RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

poomasta

Jun 3, 2007, 11:53 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1125 views)
Shortcut

Rope recommendation for gri-gri
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Any recs on a rope you've found well suited to sport climbing and gri-gri usage? I'd like something in the 9.8-10.1 range. I'm currently running a mammut 10.5 eternity, and while i love it with an ATC, it feels too thick (apparently) with a gri-gri; the woman complains that it's "too hard" to feed rope ;-)

thanks,
mike

tradrenn

Jun 4, 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [poomasta] Rope recommendation for gri-gri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

poomasta wrote:
Any recs on a rope you've found well suited to sport climbing and gri-gri usage? I'd like something in the 9.8-10.1 range. I'm currently running a mammut 10.5 eternity, and while i love it with an ATC, it feels too thick (apparently) with a gri-gri; the woman complains that it's "too hard" to feed rope ;-)

I'm using Beal Booster III 9.7 and Beal Top Gun 10.2 with no problem.

My last rope was Blue water Eliminator and that one got so fat it was hard to feed out, I ended up getting a better rope (newer in this case )

thomasribiere

Jun 4, 2007, 5:23 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Rope recommendation for gri-gri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Beal Booster III 9.7mm too. Thin enough to be fed very easily. Just be careful when lowering someone, it's speeding up easily as well.

fulton

Jun 4, 2007, 6:23 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

poomasta, you're looking at this situation backwards.

Your first priority should be selecting the right rope.
(For example, because I weigh over 170 pounds and often fall, I always buy 10mm ropes, but; if I were lighter, I might consider a thinner rope.)

After you've decided on the right rope, THEN decide what device compliments it.

I've never had a problem with gri-gri's on 10mm ropes, infact, my rule of thumb is "when I can use a grigri - I use a grigri - otherwise I use an ATC."

However, if you or your girlfriend are having difficulty, then change the device you're using, not the rope. There seem to be alot of auto-locking devices now (its not just the grigri as it was for 10 years), and if those autolocking devices helps make you feel safe, then shop around for the right one.

(However, I suspect that you just don't trust your girlfriend... She'd have no problem feeding with an ATC)

poomasta

Jun 4, 2007, 6:37 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fulton] Rope recommendation for gri-gri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fulton wrote:
(However, I suspect that you just don't trust your girlfriend... She'd have no problem feeding with an ATC)

LOL...thx man. We use an ATC on trad routes all the time; it's more of a convenience thing for sport climbing and the nature of working a route.

As for looking at things backwards, being able to use the grigri is more important to me than which rope, of the many suitable ones, I'm gonna use. I weigh 170, climb sport primarily, and certainly take some nice falls...I'm not looking at anything smaller than 9.8mm. I AM asking if folks have a rope in the 9.8-10.2 range that they love for sport climbing and grigri usage.

Thanks for the help.
Mike

Partner alexmac

Jun 4, 2007, 7:12 PM
Post #6 of 9 (989 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] Rope recommendation for gri-gri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thomasribiere wrote:
Beal Booster III 9.7mm too. Thin enough to be fed very easily. Just be careful when lowering someone, it's speeding up easily as well.

I use the beal boaster and same warning on lowering. Works just fine though.

Alex

fulton

Jun 4, 2007, 8:11 PM
Post #7 of 9 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

poomasta wrote:
I AM asking if folks have a rope in the 9.8-10.2 range that they love for sport climbing and grigri usage.

Thanks for the help.

Alright, well I do my fair share of sport climbing and am a gri-gri fan as well. My current rope is a Blue Water Eliminator 10.2 dry treated. I have no complaints with the rope (its on sale at mountaingear.com right now I think). The rope is supple and moves through the gri-gri well, and the sheath seems pretty durable (although some thrash sessions on crystally granite did rough it up a little). The Eliminator definately feeds better through the grigri than my last Mammut rope did (which was also a 10.2 or 10.5).

ccrgali

Jun 4, 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #8 of 9 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I learned on a old 10.5 so I haven't had any problems with ropes between 10.2 to 9.8 as long as it's not coiled up. 10.2 to 9.8 are my favorites to climb with and belay with grigri and atc. It really doesn't take much strength to pull rope through and you can feed arm lengths out super fast.
Most people who aren't used to belaying with the grigri will short rope not because it's hard to feed but because of the timing of the feed...with a autolocker you have to anticipate and be ready to feed rope before your climber starts to pull rope or you'll lock up and then you can't feed with any rope size. It takes practice.

overlord

Jun 5, 2007, 7:09 AM
Post #9 of 9 (915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ccrgali] Rope recommendation for gri-gri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

im using mammut infinity 9.5mm with a grigri without any problems. just just have to be a bit carefull because it wont lock quite so fast as it will with a thicker cord.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook