RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

dr_feelgood

Mar 6, 2007, 4:10 AM
Post #1 of 5 (546 views)
Shortcut

Whisperlite internationales
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What fuels have you burned with them? How about high proof alcohol. I don't care what the manual says(it's sitting in front of me), i want gritty stories of siphoning dirty fuel to cook your oodles of noodles...

joshy8200

Mar 6, 2007, 4:21 AM
Post #2 of 5 (538 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Whisperlite internationales [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No experience with anything but white gas here. Sorry. I can say that I got my Whisper Lite International from a friend that used...kerosene and diesel I think and stored it for a loooong time before giving it to me for helping him move out of his house. It only took me (and I had no idea about the stove) 10min to look up some brief instructions, take the whole thing apart, wipe clean and the thing has worked well ever since.

majid_sabet

Mar 6, 2007, 4:25 AM
Post #3 of 5 (535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do not know about Whisperlite but I used 91 oct gas, Diesel, WD40 (no kidding) , Industrial alcohol, paint thinner, on my coleman peak gas stove, it burns any thing .

ryanb

Mar 6, 2007, 5:10 AM
Post #4 of 5 (513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Whisperlite internationales [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to work with an ex msr engineer. His advice, if you want long life, reliability and the best performance was to burn straight benzine from a chem supply store. They really don't work that well with strange fuels.

I run normall white gas in mine. Even if its "gasolina blanca" dispensed in two litter soda bottles at the local hardware store, its allways been more or less available. If it is at old or dirty the stove will clog. Running fuel through a funnel with a filter screen may help but get used to disasembeling and cleaning it.

I also have had two old style pumps explode (tabs holding the plunger break shooting it across the camp site and spraying fuel everywhere).

Tempromental piece of junk in other words. Can warm the food up generally...clogs every few weeks of use and requires a 10 minute cleaning (pain in the ass when you are cold and hungry and its dark)... except when the pump blows up then the thing is useless and its cold top rammen for you.

Have a new style pump now and hopefully it will last longer then a few years. Maybe i just have bad luck but it sure makes a homemade rubbing alcohol stove look good.

Davey

Mar 6, 2007, 7:50 AM
Post #5 of 5 (486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had a friend use jet fuel over in Iraq. Give it a try. I think he primed it with gas to get it to light.

Me I've used gas, diesel, white gas, isobrobanal (I think that’s how it’s spelled), carb cleaner, and rusty dirty gas from the tank of an abandoned 72 chev.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook