RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

puerto

Apr 12, 2007, 6:17 PM
Post #1 of 8 (4615 views)
Shortcut

OT: Interesting article about Castaneda
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

today in Salon.com..

slablizard

May 24, 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #2 of 8 (4548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [puerto] OT: Interesting article about Castaneda [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

puerto wrote:
today in Salon.com..

hey waht about a copy and paste and maybe alink next time ;)?

You meant Carlos Castaneda?

puerto

May 25, 2007, 4:30 PM
Post #3 of 8 (4532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slablizard] OT: Interesting article about Castaneda [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, let' see if this works..they have some deal where you have watch an ad first though, hopefully it'll go straight through

http://www.salon.com/...astaneda/index1.html

slablizard

Jun 6, 2007, 12:16 AM
Post #4 of 8 (4325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

puerto wrote:
OK, let' see if this works..they have some deal where you have watch an ad first though, hopefully it'll go straight through

http://www.salon.com/...astaneda/index1.html

wow.

a mith destroyed...
lol

arnoilgner

Jun 7, 2007, 4:01 AM
Post #5 of 8 (4288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm not sure of the extent of this author's research. however, i've read all of castaneda's books and all of the ones that try to debunk his work, including deMille. conclusion? no one knows what carlos wrote was true or not. everything is conjecture whether trying to prove him right or wrong.
-
many folks like to spend their time proving someone false instead of looking for meaning in carlos' writings. if you look for knowledge within the text, especially when don juan speaks (whether it was don juan or taken from other authors who knew of this subject) you'll find valulable info about awareness and attention. this is the core of carlos' books.
-
further, the info in the carlos's books come from the toltec indian philosophy. many mayan indians had very similar beliefs and practices that carlos writes about. also, there are several other authors that write about the toltecs. some of them do point out some mistakes that carlos made but the guts of the material follows what they teach.
-
do you want to feel good that carlos was wrong and end it there. or, do you want to use his books to help understand knowledge. all authors and religions are simply different ways to the same info about how our world works. his books get you to think outside your normal thinking processes. that in itself is beneficial. look for connections rather than difference and you might learn something.
arno

slablizard

Jun 8, 2007, 7:34 PM
Post #6 of 8 (4240 views)
Shortcut

Re: [arnoilgner] OT: Interesting article about Castaneda [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I read them all too...
still it puts it under a different light if it was "just" fiction...

arnoilgner

Jun 11, 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #7 of 8 (4189 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slablizard] OT: Interesting article about Castaneda [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

valid point. however, that author doesn't have enough info to call it fiction. and, to reiterate, what carlos writes about is grounded in the toltec teaching of which many other authors have written specifically about. There are some mistakes in Carlos' works but they are in many ways very close to the toltec teachings. could he have misunderstood some of the teaching given by don Juan due to approaching the knowledge from a perspective of not knowing it yet? How many misunderstandings have we all made before having learned something?
arno

True2Grade

Jun 19, 2007, 9:59 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [arnoilgner] OT: Interesting article about Castaneda [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Greetings.
I, too, have read all Castaneda's works, as well as some of the ones reputing his. I recently reread Tales of Power, and the Art of Dreaming. I agree that the wisdom is available to those who care to learn from it, whether the accuracy with which Carlos documented his works is true or not, the teachings are still valid. My acupuncturist had the privilege of hearing Castaneda speak at a conference, and Carlos said, at that moment, that all the work was false. This always stuck with me as a ploy, and not a statement of truth. I don't know why.

Every time I indulge in these books, I always have the most remarkable dreams, and an awareness about reality and non-reality becomes prevalent in my day to day goings on.

Given the premise of losing one's identity, and the possibility of writing of something so controversial as being an apprentice to an Indian Sorcerer might make it necessary to conceal facts, or misconstrue them, so to speak, or at least I've always thought.

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook