Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
any advice on getting to potrero chico by bus/taxi from Laredo, TX?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

samroberts

Nov 19, 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1787 views)
Shortcut

any advice on getting to potrero chico by bus/taxi from Laredo, TX?  (North_America: Mexico: Nuevo_Le_n)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a free plane flight in the US, but want to go to Potrero. I'm having difficulty finding how to get there from TX by bus or taxi!

Suggestions? Is this possible?

On the map, it looks like Hidalgo is about half-way between Monterrey and Laredo, and I've taken a taxi from Monterrey to Hidalgo before. That was easy.

Can I do the same thing, but from Nuevo Laredo?

Thanks for any advice!

scsmit10

Apr 27, 2007, 10:59 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [samroberts] any advice on getting to potrero chico by bus/taxi from Laredo, TX? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to EPC alone in Aug 2006. I left my car in Laredo and used the local public transportation buses to get downtown to the bus depot area. Don't forget to change your $ into pesos somewhere here. Then I purchased a ticket to Monterrey (~$30). The bus is stopped for the customs checkpoint and you will be asked to provide ID (I used a US driver license and sign a permiso and answer questions about your intentions. When you get to the Monterrey bus station, ask for a bus to Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon (50 pesos ~$5). From the bus depot in Hidalgo, I walked around in the plaza until I spotted a friendly looking person standing by their car that was willing to be hired like a taxi driver (50 pesos ~$5). I arrived late at night so was, um, eager to reach a climber's campground. If you arrive in the daytime, EPC is visible and maybe 3 mile flat walk along the road. Good luck, hope this helps

samroberts

Sep 10, 2007, 9:51 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [samroberts] any advice on getting to potrero chico by bus/taxi from Laredo, TX? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Got this advice from Dane Bass: "I would recommend that you take the bus from Laredo to Monterrey, and then from Monterrey take the "Salinas/Mina" bus line to Hidalgo. It's really cheap. You can then take a taxi from the bus station in Hidalgo to the Potrero.
"

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook