Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Trad climbing near Prescott?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

alpinerockfiend

Mar 7, 2007, 3:04 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3529 views)
Shortcut

Trad climbing near Prescott?  (North_America: United_States: Arizona)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My girlfriend is probably going to Prescott College for grad school, and I'm curious about the climbing around there. I don't really know anything about the area. Is there a pretty good climbing community? I'm mostly a trad climber. Is climbing possible/probable in the winter?

infidel

Mar 8, 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alpinerockfiend] Trad climbing near Prescott? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's hard to answer not knowing where you're at and what you mean by "near". If "near" means within 100 miles then you're in for some fantastic climbing throughout northern AZ. If "near" means within 15 minutes your limited to some nice bouldering and a few bolted lines I believe.

Prescott / Prescott college is full of climbers (or was 12 years ago when I was there). I believe it's really grown up and got commercialized though.

You can be at Paradise Forks in about 45 min to an hour I think, some of the sweetest cracks and dihedrals you'll find. Really cold in the winter though. For winter rock you should try Jacks Canyon East of Flagstaff, lots of sun baked rock there but no trad stuff.

To the south you've got the Sedona climbing scene, but that requires some pretty big balls, good in the wintertime though.

I also climbed at a place called "the promised land" that was a bit of a secret just north of Prescott, taken there by some Prescott College folks when I was a beginner. Maybe it's more developed now, maybe still a secret.

(This post was edited by infidel on Mar 8, 2007, 12:59 PM)

alpinerockfiend

Mar 8, 2007, 1:04 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [infidel] Trad climbing near Prescott? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool. Thanks a lot. That's a good range of "near"s.

sonso45

Mar 8, 2007, 1:08 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The obvious trad destination is Granite Mtn located at the west end of town. It's in the routes database. There is a guidebook to the Promised Land's quartzite sport and trad routes. The winters in AZ are mild and quite a few folks do climb the Forks then, especially the sunny walls. When you come down, pm me and I can show you around. How hard do you climb?

infidel

Mar 8, 2007, 1:16 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Trad climbing near Prescott? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh yes, forgot granite mountain, the local favorite.

ja1484

Mar 8, 2007, 1:35 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [infidel] Trad climbing near Prescott? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad he asked the question so I wouldn't have to. I'll be heading to Prescott this September for two months, looking forward to hitting some of the lines there. First time in AZ.

azbc

Mar 8, 2007, 2:03 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Granite Mt., Paradise Forks and Sedona are the obvious and best trad candidates. Areas that are closer and/or take less time are Sullivan's Canyon (Forks-like basalt cracks), Granite Dells (JT-like rock) and Thumb Butte (basalt). Promise Land is more of a sport area. Best bouldering is up at Groom Creek although there are plenty of opportunities right in town. Granite Mt. Outfitters and Manzanita Outdoors have all the guides, info. etc. Still lots of climbers at PC. Good beer at Prescott Brewery on Gurley.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook