RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

niles

Apr 30, 2007, 5:09 AM
Post #1 of 16 (6868 views)
Shortcut

Metolius Supports Slacklining
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here in Central Oregon there is a huge slacklining population. Just about every sunny day you can run by the park and see a line or two up. So far no one has seemed to care about the fact that absolutely no one uses tree friendlies, but it seems to me that with the popularity of slacklining increasing locally, people will soon begin to notice that the trees are taking some wear.

Well, for those of you who don't know, Metolius climbing supply is located here in Bend, OR, and I happen to be lucky enough to work there. So I approached by boss and proposed that Metolius make a bunch of urethane tree friendlies and pass them out to local slackliners if they promise to use them whenever they set up their lines. My boss in turn proposed the idea to the owner (Doug) and he went for it. So in the next couple weeks I'll be designing and producing a set of 10 tree friendlies to be passed out as a trial run to see how well they work, get used, etc.

In either case--if they're successful or not--I thought that it was awesome that Metolius would be willing to shed a few bucks to support slackliners and protect the sport.

As for right now, tree friendlies won't be offered in the catalog, but who knows...

If anyone feels led, I think it would be a nice gesture for folks to call or e-mail the company (especially Doug, or my boss Karl) and give them a quick thanks, or affirmation of support.

Once I get a few prototypes built I'll post some pictures....if you've got ideas feel free to send them my way too.

Cheers

moditup

Apr 30, 2007, 5:54 AM
Post #2 of 16 (6847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [niles] Metolius Supports Slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Send some to UC Davis in California! We have like 2 to 3 lines up each day on campus! Our poor trees need some Metolius protection.

I think just plain black with the Metolius logo would be cool. Or even some simple instructions for setting up a line with a 4:1 or tips on how to slack.

Ha! Or call them Tree Condoms! Never slack without protection. Show a picture of two big trees and then a smaller tree in between them.

Partner hosh

Apr 30, 2007, 6:24 AM
Post #3 of 16 (6832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moditup] Metolius Supports Slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd also say that this is a very hip idea. I'd buy one...

hosh.

goterps18

Apr 30, 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #4 of 16 (6707 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hosh] Metolius Supports Slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, im currently using some of that plastic they used under the shingles on my house, it works pretty good, but it something designed for slacking would be cool

mince

Apr 30, 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #5 of 16 (6694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [goterps18] Metolius Supports Slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use cardboard pro now, but i would be willing to invest in a more permanent solution, like these proposed tree rubbers.

slacker_jon

May 3, 2007, 9:20 AM
Post #6 of 16 (6546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If they get used for permanent lines then they need to be stiff to spread the load and also need to let the tree breath Wink

niles

May 3, 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #7 of 16 (6496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacker_jon] Metolius Supports Slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I hadn't envisioned them being used for permanent setups, but I suppose they could. How do you allow a tree to breathe?

rock_fencer

May 3, 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #8 of 16 (6490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trees dont respirate through the bark!!!

goterps18

May 4, 2007, 2:10 AM
Post #9 of 16 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] Metolius Supports Slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trees respirate through the roots i think, and also through the leaves, (stomata if my biology is right). But in the previous posters defense, how would you feel if you had some webbing wrapped around your neck with several hundred lbs of tension permanently?

cuocgrrl

May 5, 2007, 5:24 PM
Post #10 of 16 (6363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [goterps18] Metolius Supports Slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Top ropers should use tree protection more often. I bet metolius could sell them to climbers too.

slacker_jon

May 7, 2007, 8:27 PM
Post #11 of 16 (6258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What I was thinking was making them with some lengths of 1"x1/2" stapled to some carpet (for the outside of the protector), probably about 18" long to spread the load and allow airflow to prevent permant moisture that can lead to mould/fungal disease on the tree. I got this and a nasty mark on a tree from a permanent line in my garden last year...

niles

May 8, 2007, 4:12 AM
Post #12 of 16 (6222 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacker_jon] Metolius Supports Slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a good point. I once left some cardboard on a tree for several weeks. When I took it off there were about 500 ear wigs that had decided to move in.

It looks like we've pretty much settled on a design, and in doing so we have opted for simplicity for the time being. It needs to be simple because we'll be making them in b/w the normal production schedule, and b/c we'll be giving them out locally for free for the sake of protecting local trees (and slacklining). If we find that there is a cry for them on a larger scale, it may end up in the catalog, but that is all up in the air--and a decision beyond my pay grade ;)

So, for the time being making something with many pieces would be out of the scope of this project. However, like I said, if there is a demand, and a sustainable market, something more elaborate may be likely in the future.

niles

May 9, 2007, 5:49 AM
Post #13 of 16 (6168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know I promised pictures....I've only got one for you now, though, and it's not the design that it looks like we've settled on. This one is too complicated for the scope of the current project.

They're long enough for big trees. Have plastic loops for the anchor webbing, padding on the inside, and velcro on the edges for easy storage and securing to the tree.

I'll try to post more pics of the final product later.

fulton

May 9, 2007, 6:25 AM
Post #14 of 16 (6161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really don't think that this product solves the tree-stress problem one bit.

skidawg

May 9, 2007, 6:30 AM
Post #15 of 16 (6156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a cool idea...it's exciting to see people come up with their own ideas, and make something out of it. I hope this works out for you, and that you get Metolius to put it in their catalog and bump you up to a higher pay bracket Wink

niles

May 11, 2007, 6:54 AM
Post #16 of 16 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fulton] Metolius Supports Slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fulton wrote:
I really don't think that this product solves the tree-stress problem one bit.

You might be right. We're testing a couple different versions through community slackers right now. The version above does help prevent deep wear on the bark of the tree, but it doesn't solve the problem of spreading out the load. But, I think we've got that figured out too. Time will tell.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook