First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hangerlessbolt

Feb 27, 2007, 9:09 AM
Post #1 of 36 (1513 views)
Shortcut

FOX News - Taken Seriously?
Report this Post
Can't Post

I picked up the video: Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism, because I enjoy documentaries of varying flavors.

Plot: Documentary on reported Conservative bias of the Rupert Murdoch-owned Fox News Channel (FNC), which promotes itself as "Fair and Balanced". Material includes interviews with former FNC employees and the inter-office memos they provided.

Quite honestly, I never thought independent thinkers took FOX News seriously.
Was I wrong?

ChuteandClimb

Feb 27, 2007, 9:14 AM
Post #2 of 36 (1509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hangerlessbolt] FOX News - Taken Seriously? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Fox "Network" has fine and sophisticated programming, LaughLaughLaugh

for example, while other stations have American Idol or the next country star - Fox is launching the Next Pussycat Doll competition.

Thus giving viewers what they REALLY want.

and without any shame at all.

reno

Feb 27, 2007, 9:53 AM
Post #3 of 36 (1498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hangerlessbolt wrote:
Was I wrong?

Depends. (tm)

Fox News, like CNN, MSNBC, ABC, and the rest of them all have a wheat-chaff ratio. Some have more chaff than others.

To blindly accept everything that you get from ANY single source is bad joss. But so is wholesale rejection of everything you get from one source.

Partner epoch

Feb 27, 2007, 12:16 PM
Post #4 of 36 (1479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hangerlessbolt wrote:
I picked up the video: Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism, because I enjoy documentaries of varying flavors.

You're a sad man..........

rmsusa

Feb 27, 2007, 2:56 PM
Post #5 of 36 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Was I wrong?

Take news for news. Take opinion for opinion (with a grain of salt, no matter where it comes from).

Distinguish carefully between the two. ALL of the news networks have a mixture of both.

Independent thinkers scan all the sources. Ideologues discard one side and listen only to the other.

hangerlessbolt

Feb 27, 2007, 3:47 PM
Post #6 of 36 (1446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] FOX News - Taken Seriously? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So the next, most obvious, question would be...where do you get your news?

The 'Big 3'
PBS/ NPR
BBC
CNN
Al Jezeera
The onion

I suppose I could have began this thread as a poll.

pinktricam

Feb 27, 2007, 5:34 PM
Post #7 of 36 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hangerlessbolt wrote:

The 'Big 3'
PBS/ NPR
BBC
CNN
Al Jezeera
The onion

Compared to everything you've listed above, FOX is actually fair and balanced. However, though it's actually a compilation of news, you forgot the Drudge Report...

...hey, a poll wouldn't be such a bad idea.

petsfed

Feb 27, 2007, 9:05 PM
Post #8 of 36 (1429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] FOX News - Taken Seriously? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
hangerlessbolt wrote:

The 'Big 3'
PBS/ NPR
BBC
CNN
Al Jezeera
The onion

Compared to everything you've listed above, FOX is actually fair and balanced. However, though it's actually a compilation of news, you forgot the Drudge Report...

Hey now, if you compare Fox's conservative bias to NPR's liberal bias and then compare that to CNN's bias (which I'm aware of, but I just can't pigeonhole it to one side or the other), you'll find that none of them come out as terribly fair and balanced.

In other words, get your news from as many sources as possible. When they all agree on something, it might be close to the truth.

themadmilkman

Feb 27, 2007, 11:41 PM
Post #9 of 36 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] FOX News - Taken Seriously? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
hangerlessbolt wrote:

The 'Big 3'
PBS/ NPR
BBC
CNN
Al Jezeera
The onion

Hey now, if you compare Fox's conservative bias to NPR's liberal bias and then compare that to CNN's bias (which I'm aware of, but I just can't pigeonhole it to one side or the other), you'll find that none of them come out as terribly fair and balanced.

In other words, get your news from as many sources as possible. When they all agree on something, it might be close to the truth.

My problem with Fox News (or any other news channel) doesn't come from the hours where there are two anchors sitting there reciting the day's stories. It comes when there is some retard with a call-in number spouting crap and yelling at anybody who dares say a single word of opposition.

And I find that Fox has the worst of them.

overlord

Feb 28, 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #10 of 36 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
hangerlessbolt wrote:

The 'Big 3'
PBS/ NPR
BBC
CNN
Al Jezeera
The onion

đ

LOL, you really believe that, dont you? while far from ideal, BBC is much better than fox. CNN is not so good, but still leagues above fox. i dont know about the others.

its really funny how many ppl think fox is anywhere near a good news service, when in fact its just a rung above yellow press.

wanderlustmd

Feb 28, 2007, 3:54 AM
Post #11 of 36 (1412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hangerlessbolt wrote:

The 'Big 3'
PBS/ NPR
BBC
CNN
Al Jezeera
The onion

Onion is key, but how could you forget The Daily Show?!?

Laugh

When it comes to the war, I keep in touch with Army buddies overseas. They tend to lean to the right but aren't shy about saying when the US has screwed something up (in their opinion). I trust them more than some fucktard reporter with an agenda and screwy facts.

(This post was edited by wanderlustmd on Feb 28, 2007, 3:56 AM)

winkwinklambonini

Feb 28, 2007, 6:17 AM
Post #12 of 36 (1394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] FOX News - Taken Seriously? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if someone does a poll, check the multiple options box. And it should include:

DemocracyNow.org
Daily Show

shakylegs

Feb 28, 2007, 7:24 AM
Post #13 of 36 (1385 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChuteandClimb] FOX News - Taken Seriously? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ChuteandClimb wrote:
The Fox "Network" has fine and sophisticated programming, LaughLaughLaugh

for example, while other stations have American Idol or the next country star - Fox is launching the Next Pussycat Doll competition.

Um, actually, American Idol is on Fox.
Not that I watch.

dingus

Feb 28, 2007, 7:41 AM
Post #14 of 36 (1376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think bias is irrelevant, as is the vast majority of what we call 'the news.'

The most relevant news I get each week is the local section of my local paper, followed by the metro section, then the national. Throw in lots of PBS and a smattering of PBS supported BBC and the occasional 'nightly news' with one of the current crop of losers, and voila.

No cable.

DMT

DMT

pinktricam

Feb 28, 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #15 of 36 (1359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] FOX News - Taken Seriously? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

overlord wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
hangerlessbolt wrote:

The 'Big 3'
PBS/ NPR
BBC
CNN
Al Jezeera
The onion

đ

LOL, you really believe that, dont you? while far from ideal, BBC is much better than fox. CNN is not so good, but still leagues above fox. i dont know about the others.

its really funny how many ppl think fox is anywhere near a good news service, when in fact its just a rung above yellow press.
Better than FOX, heh, funny...I listen to the BBC most weekday mornings and find them most certainly biased with a liberal slant and many of their interview questions are quite leading. CNN is mostly liberal with a token sprinkle of conservative news people.

ChuteandClimb

Feb 28, 2007, 2:14 PM
Post #16 of 36 (1339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [themadmilkman] FOX News - Taken Seriously? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

themadmilkman wrote:
My problem with Fox News (or any other news channel) doesn't come from the hours where there are two anchors sitting there reciting the day's stories. It comes when there is some retard with a call-in number spouting crap and yelling at anybody who dares say a single word of opposition.

In other words, you don't have an issue with Fox "News", you have an issue with Fox "Opinion Shows".

For those that can't tell the difference, I'd say they probably wouldn't be able to survive in the real world anyway.

petsfed

Feb 28, 2007, 2:33 PM
Post #17 of 36 (1336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
Better than FOX, heh, funny...I listen to the BBC most weekday mornings and find them most certainly biased with a liberal slant and many of their interview questions are quite leading. CNN is mostly liberal with a token sprinkle of conservative news people.

I suppose its a matter of location, but for whatever reason, Britain is simply more leftist than the US. Thus it comes as no surprise that the BBC is more "liberal" than say FOX, which is unabashedly rightist.

The "color" sections (interviews, opinion shows, editorials, etc) are problematic since they show bias much more easily. That's not a bad thing. In fact its the point. Instead look at the black and white news they present and try to figure out which way they lean.

I picked out interviews as "color" pieces because anything beyond eye-witness or as-it-happens interviews (ones that can't be summed up as "what happened?" "how did you respond?" "why did you respond that way?") are color pieces, where the commentator gets an opportunity to question the decisions of the person being interviewed.

Still, recall that bias is not neccesarily a bad thing. Bias allows us to measure, compare and contrast. What we consider bad bias is a point of view that the vast majority of us don't neccesarily agree with.

rmsusa

Feb 28, 2007, 3:29 PM
Post #18 of 36 (1324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hangerlessbolt wrote:

The 'Big 3'
PBS/ NPR
BBC
CNN
Al Jezeera
The onion

All except the last two. Plus, my business is in Latin America, so I read 3 or 4 Latin newspapers. I sort of monitor Fox & CNBC. Don't forget Local Newspaper, Wall St. Journal, Economist, BusinessWeek, etc. LOTS of sources.

winkwinklambonini

Feb 28, 2007, 5:34 PM
Post #19 of 36 (1314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] FOX News - Taken Seriously? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Even NPR pisses me off sometimes. Not counting their insistance on repeating their names every ten seconds, the Bush interview was absolute pandering trash. And the op-eds they play on Marketplace sound like they are written by zombies.

Oh and here's your Communist News NetworkCrazy

dingus

Feb 28, 2007, 6:32 PM
Post #20 of 36 (1303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On 2nd thought Colbert seems pretty unbiased to me.

DMT

overlord

Mar 1, 2007, 12:50 AM
Post #21 of 36 (1284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] FOX News - Taken Seriously? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you know what is really funny?

that some americans are so conservative that they accuse britain (and bbc) being leftists, liberals etc.

offcourse, if you look from the right-wing perspective, they are more left than youd like. but still, BBC has much less bias than fox. and offcourse every news provider is biased, its up to you to decide who has the least amount of it. thy some german news services, theyre excellent. cnn used to be 'liberal' but its turning into something that is not much better than fox.

anyway, i see bbc as decidedly centrist, but then again, im not a right-wing fox loving person. and if you believe that britain is currently anywhere near the left, you should really look again.

energizer

Mar 1, 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #22 of 36 (1265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a good resource (Note: if you don't want to read the whole thing, scroll to page 65): http://www.polisci.ucla.edu/...close/Media.Bias.pdf

My biggest qualm with the above-cited source is it does not take into account the framing under which the think tanks are presented.

I think it's important to realize that the media is a business just like any other. It is my opinion that the media does not influence people's decisions, but rather people seek media outlets that reflect their own opinions. How many older, conservative individuals get their news from the Daily Show? Probably not many, if any. The media simply caters to viewers, just like any other programming does.

ChuteandClimb

Mar 1, 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #23 of 36 (1250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [energizer] FOX News - Taken Seriously? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

energizer wrote:
I think it's important to realize that the media is a business just like any other. It is my opinion that the media does not influence people's decisions, but rather people seek media outlets that reflect their own opinions. How many older, conservative individuals get their news from the Daily Show? Probably not many, if any. The media simply caters to viewers, just like any other programming does.

ding ding ding, Fox found a market that was not tapped and they filled it. good business decision

other (in general, not energizer specifically)

1 - if you think something is rightist or leftist, it is - compared to you. Combine this with an attitude that nearly EVERYONE thinks they are moderate and you get statements that so and so leans left/right. These discussions are pointless.

2 - If a show has debates - it's not news
3 - If a show has call in lines - it's not news
4 - If a show has a "panel" - it's not news
5 - If an interview asks for opinion - that part is not 'news', it's editorial
6 - If a show includes viewer mail - it's not news

but these all might be shows that occur on a NEWS Station - because opinion and debate about the 'news' can also be good programming as part of a news station's lineup

I think Fox does good "News Briefs" in between all the opinion shows. The opinion shows certainly are popular and let the "business" make tons of money.

I think Fox is pretty transparent in how their bias reflects in the opinion shows

yet they seem fairly non-biased in the pure news reporting.

Other station do ok too, but most are a bit more devious in how they try to present their bias "as" news

best bet, get info from various sources, filter the spin and draw conclusions from that if so inclined

Me? I like to watch Scrubs - it's the best news show out there

mbg

Mar 1, 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #24 of 36 (1241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChuteandClimb] FOX News - Taken Seriously? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

True journalism is dead.

ChuteandClimb

Mar 2, 2007, 8:18 AM
Post #25 of 36 (1201 views)