Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
NEW Climbing in Vietnam
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

slopony

Feb 18, 2007, 2:45 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3978 views)
Shortcut

NEW Climbing in Vietnam  (Asia: Vietnam: Ha_Long_Bay)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

My friend Onslo and I are two Americans living in Ha Long Bay, Vietnam developing some dope new sport climbing, a guiding service, and possibly some bungalows for climbers. If you come out here feel free to email me. I have good beta on the new areas, boat captains, and general info.

Note: Most all known routes that are currently printed online on various websites were bolted in the 90's using steel expansion bolts. These old bolts are very questionable considering the corrosive elements of the limestone and the salt - similar to Thailand. Some are very sketchy. So climb these routes at your own risk. Hopefully, if the goverment allows, these areas can be rebolted and become safe once again.

The new routes we're putting up will be a safer alternative for the time being. As we get more traffic and hopefully some luchino (donations welcomed!!), we can switch to stainless steel or even titanium glue-ins to add some longevity to the climbing here. None of the new routes are printed yet, but you can contact us for that info.

Come check us out!

Keep an eye out for our upcoming websites: www.slopony.com and vietnamclimbing.com

Erik and Onslo

andrewmcc

Jun 23, 2007, 10:03 AM
Post #2 of 8 (3833 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slopony] NEW Climbing in Vietnam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Erik and Onslo,
I am in Bangkok right now and will be heading up to Halong bay in two or three weeks. I am with my girlfriend and we are planning on doing some climbing around Cat Ba island. We have all of our own gear. We would love to have someone show us around as it has been hard to find good beta from a guidebook. We are not sure where we are going to be staying so any suggestions (or if you have bungalows up) would be much appreciated.

Feel free to email me at: andrewmcconnico@gmail.com,

Hope your project is going well.

Andrew
In reply to:

slopony

Jun 23, 2007, 2:52 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewmcc] NEW Climbing in Vietnam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Andrew,

Good to hear another climber coming out our way! I sent you an email with lots of good beta. Check it out.

We'd be glad to help you with boats, super secret climbing locations, accommodations, and any info you might need.

Make sure you check out Krabi, while you're in Thailand.

You can respond to my email, because it's quicker for me on the island.

Cheers mate,
Erik

slopony

Jun 23, 2007, 2:54 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewmcc] NEW Climbing in Vietnam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah....don't forget to check out our website which is partially up now....finally!!!

www.slopony.com

srfrcrux

Jul 26, 2007, 7:07 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

IF you are heading to Vietnam or are interested in Deep Water Soloing at all you need to get connected with Slopony.com out of Cat Ba, Vietnam. They are an amazing group of locals and climbers from around the world dedicated to making your trip a memorable one that won’t break the bank.

We were finalizing our adoption while there and just kind of landed on their doorstep, so to speak, and they went out of their way to set us up with an Adventure even though they were totally busy with a film shoot. Erik and Onslo helped us set up absolutely everything: travel to CatBa from Hanoi, hotel accommodations, climbing trip with an amazing guide Victor, and our return to Hanoi. Not to mention our stay at the Noble House, which I believe Slopony’s team is moving into was excellent...not to mention breakfast for a dollar.

Now for the climbing aspect of the trip….thousands of limestone towers jutting out of a aqua-marine sea…really…must I say anything else! But they just don’t focus on DWS, they’ll take you to do some sport climbing or bouldering (if you’re a new to climbing they will take you on a beginner instruction course as well) with some kayaking on the side…seriously these are the people to hook up with!

Thank you so much Erik and Onslo for keeping this a climbers destination…with much love to Victor and Hung or boat crew…to the Queen (Oanh) and Peter for there hospitality

www.slopony.com

Thanx for the time…much love,

faifai726

Jul 27, 2007, 2:53 AM
Post #6 of 8 (3675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [srfrcrux] NEW Climbing in Vietnam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, I am from Hong Kong and planned to visit vietnam in late Auguest. I would probably spend 1 day to climb in Vietnam. Do you guys free to meet up at that time. I really want to share some fun with all you guys. Cheers!Wink

slopony

Jul 27, 2007, 3:06 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3672 views)
Shortcut

Re: [faifai726] NEW Climbing in Vietnam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi faifai726,

We're here every day doing our thing. We should have many more routes bolted by then! You can stop by our office on Cat Ba Island, located on the Mezzanine of the Noble House which is in the center of Cat Ba Town.

Or feel free to email us at: info@slopony.com when you have dates and know your plans. We're still working out some kinks in our website, but keep checking the forum and you can post your trip dates and hook up with some other climbers!

www.slopony.com

We're psyched to rope up and climb with you!

later on,

Pony

faifai726

Jul 27, 2007, 3:15 AM
Post #8 of 8 (3666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's good, Pony.
I really appreciate what you are doing in Vietnam.
I would inform you once I confirm my plan and dates I travel.

Look forward to see you.

Cheers,
Fai

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook