RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

Partner pianomahnn

Sep 7, 2001, 6:40 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2785 views)
Shortcut

Gym Safety/Risk Management/CGA Certified
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you work in a gym, what types of daily/weekly/monthly safty checks are in place? How often do you inspect ropes, biners, rental gear, bolts, etc?

The CGA just came out with a revised list of requirments, and I am curious as to wether or not your gym is certified by them. And if not, why?

Partner pianomahnn

Sep 7, 2001, 6:53 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2785 views)
Shortcut

Gym Safety/Risk Management/CGA Certified [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Truthfully, because of the indoor environment, it's not close to a month. The only real wear and tear our top ropes get are from running through cold shuts, which is not much at all. They also are not placed under much stress. Top rope falls are not long, so a lot of stretching isn't normal.

The lead ropes, of course get more abuse. Running over holds, edges, etc. These are supposed to be inspected every day. Ropes are very durable, as I'm sure you know.

But, yeah, every month, hah!! I think not.

tyraidbp

Sep 29, 2001, 3:33 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You check and replace the equipment as often as you need to. That is the most open ended answer I will ever hear or say. The CGA is kinda a joke, especially when the owner of your local gym is a key board member, and two of your employees at one facility are certified inspectors. What the hell good does that do? Ofcourse you are going to get CGA certification. The thing about the CGA is is that you get this certification, which then you broadcast to customers, and supposedly you get a break on your insurance. The key factor though on getting this break on your insurance, you have to go through a certain company, which even after certification, is still way more expensive than other insurance companies. Same coverage and everything. I wish that certain companies would get "out of bed" with each other, stand up and do something on their own. I can tell you from my experience with Risk Management, that some things get completely overlooked, or not given enough thought and care. The fact that I go to a local gym, lead a route, and have to lower from ONE quickdraw is completely freaking stupid. You know what, I have been trying not to name names, but everyone should be aware of the dangers at gyms. At Vertical Endeavors in Warrenville, IL you get to top out on a climb, lower off of one quickdraw, and that is said to be ok because you are inside. I am confused all to hell now, if I am inside, then why would I want to risk only lowering off of one quickdraw. How do I know if the stoner that welded that anchor was paying attention to it, or another hit from the bong. How about the fact that a rope can have the core popping out of the sheath, and it would alright to leave it up. Whatever, I cant wait for the day that Nicros and Vertical Endeavors go belly up. I will then be happy. To the shift manager in St Paul who might see this, hello to you whoever you are.

jds100

Sep 29, 2001, 4:43 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the heads-up about Vertical Endeavors. I've seen another forum on VE on a different website (www.climbingcentral.com), and it seems like a scary and irresponsible situation. For whatever it's worth, have you looked into issuing any kind of complaint with any other organization of climbing gyms? Is this one group the only group that "certifies" climbing gyms? Depending on how strongly you feel and think about this improper management, you can also write a complaint letter to whatever locality is pertinent, informing them of your concerns, and directing them to sources that support your knowledge of what standards VE should be meeting, regardless of their 'official certification'.

I'm disappointed in the apparent close involvement of Nicros with VE. And, this is not a slam; what I've read (not just here)indicates an inability of VE and/or Nicros to defend their management of conditions, and misrepresentations to the local media about accidents that occur.

compclimber

Sep 29, 2001, 11:06 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You said that you lower off one QD. Is that for lead climbs or TR's???....I mean 1 draw at the top of a lead climb where you have another bolt like 4 feet underneath is not really a big deal in a gym (yes I understand about shock loading the one thats farther below in the event of a failure)

tyraidbp

Oct 1, 2001, 4:11 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone been hurt? Not from lowering off of the one draw. The one draw situation is only for leading. My main point here is that lowering off of one draw INDOORS is not a thing that you want to teach new climbers. Why develop bad habits? The purpose of indoor gyms is two things; one to teach people new to the sport in a controlled environment how to do things properly; and two, to be safe while training for outdoor experiences. Both of these should be taken into consideration when designing and developing the surroundings. Unfortunatly there is this thing that seems to be getting line of sight for a certain president of two companies, $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Already, there as been a guy with a broken ankle, an employee decked from the top due to himself loading a GRI GRI backwards and giving it to a little girl. And then the typical school groups not being watched enough and some decking from about 20ft. As far as there being another organization to report this or any other gym to, NO, but that is what places like this is for. As a community of climbers, I feel that it is our duty to communicate these possibly disasterous gyms to each other. I am not a fan of down talking anyone, but I am also not a fan of unsafe climbing experiences. I do also know that the upper managment of all these Vertical Endeavors facilities is fully aware of their mistakes, but are unwilling to admit fault or failure. I do believe that in current state, both companies are doing quite poorly, and are just about getting out of the RED so they can keep their Lexus SUV, and new home. It truely is a shame that one company that has done so much for the climbing community(indoor)could take such a drastic turn downward. Also, when you walk in there and you see a sign that says "we support the Access Fund"let it be known that they do as much as a company as you or I do personally. They donate less than $1000 per year. At the BIG GRAND OPENING they had three people to sign up for the Access Fund, only three, and two where employees and one was a member who was a friend of one employee. WHAT A JOKE!!! But that is all for another forum. So let it be known that safety is not a priority.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook