Premier Sponsor:

beerandblood
Deleted

Oct 1, 2001, 3:24 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2977 views)
Shortcut

Your partner decks...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

import_temporary

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 1, 2001, 3:38 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2977 views)
Shortcut

Your partner decks... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As posted in Climbing Injuries and Accidents under 'Close Calls and Accidents. Learn from others' mistakes..."

I had to perform CPR on a guy who fell 80 feet and did NOT survive. He was not my partner, but I was able and obliged to help.

I believe everyone who climbs regularly should be trained in Advanced Life Saving Techniques. If you climb regularly, the time will come when you witness an accident.
Regular climbers should have a basic first aid kit, with 'Krazy Glue'. Krazy Glue was first made as 'Liquid Skin', and can be used in an emergency to close wounds as stitches would. 'Krazy Glue', not Super Glue, that's toxic.

rrrADAM

nikegirl

Oct 1, 2001, 4:07 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Krazy glue, for what.? Stopping the bleeding? What does it do for internal bleeding?
I'm Not kidding. I've heard this for callouses, and flappers... but, not for major injuries. Inform me.

T

rck_climber

Oct 1, 2001, 3:52 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While climbing at the Garden, I watched a guy take a 30-foot upside-down fall and crack his head open. He was leading the second pitch, so his belayer was at the top of the first pitch and was helpless. Luckily, I've been thoroughly trained in lifesaving measures through the Army and was able to keep a cool head.

I had the belayer lower him down (yes still upside down) until we were able to get to him and secure him. He came to about 5 feet from me and we were able to assess his wounds quickly. He was lucky, no helmet and all he got was a good gash (a dozen stitches or so) and a concussion. The other "good" thing was that the guy that fell was an EMT and understood a bit more why we were doing what we were, although he was not really lucid enough to help us.

Definitely take a couple of classes including CPR and know how to stabilize and treat a victim if you climb outdoors - it could certainly be the difference between life and death. Besides CPR, you need to know how to assess the casualty and know which injuries to treat first; how to treat broken bones, lacerations and rescue breathing.

Mick

newbieclimber

Oct 11, 2001, 5:53 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While climbing at the Garden, I watched a guy take a 30-foot upside-down fall and crack his head open. He was leading the second pitch, so his belayer was at the top of the first pitch and was helpless.

helpless? i think before you learn cpr or emergency medical stuff you should learn self rescue. if you climb mulipitch you and your partner should know how to perform every techinique in a book called self rescue by david j. fasulo like escaping a loaded belay and ascending or descending to your partner and assisted lowerings and raising your partner by constructing a pulley system. all of it can be practiced in a gym and the rope handling skills you learn will be much more determinate of whether your partner lives or dies should an accident befall her. if you arent able to get to an injured partner who is unconscious and lying prone in a sit harness they will be dead in half an hour.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook