Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
New Cayon in New Mexico
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Justin678

May 24, 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1363 views)
Shortcut

New Cayon in New Mexico  (North_America: United_States: New_Mexico: Central_New_Mexico: New_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't know how many people know about new canyon and the climbing around that area but this last weekend i took a trip up there. Now as far as I can tell that on the routs section new canyon only has one rock wall location, but I have found 4 major rock walls and climbing spots. One wall is a huge +350ft and has no sports routs that I know thoe. The other 2 are 200ft, one has good bouldering around it too. The last spot is full of great bouldering. I dont know the exact way to get there but next time I go there I will right down direction is detail and i will also take pics of each wall.

On the down side is that most wall do you have to hike to, some hikes can be short and others long. Also another bad thing is that as far as I know to get to all 4 areas you have to go threw trail that only 4 wheelers, dirtbikes, or dum buggies can go threw and its a good +1hour drive down the trail to get to them.

It look likes a great climbing spot even thoe its hard to get to. Like I said thoe i will post of the details and pics once I go there again.

(This post was edited by Justin678 on May 24, 2007, 11:00 PM)

norm1057

May 24, 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Justin678] New Cayon in New Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Close to what part of the state? This is a big place and getting bigger with the price of gas.

Quis

Nov 18, 2007, 5:43 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Justin678] New Cayon in New Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you ever get back to New Canyon? I am going to try to find it this weekend. Please let me know if the direction on this site are good I don't they are from looking at Google maps but I could be wrong. I need county rd numbers if you can get them.
You are not far from Socorro, have you ever climbed there?
Chris

NoMoCouch

Nov 19, 2007, 7:44 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Quis] New Cayon in New Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you find it?

Quis

Nov 30, 2007, 3:10 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NoMoCouch] New Cayon in New Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, I didn't there was a big fire "Ojo Peak" I couldn't get near where I thing it is. Oh and even if I did it was cold and snowy I don't think I would have climbed. Have you been there? How are the climbs I can't find out much about this place. Is it worth a 3 hour drive?
Chirs

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook