RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

midnight

Jul 27, 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1629 views)
Shortcut

climbing in Pakistan
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all, I am doing volunteer work in Pakistan mainly in Balakot and Islamabad area and I am a keen rock climber who is getting his gear send over from Australia? Anyone interested in climbing or know where the local rock climbing gym is?

styler_g17

Jul 29, 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1629 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing in Pakistan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Midnight,
If you want to do some climbing, you should come further north to Gilgit or Skardu. There is excellent bouldering in both areas that would be good if you only have a short time. And there are thousands of big walls waiting to be climbed. You can see some pictures of bouldering on my website: www.losthorizontreks.com.

There is a small amount of climbing in the Islmabad area but nothing worthwhile. Not sure about Balakot area. I have seen some great looking boulders near Mansehra though.

Feel free to email me if you want more info. I'd also be happy to show you around Gilgit if I'm around (will be trekking for the next two weeks).

Take Care,
Ty

midnight

Jul 31, 2006, 9:39 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks ty,

did some soloing around Islamabad, some pretty crazy rock, i don't think i'd do that alone again but there was a pretty cool boulder at the top of the mountain where a village was entertaining the villagers.

Since Mansehra is the next town after Balakot, I am sure to find some cool boulders. Just waiting on gear to arrive.

i'll check out your website

jake

upthere

Jul 31, 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jake,
I live in Islamabad and I climb regularly. There are a few spots I can show you. Also, I run the only climbing gym in this part of the country (as far as I know) located at the international school where I work. I try to make two expeditions to the Karakoram each year (alpine, alpine rock and ice.) I've climbed some very exciting towers north of Hunza that are much more accessible than the Baltoro region. Driving down from Mansehra to climb in Islamabad is probably not worth it. If you have time and are adventurous, you can surely find some small walls closer to where you are. But, if you are in the Islamabad area, get in touch with me. How long will you be in Pakistan?
Ryan

midnight

Jul 31, 2006, 1:29 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey ryan,

at the moment i am staying in Islamabad for three weeks before heading to Balakot. i would love to check out the gym. I used to climb almost 5.12 level but alas the rest has taken its toll on me. Did some soloing in islamabad and probably think twice before doing it again.

send me an email jake.simkin@gmail.com and I'll come down to the gym

catch

styler_g17

Aug 1, 2006, 8:07 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ryan,
Is the wall open to the public? I used to go to the international school to play basketball and swim. They had asked my brother and I to help them design and build the wall, but then it was put on hold. I didn't know that one had been built. I'd like to check it out next time I'm in I-bad if possible. Let me know. Thanks.

Ty

matdread

Aug 12, 2006, 8:42 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi midnight(Jake) & upthere(Ryan) I missed this topic on the first search; you might have seen my posting today August 12th. “Partner wanted Pakistan/Nepal 2006”

Jake it sounds like you are interested in a climbing partner for rock climbing/boldering out of Islamabad/Hunza? Did I get that right? If so how much time do you have free?

Ryan can you tell me if there are active climbers in the community of westerners living in Islamabad?

I'm currently climbing out of North India but I’m going to make a move to either Pakistan or Nepal in the next 5(?) days as my partner has left for home. Where I plan to depends on whether I can find someone to climb with.

Me...I'm a fairly experienced alpinist interested in climbing anything really (Trad, Big walls, alpine, mountaineering) although I’m not super keen on bouldering ;).

Post a reply if interested. Thanks

midnight

Aug 26, 2006, 7:21 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am volunteering so i can take some time off to climb but i just did some trekking in the mountains and did some soloing in Khuplu. Sorry Ty, i should of contacted you but it was a last minute, boss paid me to go trekking with his cousin to K2 base camp. Khuplu got some awesome lines to climb. Me and my porter guide climbed heaps of snow walls and rock walls solo. Ulong camp after you do Gondogora pass was some amazing climbing lines as well.

Got a few of the porters into bouldering. Man their grips are strong and they are keen as to climb. With a bit of training i believe these boys can climb as good or even better than most climbers!

pierrot

Nov 3, 2006, 9:02 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,

I'm a french guy and I'll be working for the Red Cross in Battagram (1 h north of Mansehra). I'm really keen to climb in Pakistan and I'll have all my gear (sport and trad)

If your interested let me know

Pierre

ninja_climber

Nov 3, 2006, 9:48 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could try Trango... :roll:

swordfish

May 7, 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #11 of 11 (854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ninja_climber] climbing in Pakistan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be in Pakistan for a friends wedding for 10 days in late may. Is there any climbing of any type close to Islamabad. Please advise.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook