Premier Sponsor:

blondgecko

Mar 16, 2007, 4:10 PM
Post #1 of 16 (952 views)
Shortcut

La Times op-ed piece by Sam Harris
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mentions Pete Stark, apparently the United States' first openly atheist congressman.

Link.

I've appropriated the final sentence as my new sig. Cool

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 16, 2007, 4:24 PM
Post #2 of 16 (946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] La Times op-ed piece by Sam Harris [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like your old sig better brutha...

Those whom your new sig is mostly directed to cannot appreciate it.

blondgecko

Mar 16, 2007, 4:46 PM
Post #3 of 16 (939 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrradam] La Times op-ed piece by Sam Harris [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps, perhaps. Still, I was bored with the old one, and figured it was time for a change.

slablizard

Mar 16, 2007, 5:04 PM
Post #4 of 16 (935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
Mentions Pete Stark, apparently the United States' first openly atheist congressman.

Link.

I've appropriated the final sentence as my new sig. Cool

Awesome!
Stark for president!

(This post was edited by slablizard on Mar 16, 2007, 5:05 PM)

veganclimber

Mar 16, 2007, 5:05 PM
Post #5 of 16 (934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An atheist in the government. We are doomed.

petsfed

Mar 16, 2007, 5:38 PM
Post #6 of 16 (931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] La Times op-ed piece by Sam Harris [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:

I think you're being sarcastic, but I can't tell. Are you?

reno

Mar 16, 2007, 6:34 PM
Post #7 of 16 (927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] La Times op-ed piece by Sam Harris [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

I think he is, too.

And the article in the OP is pretty well done.

What I find odd, is that some people think it's OK to not vote for a candidate because of his or her religion, but it's not OK to not vote for someone based simply on gender or race.

When we get past such pettiness, we'll start to see better candidates win, I think.

veganclimber

Mar 16, 2007, 7:19 PM
Post #8 of 16 (919 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] La Times op-ed piece by Sam Harris [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

Yes, I am.

veganclimber

Mar 16, 2007, 7:43 PM
Post #9 of 16 (915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] La Times op-ed piece by Sam Harris [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
What I find odd, is that some people think it's OK to not vote for a candidate because of his or her religion, but it's not OK to not vote for someone based simply on gender or race.

When we get past such pettiness, we'll start to see better candidates win, I think.

I don't completely agree with that. Race and gender are irrelevant but religion is a choice you make. I think it is reasonable to take a candidates general outlook on life into account when deciding who to vote for.

Of course I don't really care what someone calls their religion. I have no problem voting for a Christian for example, but I would never vote for someone like Bush Sr. who won't even acknowledge that I (an atheist) am a citizen.

hangerlessbolt

Mar 16, 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #10 of 16 (905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] La Times op-ed piece by Sam Harris [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
What I find odd, is that some people think it's OK to not vote for a candidate because of his or her religion...

Allow me to introduce you to "Joe American"

Joe is of average intelligence. He has a joe job, a joe wife, and 2.5 joe kids.

Joe bar-b-qs during the summer and puts joe lights on his house in the winter.

Joe is, well Joe is your average American citizen.

When it comes to elections, Joe doesnt take the time to research the candidates credentials or voting record. Joes far too busy doing joe things for that kind of stuff.

Joe doesnt vote in the local or state elections, because Joe knows that the only election that really matters is for the presidency. Its like the joe superbowl of elections.

And when it comes to the superbowl of elections, Joe knows to follow his gut feeling..

Joe thinks a womans place is in the home, caring for the joe kids or maybe at work, helping to make the Joe mortgage. Certainly not in the White House looking after the welfare of joe civiliansthats a mans job. Thats the way its been, thats the way it is, and thats the way it should be.

Joe doesnt mind black people. But joe doesnt think its a minoritys place to run a country whos population is made up of mostly white folks. Besides, whos going to want to discuss foreign affairs over chicken and watermelon. [insert joe chuckle]

Joe is a born-again Christian, although he doesnt go to church regularly. Heck, Joe hasnt been to church since he got married to his joe wife. But Joe knows that there is only one god and thats the god Joes beloved America was founded onthe god thats referred to on all Joes money.

Joe doesnt know a Saudi from an Iraqia sunni from a kurdwhen it comes to foreigners, Joes motto is Go home.

Yep, Joes an alright guybut theres a reason Joe doesnt like talking about religion or politics.

As Winston Churchill is believed to have said, "The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter."

kr0g3r

Mar 17, 2007, 2:55 PM
Post #11 of 16 (891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hangerlessbolt] La Times op-ed piece by Sam Harris [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hangerlessbolt wrote:
reno wrote:
What I find odd, is that some people think it's OK to not vote for a candidate because of his or her religion...

Joe bar-b-q�s during the summer and puts joe lights on his house in the winter.

Joe is, well� Joe is your average American citizen.

When it comes to elections, Joe doesn�t take the time to research the candidate�s credentials or voting record. Joe�s far too busy doing joe things for that kind of stuff.

Joe doesn�t vote in the local or state elections, because Joe knows that the only election that really matters is for the presidency. It�s like the joe superbowl of elections.

And when it comes to the superbowl of elections, Joe knows to follow his gut feeling..

Joe thinks a woman�s place is in the home, caring for the joe kids or maybe at work, helping to make the Joe mortgage. Certainly not in the White House looking after the welfare of joe civilians�that�s a man�s job. That�s the way it�s been, that�s the way it is, and that�s the way it should be.

Joe doesn�t mind black people. But joe doesn�t think it�s a minority�s place to run a country who�s population is made up of mostly white folks. Besides, who�s going to want to discuss foreign affairs over chicken and watermelon. [insert joe chuckle]

Joe is a born-again Christian, although he doesn�t go to church regularly. Heck, Joe hasn�t been to church since he got married to his joe wife. But Joe knows that there is only one god and that�s the god Joe�s beloved America was founded on�the god that�s referred to on all Joe�s money.

Joe doesn�t know a Saudi from an Iraqi�a sunni from a kurd�when it comes to foreigners, Joe�s motto is �Go home�.

Yep, Joe�s an alright guy�but there�s a reason Joe doesn�t like talking about religion or politics.

As Winston Churchill is believed to have said, "The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter."

That was beautiful.

blondgecko

Mar 17, 2007, 4:28 PM
Post #12 of 16 (887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kr0g3r] La Times op-ed piece by Sam Harris [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kr0g3r wrote:
hangerlessbolt wrote:
reno wrote:

Joe bar-b-q�s during the summer and puts joe lights on his house in the winter.

Joe is, well� Joe is your average American citizen.

When it comes to elections, Joe doesn�t take the time to research the candidate�s credentials or voting record. Joe�s far too busy doing joe things for that kind of stuff.

Joe doesn�t vote in the local or state elections, because Joe knows that the only election that really matters is for the presidency. It�s like the joe superbowl of elections.

Joe thinks a woman�s place is in the home, caring for the joe kids or maybe at work, helping to make the Joe mortgage. Certainly not in the White House looking after the welfare of joe civilians�that�s a man�s job. That�s the way it�s been, that�s the way it is, and that�s the way it should be.

Joe doesn�t mind black people. But joe doesn�t think it�s a minority�s place to run a country who�s population is made up of mostly white folks. Besides, who�s going to want to discuss foreign affairs over chicken and watermelon. [insert joe chuckle]

Joe is a born-again Christian, although he doesn�t go to church regularly. Heck, Joe hasn�t been to church since he got married to his joe wife. But Joe knows that there is only one god and that�s the god Joe�s beloved America was founded on�the god that�s referred to on all Joe�s money.

Joe doesn�t know a Saudi from an Iraqi�a sunni from a kurd�when it comes to foreigners, Joe�s motto is �Go home�.

Yep, Joe�s an alright guy�but there�s a reason Joe doesn�t like talking about religion or politics.

That was beautiful.

Truly.

ChuteandClimb

Mar 19, 2007, 8:32 AM
Post #13 of 16 (865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hangerlessbolt wrote:

did Joe just produce a half kid (if so, he has some serious family responsibilities and needs to be admired)

or did he start with a whole kid and cut him in half (if so, we really need to incarcerate him to protect other children in society)

hangerlessbolt

Mar 19, 2007, 9:19 AM
Post #14 of 16 (851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChuteandClimb] La Times op-ed piece by Sam Harris [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ChuteandClimb wrote:
hangerlessbolt wrote:

did Joe just produce a half kid (if so, he has some serious family responsibilities and needs to be admired)

or did he start with a whole kid and cut him in half (if so, we really need to incarcerate him to protect other children in society)

It's Joe's shared custody with Joe's ex-wife of Joe's eldest kid

c4c

Mar 19, 2007, 11:29 AM
Post #15 of 16 (831 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrradam] La Times op-ed piece by Sam Harris [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrradam wrote:
I like your old sig better brutha...

Those whom your new sig is mostly directed to cannot appreciate it.
unfortunately most those to whom the new sig is directed won't get it and won't bother to think about it long enough to relise that it should offend them. I like it even though I don't agree with it.

ChuteandClimb

Mar 19, 2007, 12:33 PM
Post #16 of 16 (819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hangerlessbolt wrote:

It's Joe's shared custody with Joe's ex-wife of Joe's eldest kid
that's a relief - cutting kids in half is messy. no matter which way you cut

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook