Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Restricted Access?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

zeke_sf

May 28, 2007, 9:34 AM
Post #1 of 2 (952 views)
Shortcut

Restricted Access?  (North_America: United_States: California: San_Francisco_Bay: Glen_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I found the San Francisco Recreation and Park Department's "Natural Areas Program" (or NAP) webpage:

http://naprap.home.mindspring.com/id24.html

Here's the info. I found concerning Glen Canyon park climbing:

"According to the NAP proposal, the following is anticipated in the future:

Prohibit rock climbing at Northwest outcropping and utilize barriers to block access if required."

This doesn't sound good for a historic climbing area climbed since at least 1940 when it was mentioned in the Sierra Club's Yodeler newsletter. It sounds like the outcropping mentioned is the main band of rocks people climb at the park. While this isn't a destination climbing spot, it is a fun resource for residents of the the city as well as immediately outlying areas. I've met people who have literally been climbing 20-30 years at this spot, so there is longstanding precedent of climber access to this recreational area.

Does anybody have any more information? I will post back when I find more facts.

silascl

May 28, 2007, 1:50 PM
Post #2 of 2 (930 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Restricted Access? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That's not their homepage. That's a website designed to give you the real deal on NAP or more or less to slander their programs. I don't know much about NAP, but here's their real website:

http://www.parks.sfgov.org/...ark_page.asp?id=1896

I looked at the executive summary of their plan, and saw no such statements. Maybe check out the full plan and see what they say.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook