explained that “I chose this course of action because it provides the best chance for success. Many in this chamber understand that America must not fail in Iraq, because you understand that the consequences of failure would be grievous and far-reaching.” This line of thought from Bush is very effective with Americans, as we have been trained to receive it. One, we hold up victory as nothing less than capitulation in the style of Japan. Two, is the ingrained propaganda effort of rotten apples, and dominos. We are led to believe that one failure will inexorably lead to further catastrophe. This has been argued, but never proven. Take Vietnam or any random third world country that evaded our boot. But it works nicely with the ultimate evil of an enemy that carries on from Germany, Russia, and now Islamic Fascists or what have you.

So what are the consequences? The path we have taken is worse that 9/11. Let’s just use the standard of cost effectiveness that is so popular with Bush and other free marketers. The attack on 9/11 probably cost the economy between 80 billion and up to 200 billion dollars according to the GAO. It is hard to figure, the economy was already sliding, and some of the cost in health problems, such as toxins put in the air will only be felt later, but the figures are typically estimated in that range. How about lives lost, well that was about 3,000 people.

So how does that compare with the response? Well, the numbers there are also foggy. We do know that more American troops have died in the War in Iraq than died on September 11th. We also know that over 20,000 troops have been injured. The cost in just funding the Iraq War is probably over 400 billion dollars, but that excludes a lot of other funding that goes into the effort. The budget for weapons development has doubled, presumably to deal with deadly IEDs. Even Business Week has reported that “the economic value of people injured and lives lost—could top $2 trillion.”

So why do we fight? It seems that the terrorism lottery is more economical than the invade them philosophy. The war has cost us more lives, more dollars, and our delusional leaders threaten our basic humanity as a nation. The Democrats can’t escape scrutiny either. They were elected to get us out of this war, and so far, it seems that they merely wish it to continue until the Presidential Election in 2008.

g

Feb 5, 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #2 of 2 (186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [g] Hopped Up Illusions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wrote that up last week, but since I haven't been around much, I wanted to give you guys some fodder.

Hey, my line sucks, so I can't watch it, but heard SNL had a skit in which they had Hillary saying, "If we had known that we didn't need to vote for the war to become President, then I wouldn't have voted for the war." Can someone confirm that?

Fucking Hillary, I'd rather vote for Pat Buchanan then her!

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$4.05 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook