RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

alexschultz1

May 17, 2007, 4:54 PM
Post #1 of 9 (914 views)
Shortcut

re : motivation for climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

"One of the most common myths about drugs is that they give a rush nothing else in the world can offer.

But the clean truth is physical activities can enable you to get high without falling into the low of drug-taking.

For instance, you could pound the track, cut through the water at high speed or bend a soccer ball right into the goal.

Exercises like jogging, wakeboarding and soccer make you feel good.

Medical research has shown that working out can release a chemical in your body called endorphins. They help you experience a “natural high”.

With this feel-good vibe, you develop a general sense of well-being and appreciation for the people in your life too.

Take it from swimming star Mark Chay, 24, who describes the thrill of his sporting achievements as “10 times better than getting an A for a class I’d worked hard for”.

- www.stomp.com.sg/stink/spill_indepth_high.html

i think that climbing does give me a natural high, i have always played sports and i tried jogging once, but nothing compairs to how good i feel when im at a local crag. i go 4-5 times a week and love it more every time i go.

coastal_climber

May 17, 2007, 5:01 PM
Post #2 of 9 (907 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexschultz1] re : motivation for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good Call. Smile

>Cam

stymingersfink

May 17, 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #3 of 9 (860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alexschultz1 wrote:
"One of the most common myths about drugs is that they give a rush nothing else in the world can offer.

But the clean truth is physical activities can enable you to get high without falling into the low of drug-taking.

For instance, you could pound the track, cut through the water at high speed or bend a soccer ball right into the goal.

Exercises like jogging, wakeboarding and soccer make you feel good.

Medical research has shown that working out can release a chemical in your body called endorphins. They help you experience a “natural high”.

With this feel-good vibe, you develop a general sense of well-being and appreciation for the people in your life too.

Take it from swimming star Mark Chay, 24, who describes the thrill of his sporting achievements as “10 times better than getting an A for a class I’d worked hard for”.

- www.stomp.com.sg/stink/spill_indepth_high.html

i think that climbing does give me a natural high, i have always played sports and i tried jogging once, but nothing compairs to how good i feel when im at a local crag. i go 4-5 times a week and love it more every time i go.

some of the best times climbing were begun with a nugget o' green gold, a piece of glass and a bic lighter. some drugs are just highly maligned, others deserve the reputation they get. not all drug taking = low point in life. how many people start their day with a massive consumption of the drug CAFFEINE? some drugs facilitate an enjoyment of life, others do not.

IOW, take your anti-drug rhetoric and shove it up your ass.

respectfully,
~Sty

Salix

May 22, 2007, 5:44 PM
Post #4 of 9 (830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] re : motivation for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm motivated by the beauty of the rock!

lodi5onu

May 22, 2007, 5:56 PM
Post #5 of 9 (823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] re : motivation for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

somebody didn't get their fix today...

desertdude420

May 22, 2007, 5:56 PM
Post #6 of 9 (822 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Salix] re : motivation for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How do I get motivated? I flip through a climbing mag or guidebook, surf rockclimbing.com, or boulder around inside on my homemade climbing wall. Caffeine, tobacco, pain killers, and booze are the most abused drugs in America... maybe 'cuz they are socially acceptable. Green nugs are the thing that athletes can enjoy without any of the negative side effects associated with.... drugs.

summerprophet

May 22, 2007, 6:16 PM
Post #7 of 9 (796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the write up Alex, but I think in climbing an actual "Endorphen High" would be rare. Climbing is usually periods of medium to high output followed by a rest period. Endorphen Highs are associated more with distance running or cycling. Sports that have moderate output for long periods OR extremely high output (motorcross or bullriding for example).

I might be totally off on this, but will get correected if I am, but I believe that climbing may release dopamines in the brain, which, while they do make you excited, don't really compare to a "runners high".

Another thing worth noting is that certain drugs (Pot and LSD notably), actually store in your fat cells (potentially for years) and once burned by your body will cause a similar effect to taking the drug directly. Usually short lived and often associated with the extreme exhaustion or sugar low that caused the fat to burn.

Oh yeah, My motivation for climbing? Not Falling.

(This post was edited by summerprophet on May 22, 2007, 6:40 PM)

billl7

May 22, 2007, 6:27 PM
Post #8 of 9 (781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Over the past few decades I've trained for long distance running events, a 100 mile cycling event, and week-long backpacking trips. And I've been climbing regularly the last few years.

Occasionally I find myself feeling extremely euphoric for a few hours. What leads up to it for me is a regular regime of endurance training, _hours_ long on certain days, over the course of weeks, perhaps months. Then, just take a rest day consisting of maybe a half our or so of endurance training -> absolutely nothing has topped the high that follows and lasts a few hours.

That said, there are a couple of things that once in a while measure up on occasion. One goes without saying and I don't mean drugs. The other is that feeling that comes on the casual descent after a very strenuos day in the mountains.

So, is my everyday physical regime motivated by these occasional extremely high highs? No, not really. I think I would still have sufficient motivation without them.

I cannot speak to how this compares to the effects of various drugs. I think it could at least be said that with drugs there is more (edit: ... immediate ...) control over frequency.

(This post was edited by billl7 on May 22, 2007, 11:51 PM)

stymingersfink

May 24, 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #9 of 9 (746 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lodi5onu] re : motivation for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lodi5onu wrote:
In reply to:

somebody didn't get their fix today...
today, yesterday, or the 558 days preceeding.

I do however drink coffee on a daily basis, otherwise I may have killed someone by now.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook