Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Tollhouse Rock Approach
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

donald949

May 29, 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1080 views)
Shortcut

Tollhouse Rock Approach  (North_America: United_States: California: Western_Sierra: Tollhouse_Rock: Tollhouse_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Tollhouse Rock Approach

Is there a good anchor station at the top Toolhouse some place for rappelling off? Is the gully off the right good for hiking down and is it heavily used? Can you or recommend hiking down to the left, to get routes under Tollhouse Traverse, such as Wandering Taoist?
My climbing buddy and I went to Tollhouse Rock on Sunday, and approached from the dirt road around back. Hiked up to the top and cap rocks without any issues. However, once there we looked over the gully and though there had to be a better way. There was a couple of other climbers, and between the four of us, only one had ever been there many years before. We ended up rappelling off of cap rock from some TR anchors to an anchor station right below cap rock. Then rappelled thru some brush to some boulders that we scrambled over to our climb. We were about 15 feet left of Friday 13th at the end of the rappel, and we climbed it with out issue and called it a day.

The RC photo is very good, it just cuts off the gully on the right that I’m mentioning above.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...riel_view_71481.html

First Post. Thanks, Don

dingus

May 29, 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Tollhouse Rock Approach [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We always walked down, the times I climbed there. The right side of the cliff (when facing the cliff), from ner where we parked. I don't recall it being hard to find or anything... but its been a few years since I felt the need to go there.

Have you checked out:

http://www.summitpost.org/.../tollhouse-rock.html

In reply to:
The trail heads up and passes under the powerlines again. Continue past the powerlines and follow the trail uphill under some black oaks (tricky terrain). The trail eventually splits with the left fork depositing out into open granite slab (park here for the 3rd class gully descent to access the base of Tollhouse and its multi-pitch routes).

Right, the slab. We always parked there and just walked down.

The author of that page, Dave, knows a lot about Tollhouse. Register there and shoot him a PM if you need additional detail.

Cheers
DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on May 29, 2007, 11:31 PM)

donald949

May 30, 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1056 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Tollhouse Rock Approach [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the link. It also mentions the gully, on the right. It looked like a lot of clawing through bush from where we were at. It was easy enough to see from the top of cap rock.
Does any one use a differnt approach? Or does everyone go done the gully?
Thanks again, Don.

dingus

May 30, 2007, 2:32 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1043 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Tollhouse Rock Approach [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a tunnel. Its the approach.

DMT

donald949

Jun 1, 2007, 4:07 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1009 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Tollhouse Rock Approach [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, for the info. I guess we had issues with brush. Given that the new climbers trail that goes around the so called private property, going over the hill and thru a ton of poison oak. We were tip toeing, side stepping, and wiggling our way through the P Oak.Unsure
Next time we'll just head down the gully. Thanks again, Don.

(This post was edited by donald949 on Jun 1, 2007, 4:09 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook