RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

rankojin

Apr 7, 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2056 views)
Shortcut

Living/working In Europe?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've recently thumbed through some old climbing magazines and found a slight blurb about a 22 year old climber named Cody Roth that moved to Europe when he was 19. And have been toying with the idea myself.

I feel like I'm in kind of a rut and need a change. That I suppose being moving to another continent to work and climb. I took four years of German when I was in high school, which more or less means I don't remember any of it right now.

Just curious if anyone has any experience (or opinions) moving across the pond, finding work, and climbing for an extended period?

uasunflower

Apr 10, 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rankojin] Living/working In Europe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i do - moved to belgium 2 yr ago after 3yr in Boston because of a job offer. Climbing in europe is superb, but most of it goes on in the south (france, italy, switzerland), so belgium is not exactly THE place. But if you are willing to drive, you still can get bits of it here and there. Otherwise good luck and keep thinking Wink

Partner tisar

Apr 10, 2007, 10:49 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uasunflower] Living/working In Europe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi!

Your German would be of use in Germany, some parts of Switzerland and in Austria. But you can get along with English pretty far, especially in Germany.

If you're thinking of Germany, take a look at the route db. I wrote a little on climbing here. Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg are both pretty interesting for the sports climbing individual. Switzerland would be much more interesting for the Alpine stuff and for the short distance to the crags of northern Italy and France. Just it's a little hard to get a job/work permit there.

I'm sure uasunflower, booger and some of the other 'mericans round here can tell you more about crossing the bath tub... just feel welcome!

- Daniel

uasunflower

Apr 10, 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tisar] Living/working In Europe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm not 'merican, far from it!

Partner tisar

Apr 10, 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uasunflower wrote:
i'm not 'merican, far from it!

Sure not! Tongue There's a comma... anyway, sorry if I by accident put you in the same sentence as our friends from the American continent.

To be excact, you didn't even move into Europe. At least as far as I know Unkraine is considered part of it, ain't it? That'd mean you just made a detour on your way from Eastern to Western Europe...Smile

- Daniel

uasunflower

Apr 10, 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tisar] Living/working In Europe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there you go tisar, better late than never...

yokese

May 16, 2007, 8:02 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rankojin] Living/working In Europe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rankojin wrote:
Just curious if anyone has any experience (or opinions) moving across the pond, finding work, and climbing for an extended period?

Well, I guess that the proper order would be: finding a job THEN moving accross the pond, since with a tourist visa you're not allowed to work legally in Europe. Probably you won't be even allowed to search for work.
I believe you can't stay longer than 6 or 12 months under a tourist visa, but I'm not sure though.

RockHUB

Jun 11, 2007, 7:55 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uasunflower wrote:
... Climbing in europe is superb, but most of it goes on in the south (france, italy, switzerland), so belgium is not exactly THE place. But if you are willing to drive, you still can get bits of it here and there. Otherwise good luck and keep thinking Wink

The best for sport climbing in Europe is Spain.
Look at www.ryanair.com: you can fly everywhere in europe for about 20 euros, if you buy the ticket more or less one month before

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook