RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

nikegirl

Sep 28, 2001, 12:56 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Finding your breath in climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How aware are you in your breathing in climbing?

I'm posting this in the general Topic, only because I'm not sure what exactly this could be placed. Part of me thinks, in General or in Training/Technique.

In climbing, I tell myself this. Breath. It's my way of coming into check. Breathing even deep breaths, somehow, makes it so that I don't quit. breathing in a panic of fear, reminds me to take control and of not just letting up. Muscles use the oxygen, and keep the energy flowing.

Has your breathing helped with your flow?
Has your breathing gotten you out of a close call?
T

marcsv

Sep 28, 2001, 1:06 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Finding your breath in climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i usually hyperventilate before a dyno. mostly its slow deep breathes, it helps fighting off burns

kahuna3602

Sep 28, 2001, 3:03 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I seem to have to opposite problem in so far as I concentrate so intently that I forget to breathe. Fortunately I have a great partner and she has the "breathe Al, breathe" mantra down pat.

coach

Sep 28, 2001, 6:50 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Something the guy that coaches me had me start doing when I hit a crux was to shut my eyes a moment, take a couple of deep breaths and relax and then go for it. I found that it helps my concentration and clears the mind of what you have already done to focus on the move better.

Climb On

Partner russman

Sep 28, 2001, 8:50 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

breathing is an important concentration method...I have to tell myself to breathe whenever I start doing something very focused. When I was a big Mt Biker in college...I would jsut concentrate on breathing and pumping the pedals...and would watch my speed rise greatly...smae for climbing..."...breathe Russ breathe" Works great...Still Love to fly down a hill on my bike doing 55 mph...scary as hell but breathing helps

jds100

Sep 28, 2001, 12:16 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tightening up makes it physically harder to breathe adequately, so, yeah, being conscious of breathing can only help keep the rest of the body from over-tightening, too. Ideally, we only use the muscles we actually need for any given move or stance, right? But, I will find myself in a near complete overall tension sometimes, and it's certain that my body (muscles) aren't getting the oxygen it needs then.

Todd Skinner wrote a chapter in Eric Horst's book, "Flash Training", on the mental aspects of climbing and training, and he offers a relaxing technique for use during the climb that's worth looking at. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I know it involves breathing deeply in through the nose and holding briefly (a second), and exhaling, fully, out the mouth. Just a couple breaths or so to get calmed, not to hyperventilate. Then, smile; it really helps relax the fear. Check it out; maybe he's got it on a website.

stigonrock

Sep 28, 2001, 1:41 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey nikegirl

Its amazing how many of us forget about breathing but I know when I have got in sticky scary situations especially in my earlier years of climbing when I wasn't so experienced that breathing really helped me out on trad routes.

I remember having moments on a couple of harder climbs (hard for me) when I've perhaps come to a move which is bold and Im running out of strength and Im 20 odd feet above a nut or something, straight away I focus on my breathing, trying to relax it and me and only then (if I haven't run out of steam) I go for it.

Another example ..when Ive been working a sports route which is a bit hard for me so it might take a few goes, when I finally go for the redpoint specially on 'touch and go' climbs I really concentrate on my breathing cause it gets me really focused..then Im really in the zone and everything flows. Doesn't always work but Im getting there.

Yeah you gotta breath..focus.. breath .. focus ..breeeeeeathe ...thats for sure!

k2exp2010

Sep 28, 2001, 3:16 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

make yourself breate at a regular pace long enough and it will become second-nature. it helps in keeping you from tiring too quickly and keeps the blood flowing.

ratstar

Oct 1, 2001, 8:10 AM
Post #9 of 10 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do yoga to help with my breathing you guys should try it. It helps so much.

tyraidbp

Oct 4, 2001, 2:09 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think there are times when, if you breathe, you will fall off. When bouldering, sometimes you want to get a good breath, then hold it, and bust your moves. I know this does not sound right, but I am still working on finding out all the details so I can describe this better. It has part to do with your balance, and part to do with your muscular capacity. The trick is is to come out of a move(once you hit a good hold)to be able to regain your breath calmly. Then gear up to do it again. Note, this is only on hard problems(whatever that might be for each of you)not for warming up or cooling down. Once I have all the details down and a better explaination, I will give it to you.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$105.30 (10% off)
$11.66 (10% off)
$44.96 (10% off)
$14.58 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook