Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Quick Climbing Fix Near Rome??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

chalker7

Mar 5, 2007, 7:33 AM
Post #1 of 7 (4667 views)
Shortcut

Quick Climbing Fix Near Rome??  (Europe: Italy: Central_Italy)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I apologize for not speaking Ialian, as I'd really love to. I just didn't have time try and learn anything since I found out I was to be travelling there.

Anyway, I will be spending my spring break in Rome with my aunt. Since this is not a climbing trip I'm not bringing my gear, but was wondering if there's any bouldering anywhere near Rome? I could easily bring my climbing shoes and a chalk bag, if I knew it were worth it. So I was hoping someone could help me out and let me know if there's an area near Rome where I can get a quick fix. Thanks.

Peace.
Colby.

northfacejmb

Mar 5, 2007, 8:03 AM
Post #2 of 7 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalker7] Quick Climbing Fix Near Rome?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you could always climb the Colosseum

james_climber

Mar 5, 2007, 8:23 AM
Post #3 of 7 (4650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chalker7 wrote:
I apologize for not speaking Ialian, as I'd really love to. I just didn't have time try and learn anything since I found out I was to be travelling there.

Anyway, I will be spending my spring break in Rome with my aunt. Since this is not a climbing trip I'm not bringing my gear, but was wondering if there's any bouldering anywhere near Rome? I could easily bring my climbing shoes and a chalk bag, if I knew it were worth it. So I was hoping someone could help me out and let me know if there's an area near Rome where I can get a quick fix. Thanks.

Peace.
Colby.

Ok im in the same , looking for some climbing area in rome , i think ill be there in may, ill bring my gear

Chalker7 if you have something let me know

redpoint73

Mar 5, 2007, 9:34 AM
Post #4 of 7 (4643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I be curious to see what people say. But it would have to be pretty good bouldering to be worthwhile. I only spent a week in Rome, but traveled much of the city and didn't see any rock. Getting out of town is a hassle unless you have a car (which I don't recommend, driving in Rome is a nightmare).

If you are only going to be there for a week or 2, my advice would be to just enjoy the city and not worry about a climbing fix. The city is amazing and you will not see another like it. Between the sites from the ancient Roman empire, Renaissance architecture and art, and wonderful food, Rome is a unique experience.

Frankly, kicking around the city doing the tourist thing usually bores the crap out of me. Not so with Rome. Rome was one of the few non-climbing, non-outdoorsy vacations I have had in the past several years, and the only "sightseeing" vacation I have ever had where I was completely content with enjoying the art, architecture and food. "Content" does not accurately describe it actually, "overwhelmed" would be more appropriate. I spent the entire week soaking up the history and culture, and could easily have spent 2 or 3 weeks doing so w/o becoming tired of it. Given, I am not very well traveled, but my wife spent a year traveling England and France, and she says that Rome topped the other cities she has seen, by far.

Since I haven't heard about the climbing in that area, I'd be willing to guess that its nothing spectacular. Thats just a guess of course. But as I see it, you can spend a day trying to get to some so-so climbing, when you can probably access some better climbing back at home or on another trip. Or you can enjoy the unique sights of the city which you will not see anywhere else.

slablizard

Mar 5, 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #5 of 7 (4635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint73] Quick Climbing Fix Near Rome?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redpoint73 wrote:
I be curious to see what people say. But it would have to be pretty good bouldering to be worthwhile. I only spent a week in Rome, but traveled much of the city and didn't see any rock. Getting out of town is a hassle unless you have a car (which I don't recommend, driving in Rome is a nightmare).

If you are only going to be there for a week or 2, my advice would be to just enjoy the city and not worry about a climbing fix. The city is amazing and you will not see another like it. Between the sites from the ancient Roman empire, Renaissance architecture and art, and wonderful food, Rome is a unique experience.

Frankly, kicking around the city doing the tourist thing usually bores the crap out of me. Not so with Rome. Rome was one of the few non-climbing, non-outdoorsy vacations I have had in the past several years, and the only "sightseeing" vacation I have ever had where I was completely content with enjoying the art, architecture and food. "Content" does not accurately describe it actually, "overwhelmed" would be more appropriate. I spent the entire week soaking up the history and culture, and could easily have spent 2 or 3 weeks doing so w/o becoming tired of it. Given, I am not very well traveled, but my wife spent a year traveling England and France, and she says that Rome topped the other cities she has seen, by far.

Since I haven't heard about the climbing in that area, I'd be willing to guess that its nothing spectacular. Thats just a guess of course. But as I see it, you can spend a day trying to get to some so-so climbing, when you can probably access some better climbing back at home or on another trip. Or you can enjoy the unique sights of the city which you will not see anywhere else.

Very good points ! :)

As for climbing you don't have any within the city, that I know of, on real rock, there are of course climbing gyms.
www.jollypower.com
http://www.falesia.it/

you can hook up with climbers there and find a ride to major sport crags / bouldering fields around the city within 2 hours drive.

Don't climb the colosseum unless you want to get arrrested...or do it a 3 AM..like I did back in the 90s
watch out it's a dangerous place full of unmarked sinkholes, wells and tunnels.
Sly

chalker7

Mar 5, 2007, 10:15 AM
Post #6 of 7 (4628 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint73] Quick Climbing Fix Near Rome?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redpoint73 wrote:

I'm typically the anti tourism type so thats why I had inquired about the climbing. Seeing that I will likely be enthralled by the city alone I won't be taking any gear. Thanks for the insight. I did have access to a car and could have picked from any number of Italian family members who aren't afraid of driving (I would be), but I think I'll just enjoy the food and culture.

redpoint73

Mar 5, 2007, 10:17 AM
Post #7 of 7 (4626 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slablizard] Quick Climbing Fix Near Rome?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slablizard wrote:
Don't climb the colosseum unless you want to get arrrested...or do it a 3 AM..like I did back in the 90s

Sly

Haha! Really? Do you have any pics? That would be friggin' sweet. Gotta have evidence for an ascent like that!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook