Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing at Summersville Lake
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

uhighfreak

Apr 16, 2007, 4:47 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Climbing at Summersville Lake  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: New_River_Gorge_Region: Gauley_River___Tributaries__Summersville_: Summersville_Lake)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, it rained a hell of a lot this weekend and some buddies & I are planning to climb at Pirate's Cove and Orange Oswald next weekend. We are traveling from Philly, PA and have been watching the water levels because we know at some point it becomes difficult to hike around and climbg dry when the water level gets to a certain height (but we do not know what the height is). The water level rose 23' in 24 hours. Anyone know what level makes the climbing area into Deep Water Soloing or what the plans are for the lake with the water rising that much? Trying to decide if we should head over to the Gorge instead of the lake. Thanks

microbarn

Apr 16, 2007, 4:54 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uhighfreak] Climbing at Summersville Lake [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uhighfreak wrote:
So, it rained a hell of a lot this weekend and some buddies & I are planning to climb at Pirate's Cove and Orange Oswald next weekend. We are traveling from Philly, PA and have been watching the water levels because we know at some point it becomes difficult to hike around and climbg dry when the water level gets to a certain height (but we do not know what the height is). The water level rose 23' in 24 hours. Anyone know what level makes the climbing area into Deep Water Soloing or what the plans are for the lake with the water rising that much? Trying to decide if we should head over to the Gorge instead of the lake. Thanks

If the water rises 23 feet in a day, then you should worry about everything in WV being wet. If that kind of rain keeps up, you will have the entire state under water in no time.

I think the general rule is that the water level is pretty low until late spring. Then, the dam lets water out at a faster rate. I have never heard of there being too much of a problem. Maybe the locals are more knowledgeable though.

Why not just chat with people climbing that week upon arrival?

lodi5onu

Apr 17, 2007, 3:46 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uhighfreak] Climbing at Summersville Lake [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the guide book says they flood summersville lake in mid april...the areas you mention aren't in the lake bed anyway so you should be good regardless of how much it rained this week...as long as it's dry for a couple days before the weekend the rock will dry

Partner j_ung

Apr 17, 2007, 3:50 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lodi5onu] Climbing at Summersville Lake [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lodi5onu wrote:
the guide book says they flood summersville lake in mid april...the areas you mention aren't in the lake bed anyway so you should be good regardless of how much it rained this week...as long as it's dry for a couple days before the weekend the rock will dry

Pirate's Cove is in the lake bed. Orange Oswald will be fine. Parts of Whipperwill may still be high and dry, but likely only accessible by rap in and climb out.

munky

Apr 19, 2007, 2:21 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3720 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Climbing at Summersville Lake [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I spent 3 days climbing at Whipperwill 2 weeks ago and the water was at least 500 feet below the starts of all the cliffs. I had never been down there before when the water was low. What a suprise, great routes, good bouldering, and a cool talus field. If I was a local I spend my winters bouldering there. I thought the rock was better than Hawksnest and lower and upper Cottonhill. Plus, you have all those sweet routes.

Partner j_ung

Apr 19, 2007, 2:27 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3717 views)
Shortcut

Re: [munky] Climbing at Summersville Lake [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

munky wrote:
I thought the rock was better than Hawksnest and lower and upper Cottonhill.

Agreed. The Lake has some of the best around, and that's saying something.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook