Premier Sponsor:

thomasribiere

Mar 12, 2007, 3:32 PM
Post #1 of 8 (489 views)
Shortcut

New Testament
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK. I've read parts of the Bible (Old Testament) and of the Coran, but never had a look at the New Testament. I'm not sure that I want to read in extenso, so what are its best pieces : the most poetic, the most important for you Christians, the most important for you Non-Christians? Is there some nasty pages? Some erotic pages? Some violent pages? Some moving pages? Some ragic pages?

I go to bed now and won't read your answers before tomorrow, so have at it.

NB : I absolutely don't believe in god and hardly believe in Jesus, and I will read this book more to develop my culture than anythins else.

cellardoor

Mar 12, 2007, 5:28 PM
Post #2 of 8 (478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] New Testament [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Thomas,

Ok, for my opinion on a good survey of the NT, i'd say def. read one of the gospels (first 4 books of the NT, they all tell accounts of jesus' life). I'd prob. recommend john.

Next, depending on how much time you have, acts is great as it tells what the disciples did with jesus' message, it's quite action packed.

Romans is good for a concise and deducted treatise on the message of christ as written by paul. I'd recommend to get a clearer picture of what christ was talking about.

Next, probably good to get an impression of paul's letters, i think phillipians is one of the most straightforward and beautiful.

Hebrews is alittle terse, but really rich when the audience is kept in mind. It presents jesus in an apologetic form by connecting him to the OT.

I'm a big fan of 1 John for it's imagery and the language john uses. I think it's quite beautiful.

Lastly, the juicy one. Revelations as you probably have heard is prophecy about the end times. It reads like a fantasy novel.

Anyway, it all depends how much time you want to spend. Perhaps with some other responses a more refined list will shine through, but that's my take.

petsfed

Mar 12, 2007, 7:46 PM
Post #3 of 8 (467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cellardoor] New Testament [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cellardoor wrote:
Lastly, the juicy one. Revelations as you probably have heard is prophecy about the end times. It reads like a fantasy novel.

Keep in mind with Revelations that its less about the end times and more to inspire the faithful that what they're doing will eventually be rewarded.

c4c

Mar 13, 2007, 5:09 AM
Post #4 of 8 (445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thomas, I would agree with cellardoor. I am also willing to discuss any questions that you might have as well. enjoy.

thomasribiere

Mar 13, 2007, 5:19 AM
Post #5 of 8 (440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] New Testament [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I started yesterday's evenig with John's Apocalypse. Not bad.
I had one of my worst nights in a long time (woke up 3 times, sweating).
ANy link???

slablizard

Mar 13, 2007, 12:13 PM
Post #6 of 8 (419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thomasribiere wrote:
I started yesterday's evenig with John's Apocalypse. Not bad.
I had one of my worst nights in a long time (woke up 3 times, sweating).
ANy link???

The Horror.....The Horror.

hangerlessbolt

Mar 13, 2007, 1:29 PM
Post #7 of 8 (407 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slablizard] New Testament [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I suggest that, as time allows, you read all of it. I found the NT(NKJV) to be a relatively easy read, and, at a third of the length of the OT, it went by quickly.
Of course, I studied the Bible in high school as it was a required course. (Yes...a private academy.)

coopershawk

Mar 13, 2007, 4:36 PM
Post #8 of 8 (389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cliff notes, dudeWink. I believe the New Testament has been condensed into five pages and the cost is about $5.99, used, from Borders.

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$53.96 (10% off)
$11.66 (10% off)
$6.26 (10% off)
$57.56 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook