RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

natec

Sep 25, 2002, 9:52 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1048 views)
Shortcut

High Sierra Gear Checklist
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I haven't seen a question on this specific topic. Please link me if there is one.

I am planning on doing several Sierra ice gullies this fall and winter but unsure of the typical conditions. I have checked the guidebook that I've purchased along with several other references but can't find any information about the typical late fall and winter conditions in areas such as the Palisades.

I would like to know the typical gear checklists of some of the users who are familiar with the Sierras in winter.

Are there any special considerations?

I know that the temps and weather patterns can vary greatly, but any info on them would be greatly appreciated?

Please keep the information pertinent to the Sierras.

[ This Message was edited by: natec on 2002-09-26 07:31 ]

natec

Sep 26, 2002, 7:40 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1048 views)
Shortcut

High Sierra Gear Checklist [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BUMP. Putting this back on the front page in order to get some replies.

pbjosh

Sep 26, 2002, 8:32 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ice gullies in the winter are snow slogs up possible avalanche slopes. Ice gullies in the fall (fall being defined as "sometime from around labor day until the first serious snow fall of the season) are great.

I assume you know to bring your ice gear. Usually long screws are nice if the ice isn't - somewhere from 4-8, a few pins (2 blades, 2 arrows, 1 baby angle), a few stoppers/hexes/tricams make a decent rack.

For clothing I'll wear running shoes for the approach (lightweight) and carry my boots 'cause the approaches tend to be long. I'll wear guide pants (schoeller material) and maybe long johns if it's really cold (late oct/into november), I'll wear a long sleeve polypro top and fleece and lightweight shell top. If it's a big/remote climb or if it's late in the season I'll bring a down jacket. Always bring headlamp/balaclava/matches/etc. Helmets are MANDATORY, the couloirs are bowling alleys sometimes.

On the flip side this year was so warm/dry I climbed North Peak in July in shorts and t-shirt

If you want more info on specific couloirs PM me.

josh

jmlangford

Sep 26, 2002, 9:32 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone done the Mountaineers Route on Whitney in winter? Is it skiable? Just wondering. I got a wild hair just now and thought skiing it would be fun. I have only been up it in dry conditions.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook