Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Gannett Peak
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

saderinger

Feb 10, 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #1 of 7 (3406 views)
Shortcut

Gannett Peak  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Wind_River)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all, I am thinking of atempting Gannett Peak in the Winds in August of this year. I have been to the winds before for some rock climbing but have never done any ice or snow climbing. I would like to learn more about this and have read quite exstensively on the subject, but due to the fact that I live in Texas, I have not had much of a chance to practace these skills. I plan on taking it slow and learning as I go but I was wondering if anyone could give me some route info on Gannett besides what is in the Kelsey book. I was also curious as to how much snow there would be on the mountain. Thanks
Anthony

saderinger

Feb 11, 2007, 4:00 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saderinger] Gannett Peak [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone?

pancaketom

Feb 11, 2007, 4:51 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went up a few years back (2000) in August I think. It was a low snow year (it varies a lot from year to year and through the season). We all had ice axes, and I had crampons, but the guys I went with didn't . I think one just had 5 tennies and was fine. I'd have probably been a lot happier with lighter footwear for the hiking. The approach was definitely the crux.
I made a page with description and a photo showing some of the conditions...

http://www.electricant.net/grundyman/gannet.html

Good luck with your trip. It is a spectacular region.

petsfed

Feb 11, 2007, 5:38 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If its a low snow year, just pray for clear weather. The rest is pretty cruiser. If its a high snow year, I'd strongly suggest getting some additional glacial experience before heading up there. Gannet has the second highest failure rate of any of the 50 high points. Its not an easy peak.

saderinger

Feb 14, 2007, 2:41 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Gannett Peak [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What is a good mountain to get some glacier experience on. I dont have the money to pay a guide and as I am from Texas, I dont have a lot of friends who have experience with it. I am not afraid of failing on Gannett, I just want the experience and not to die. Any suggestions?

Partner sevrdhed

Feb 14, 2007, 2:58 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.summitpost.org

That page will have a whole lot more information on the subject, and on possible mountains around your area to practice on, than this site will. Good luck!

petsfed

Feb 15, 2007, 1:04 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

saderinger wrote:
What is a good mountain to get some glacier experience on. I dont have the money to pay a guide and as I am from Texas, I dont have a lot of friends who have experience with it. I am not afraid of failing on Gannett, I just want the experience and not to die. Any suggestions?

Rainier, Adams, Baker, any of the Cascade volcanoes will do. A lot of them are serviced by guide companies that will offer a relatively cheap intro to glacier climbing course. And even Rainier is a lot lower commitment than Gannet, and definitely worth doing on its own.

Practice rescue techniques from the comfort of your own home, and look around for other glaciers in the lower 48.

On a low snow year, its not too bad (the potentially first canine ascent of Gannet happened last summer, thanks to favorable conditions), but this summer will NOT be a low snow year.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook