RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

murph24

Apr 15, 2007, 3:50 AM
Post #1 of 11 (6254 views)
Shortcut

Slackline biners
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I want to buy some biners for my slackline so that are seperate from my climbing gear... any recommendations? will be using a 3 biner set up....

biffjr

Apr 15, 2007, 3:58 AM
Post #2 of 11 (6252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [murph24] Slackline biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i use a couple different biners the petzl william screw gate and the omega pacific ovals.... now the petzls are roughy 16 dollars and the omegas are about 5 dollars ... so take your pick

AND just to say it as a side note agian THEY MUST BE DEDICATED!!!

endercore

Apr 15, 2007, 4:57 AM
Post #3 of 11 (6238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd say the cheapest ones you can find.

or a compilation of retired gear...

sdbum

Apr 15, 2007, 7:35 AM
Post #4 of 11 (6214 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go with ovals

skidawg

Apr 15, 2007, 9:21 AM
Post #5 of 11 (6205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've just been using biners from my climbing gear for slacklining (just getting into it myself)...why should they be dedicated slackline biners?...

greenketch

Apr 15, 2007, 7:13 PM
Post #6 of 11 (6166 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skidawg] Slackline biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Definatley go with retired climbing gear. Or decide to retire and than make it dedicated gear. The loads placed on gear when slacklining are huge compared to general climbing use. It is entirely possible to damage the gear by slackin on it. Not enough to make it bad but for sure to make it's climbing use questionable. Ie. a couple of the biners I moved over for use have developed sticky gates after I use em on a jumptight line a few times.

basilisk

Apr 19, 2007, 4:06 AM
Post #7 of 11 (6046 views)
Shortcut

Re: [greenketch] Slackline biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

greenketch wrote:
Definatley go with retired climbing gear. [...] The loads placed on gear when slacklining are huge compared to general climbing use.

i don't understand statements like this. you don't trust a biner for climbing......so you assign it to a sport where it has to take even more stress?

i have no data to back this up, but it'd be nice if someone could confirm it for me: due to the fact that slacking forces are much higher, and also static, i feel like a steel biner would be optimal. steel would be much better able to cope with high energy static forces; far more so than an aluminum biner, which is only designed to handle short high-energy falls

sara_faye

Apr 19, 2007, 5:52 AM
Post #8 of 11 (6030 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basilisk] Slackline biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For this slackline setup: is it just a hip height line in a park or are you talking about a highline? When I set up a slackline I dont use a biner... a bunch of webbing, a couple of quick release knots... you can make it as easy or as complicated as you want, but I find the less stuff you use, the easier it is to keep it tight and the less stuff there is to break.

gobennyjo

Apr 19, 2007, 1:13 PM
Post #9 of 11 (5996 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basilisk] Slackline biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

basilisk wrote:
greenketch wrote:
Definatley go with retired climbing gear. [...] The loads placed on gear when slacklining are huge compared to general climbing use.

i don't understand statements like this. you don't trust a biner for climbing......so you assign it to a sport where it has to take even more stress?

i have no data to back this up, but it'd be nice if someone could confirm it for me: due to the fact that slacking forces are much higher, and also static, i feel like a steel biner would be optimal. steel would be much better able to cope with high energy static forces; far more so than an aluminum biner, which is only designed to handle short high-energy falls
Yea but in rock climbing if a biner fails it can me death, but if a biner fails five feet of the ground your ok.

slacker_jon

Apr 19, 2007, 3:16 PM
Post #10 of 11 (5968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gobennyjo] Slackline biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a 25kn steel oval screw-gate that got broken last year slacklining....

Keep your climbing stuff seperate!

Partner coldclimb

Apr 23, 2007, 1:21 AM
Post #11 of 11 (5881 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gobennyjo] Slackline biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gobennyjo wrote:
basilisk wrote:
greenketch wrote:

Yea but in rock climbing if a biner fails it can me death, but if a biner fails five feet of the ground your ok.

Just to nitpick, the forces aren't static on a slackline. And yeah, a biner failing in a slackline might leave you with a bruise if you're unlucky, but it comes with a really cool story about how you broke a biner. Cool

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook