Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Devils Gap, closed until futher notice.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sbaclimber

Jun 2, 2007, 3:13 AM
Post #1 of 2 (806 views)
Shortcut

Devils Gap, closed until futher notice.  (Australasia: New_Zealand: Canterbury: Banks_Peninsula: Devils_Gap)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got off the phone with the farm manager for Devils Gap, and he has had some serious problems over the past few weeks. The same few weeks I have not been there, so I have no idea who has been causing this trouble.
Gates have been left open, and an even worse betrayal of trust that I am not at liberty to divulge has occurred. Unfortunately, because climbers are the only members of the public who would have any reason to be on his property, he suspects that is who has been up there and not respected his wishes and just general farm courtesy.
Therefore, Devils Gap is OFF LIMITS to climbers until further notice! I told him I would present this to the community and we would approach him again regarding access only after lambing season is over (end of October).
This is inexcusable behavior, and has cost the climbing community access to one of the better crags on the Banks Peninsula. Needless to say, I am very upset that we have lost this resource, and access to Peraki Valley has also been jeopardised, simply because someone couldn't close a gate. A number of us have put a tremendous amount of time, energy and money into this crag, to make it a really good climbing destination, and the actions of one inconsiderate person have destroyed all of our efforts. I will be extremely disappointed, and quite angry if I discover that it was in fact a fellow climber!

Fly

Jun 18, 2007, 11:29 PM
Post #2 of 2 (756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Devils Gap, closed until futher notice. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sad Gabe, I was thinking about trying it out this Sunday for a change of scene and some longer routes and was about to contact you for the farm managers number Frown

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook