RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

rock_fencer

Apr 19, 2007, 9:47 PM
Post #1 of 11 (4527 views)
Shortcut

Summer in Europe
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So before i go to grad school id like to spend a summer not in a lab. Thus was maybe thinking of going to France and Switzerland to see the sights and climb. Would probably be going with girlfriend but who knows. Anyways whats the chance i can get away with less than 500 US dollars for 5-6 weeks. The plane ticket is already around a grand so id be looking for someplace cheap. Ideally i would do two days climbing somewhere and 1 day for travel and then 2 in the city to see sights etc...

Opinions and suggestions appreciated?

jumpingrock

Apr 19, 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #2 of 11 (4526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] Summer in Europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Which summer? I have a thread a little lower down called "JR and Emilie become Euro Freaks" which might help answer a bunch of your questions. We are going for just a little longer than you are, but if you're going for this summer then we might be able to join forces for a bit.

rock_fencer

Apr 19, 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #3 of 11 (4523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] Summer in Europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the thread info. some interesting stuff there. I was more thinking of a plan as i go type of trip. The camper thing is a phenomenal idea but i dont have that type of money (im a poor college student soon to be a poor graduate student). Ill keep an eye on it though.

Partner booger

Apr 20, 2007, 8:03 AM
Post #4 of 11 (4517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

500 USD for 5-6 weeks... I seriously doubt, if you intend to travel at all.. or, uh, eat. That translates to around 350 Euros. Gas prices are practically double, don't forget- which also makes food, trains, etc. more expensive. That amount of money leaves you zero cushion in case of problems, which you're sure to run into because - well, traveling is like that, right? Crazy

Okay, now that the negative is over, I can offer you a futon for a couple of weeks (flights are cheapest into Amsterdam and Brussels, anyhow), and I'm sure there will be others to do the same.

You can find a cheaper flight if you book asap - like for May, and then again they get cheap again in September. But I would plan on at least 150€ per week (exchange rate at around 1.3, dollar is weaker). That will get you fed, anyhow (21€ per day for 3 meals)... unless you're a baguettes and cheese once per day person.

Good luck, and drop me an email if you need more beta/help.

petje

Apr 20, 2007, 8:32 AM
Post #5 of 11 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [booger] Summer in Europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you ALWAYS make your own food, and get around hitchhiking with a small tent. backpacking style, you certainly should be able to survive with small amount of money. 10 euro per day when careful what you buy, don't go to Italy for tent places, they're freakin' expensive. Or get as much adresses in europe to crash (you're welcome in the south of the Netherlands at my place for a few days, no prob. Good climbing in Belgium and West germany)

Partner tisar

Apr 20, 2007, 1:53 PM
Post #6 of 11 (4497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petje] Summer in Europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Berlin. No climbing here (at least nothing serious) but cheap eating and partying and I might be willing to offer my couch for a night or two. Smile

10€/day sounds really low for my taste, but then again I've been a luxury-dirtbag all my life... As long as you skip big cities and never have to pay for camping (or get busted for not doing so)... maybe...

- Daniel

petje

Apr 20, 2007, 2:03 PM
Post #7 of 11 (4495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tisar] Summer in Europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tisar wrote:
Berlin. No climbing here (at least nothing serious) but cheap eating and partying and I might be willing to offer my couch for a night or two. Smile

10€/day sounds really low for my taste, but then again I've been a luxury-dirtbag all my life... As long as you skip big cities and never have to pay for camping (or get busted for not doing so)... maybe...

- Daniel

i meant 10 euro for food only. It's perfectly doable.

Partner tisar

Apr 20, 2007, 2:28 PM
Post #8 of 11 (4489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petje] Summer in Europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petje wrote:
tisar wrote:

- Daniel

i meant 10 euro for food only. It's perfectly doable.

In Berlin, that's D๖ner for breakfeast, a Currywurst for lunch and a Pizza for diner. Plus half a litre Sternburg at the gas station. Indeed perfectly doable, this is an approved wannabe punk's diet Laugh

The pro will exchange the D๖ner with a breadroll (0,08€), a litre of cocoa (1,29€) and a bottle of vodka (6,29€) - which will leave you conciousless until next morning and thus save you 3,34€ for the party next day - unless of course you get pickpocketed on the parkbank...

- Daniel

rock_fencer

Apr 20, 2007, 2:50 PM
Post #9 of 11 (4486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tisar] Summer in Europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info and the offers. I was indeed thinking more of backpacking throughout the countries so i dont need to worry much about gas and i can live off canned tuna for a long time(Ive been known to do the baguette and a block of cheese as well). I was planning on getting a EuroRail pass to get around but i do not know how far the crags are from train stations etc.. Ill talk with the lady friend this weekend and decide what we are going to do.

How easy is it to rent a car for a day or two in the cities. Im also not limited by 5-600 US dollars just dont want to brake the bank.

Thanks again ill post up after we decide what and where we are going.

Cheers
T

thomasribiere

Apr 22, 2007, 1:15 PM
Post #10 of 11 (4464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For that amount of money, I would only go to Switzerland for 3 weeks, buy a train pass, and hike and sleep in the alpine pastures, climb in altitude, or something like that. I would guess it's possible.

rock_fencer

Apr 25, 2007, 2:03 AM
Post #11 of 11 (4397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] Summer in Europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well switzerland it is for three weeks with a short journey to paris. I figure i should see where my dad was born and at least step foot in a country of which i am a citizen of.

SWEEEEEET!

Thanks for the info guys and gals

Cheers
T

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook