RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

nightshade

Mar 30, 2007, 3:46 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Broken Webbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was slacklining a few days ago and was setting up a line that was about 120ft long. We used just a primitive set up and were able to get it tight enough to walk on, however after about the 3-4th person went we heard a snapping noise and within a minute the webbing broke close to the anchor. The thing that gets me is that it broke in a clean area, not where a knot of the anchor was. So whats your take on this? has anyone ever broke their webbing before? This is my theory, the line was a year old with regular use. It had a lot of sun exposure and had been exposed to a pool, chlorine. So I figure it must have just been a weak spot that did it.

On another note, what know to you use to tie the tree side down, I was thinking a water knot with a carabiner or a mule hitch with a overhand on a bight?

svilnit

Mar 30, 2007, 3:53 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2578 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nightshade] Broken Webbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This should get some interesting replies....

Umm... chlorine & sun are really not nylon's best friends. We'll start there.

dirtbagger

Mar 30, 2007, 4:08 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmmmmm interesting! I guess the UV's & Chlorine probably did it!

Would you be able to take pics of the two broken ends, so we can have a look at the webbing condition and the tear? Was just wondering, if you happen to by chance get a nick/cut on one of the edges, which might have given a weak point!

Also what happened when it actually broke? Did the ends snap back to the anchors? With the weight of the person on the line? I keep getting nightmares. thinking, if my line snaps, I will end up with a crab flying towards my face, if the line snapped!

cheers for the info

nightshade

Mar 30, 2007, 4:20 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dirtbagger] Broken Webbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Heres what the end looks like, and yea Im pretty sure it was just because it was old... I had just gotten off the line before It broke and was walking to the other end to look at what was making the noise, I thought something might be rubbing which would also be bad. A friend of mine just started to walk when it broke and it flew all 120ft back and hit him in the chest. He said it didnt really hurt but he had a nice little red mark for a little while.

(This post was edited by nightshade on Mar 30, 2007, 4:24 PM)
Attachments: IMG_1748.jpg (81.9 KB)

boku

Mar 30, 2007, 4:38 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you send me a three-foot chunk of it I'll do a couple pull-tests on it and see what the breaking strength is.

dirtbagger

Mar 31, 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #6 of 10 (2485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cheers for posting the pic!

...................A friend of mine just started to walk when it broke and it flew all 120ft back and hit him in the chest. He said it didnt really hurt but he had a nice little red mark for a little while. ..............

yeah thats what I am worried about, that the crab or whatever flies back and could smack you straight in the back of the head, or worse still on your tempales(sp?) and then you can kiss your arse goodbye!

I run a bit of cord, through all the biners, pulleys etc which I tie separately off to the anchors! That way, if anything breaks, its only the webbing which can flyback!!! Maybe a bit over cautious? but rather that then feeling the pain!

gunkiemike

Mar 31, 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dirtbagger] Broken Webbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you ever heard the advice to avoid contact with bleach on ropes/webbing? Well most pool chlorine is the same stuff - hypochlorite, either sodium or calcium (the cation present doesn't matter).

nightshade

Mar 31, 2007, 7:32 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Broken Webbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea I do know that chlorine and other chemicals and such are bad for webbing. Didnt stop me though! And just to clarify a little the carabiner didnt fly back and hit anyone it was just the webbing, and I like the idea of tying the hardware of seperatly too! good call.

endercore

Mar 31, 2007, 8:38 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it appears that we have the same webbing, the pattern is quite similar and there really aren't many people that make webbing. Was yours originally orange?

anyway, if you would consider your line having substantial sun bleaching I don't even want to know what mine would be considered! I think the reason your line broke was due to exposure to those other chemicals. While UV rays aren't good for your line I don't think they would do enough damage to break like that. Also, my line has way more sun-damage and has yet to break.

Partner j_ung

Mar 31, 2007, 9:37 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2382 views)
Shortcut

Re: [endercore] Broken Webbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a shot of the gym rope that broke due to exposure to battery acid. Granted one is rope and one's webbing, but the damage looks similar to me. One more indication of chemical damage?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook