Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Charlotte, NC Gyms; US National Whitewater Center
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ncrockclimber

Feb 13, 2007, 6:25 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2774 views)
Shortcut

Charlotte, NC Gyms; US National Whitewater Center  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Central: US_National_Whitewater_Center)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone heard about the wall at this place. From the website, it looks interesting. I climb regularly at Inner Peaks, and think it is a great gym with a great staff. However, the USNWC is closer to my house. I have called them and sent a few e-mails, but the folks there seem more focused on H20 sports than climbing. It seems like they have a good facility, but I am curious if anyone has actually been there and climbed? Also any info about cost, when they are open, # of routes, ability to lead, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ncrockclimber

Feb 14, 2007, 8:40 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] Charlotte, NC Gyms; US National Whitewater Center [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bumppppp!

h-man

Feb 14, 2007, 9:00 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] Charlotte, NC Gyms; US National Whitewater Center [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Very nice for this type of climbing. Also has great natural looking features. A good place to practice crack technique. I hear they are thinking about including sport lead routes. Friendly and enthusiastic staff. Check the web site for cost and hours. Need someone to climb with, let me know.

Partner j_ung

Feb 14, 2007, 9:07 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [h-man] Charlotte, NC Gyms; US National Whitewater Center [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen it up close and was supposed to set some routes there, but they never called. My impressions are that they're more vulnerable to the weather than they think they are and that, yes, the center is more water focused right now than anything else. Nice looking wall, though.

thorne
Deleted

Feb 20, 2007, 1:30 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went out there, yesterday. For artificial climbing, it's pretty awesome. The 48' tower is noticably longer than anything at Inner Peaks. Right now, it's only bouldering and TR. The walls have bolts, but leading isn't allowed, yet.

The staff was nice. The fees are $3.00 for your belay test. Day passes (bouldering and/or roped climbing) are $13.00. The hours are noon til 8:00 or 9:00 everyday except Saturday, when they open at 10:00am.

On the downside, it seems like finding a partner might be tough and the weather could be a problem at times. Also, the website is quite lacking.

I think the lack of partners would be the big issue regarding whether or not you stay with Inner Peaks.

If you do check it out, go with a partner.

(This post was edited by thorne on Feb 20, 2007, 1:32 PM)

ncrockclimber

Feb 20, 2007, 2:11 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thorne] Charlotte, NC Gyms; US National Whitewater Center [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the info. i stopped by there during the bouldering contest this weekend, and the facility looked impressive. i am not too sure about it being outdoors, but if the weather is good it might be fun for a day or two. i do not think that inner peaks has anything to worry about...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook