Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing on Bill Williams Mountain
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dthompson47

Mar 18, 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #1 of 1 (948 views)
Shortcut

Climbing on Bill Williams Mountain  (North_America: United_States: Arizona)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Climbers:

A great spire climb is located near the top of Bill Williams Mountain in Williams, Arizona. I put up the first ascent on the East face in 1981. The route is rated A.1-5.9 a classic route at the 9,000 foot level. The other two route one the West face and one on the North face was also rated 5.9 The spire is located in a Aspen forest half mile down from the ranger lookout tower. The East face climb is classic, because you must climb through a tunnel to gain the summit ! Chimney Rock has a pull out point to view the spire. I believe the Forest service has named this spire "Finger Rock". For more information visit www.rocklist.com

I have done many climbs and first ascents around Chimney Rock during my 30 years of climbing. A excellent climb in a excellent area with no crowds.I am shocked that many Arizona climbers have never herd of Chimney Rock on Bill Williams Mountain, a gem of a climb .

First Ascent of the East side 1981 by, Don Thompson and Rick Mobrey.The route is called now Finger Rock, use to be called Chimney rock. I have done a lot of climbing on Chimney Rock, Their are three Routes on the rock face now. the North Face, West Face and now the East face route

The route starts on the East side of the rock. Climb up a 5.6 pitch that lands you on a excellent ledge, from here use a aid pin A0 to traverse to a crack,5.9 climbing or A1 to a second belay ledge. this is classic , crawl through the hole to the other side of the rock where the West face route ends. Climb a chimney that lands you on top. A excellent climb remember, the key to the summit is to crawl through the tunnel to the other side of the rock! Classic with great exposure .The North face route was put up in the late 60s which is also rated 5.9

Directions:

Drive up Bill Williams Mountain to the turn out for Finger rock or Chimney Rock as the locals know it! hike the trail to the base of the rock do not go out to the overlook site, longer hike to the rock if you do!

Contributed by Don Thompson (warenharding) of Arizona on 2000-07-25

(This post was edited by dthompson47 on Sep 13, 2008, 12:36 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$8.55 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook