RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

Partner booger

Feb 18, 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1269 views)
Shortcut

Flemish/Dutch help... Climbing Dictionary Idea
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys,

I had this idea... I'm sick of going to the crags here and only being able to use French. Feels incredibly rude speaking with Flemish and Dutch-speakers only in English. So, wondering if those Flemish/Dutch speakers amongst us could make a quick-and-dirty climbing dictionary for the rest of us? There's a climbing dictionary on this site, maybe easiest (though it's quite long) to look it over and pop in the word for those things in your language?

Along those same lines, I'm thinking of map's story about when her boyfriend went to climb in the NL and a friend told him "rope please" was (in NL) "rope, dickhead". Angelic ...although that's quite funny, I'd like to avoid those blunders if possible... SO, You guys think this is a good idea for the rest of the countries? Figured it may be nice for our visiting friends to also know that "Allez" doesn't mean "asshole", and that "sec" means "take", and it's quite normal in Italy to be called "pippa" etc. Paolo and I can/will do the Italian one.

If we have nice ones, we can send them to ddt for possible linking to the main dictionary... is my thought...Smile First, post here?

thomasribiere

Feb 18, 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [booger] Flemish/Dutch help... Climbing Dictionary Idea [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bored on a Sunday morning, eh? Good idea, though. I said 2 months ago that I would do it for French. I think it's time to act!
Bleau anytime? Wink

gvanaco

Feb 19, 2007, 8:37 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1258 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] Flemish/Dutch help... Climbing Dictionary Idea [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

take a look to this link http://www.soescalade.nl/.../klimwoordenboek.pdf

Partner booger

Feb 19, 2007, 9:15 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gvanaco] Flemish/Dutch help... Climbing Dictionary Idea [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gvanaco wrote:
take a look to this link http://www.soescalade.nl/.../klimwoordenboek.pdf

Thanks, helpful for me, but I'm not too sure it'd be helpful for the English-only speaker. A pronunciation guide might be nice too... as I have no idea how to say "beschrijving van de routes in een gebied" Unimpressed

Thomas - sorry, I must have missed that post about the dictionary. Yup, I was bored yesterday Wink

map

Feb 19, 2007, 1:45 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1243 views)
Shortcut

Re: [booger] Flemish/Dutch help... Climbing Dictionary Idea [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

booger wrote:

Along those same lines, I'm thinking of map's story about when her boyfriend went to climb in the NL and a friend told him "rope please" was (in NL) "rope, dickhead".

Actually, seems that what he was told meant "rope, please", was actually "rope, a**hole"... not that it makes any difference!Wink
He also found out after quite a while that the stuff that the girl group he was coaching at the gym kept saying with giggles as soon as he was around was only indirectly relating to his climbing skills but translated into: "nice ass"... not that I would disagree Wink

petje

Feb 26, 2007, 1:59 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1203 views)
Shortcut

Re: [map] Flemish/Dutch help... Climbing Dictionary Idea [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am from the Netherlands.

What is it exactly that you want? translations including pronounciation! take a course! damn tto as kthat on the internet is not easy. Get to learn the dutch pronounciation in a course or by getting to know me or other climber for that and learning the climbing slang.

some basics are in french for dutch climbers

so you can use 'allez', arqué, tendu, block (sec, tight, take)

rope is touw

what do u want to know more?

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook