Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climber_girl

Oct 2, 2001, 3:02 AM
Post #1 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Top Roping... Am I Just A Looser?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think that sport climbing is cool, but i like top roping better. I just feel more safe i mean if u take a fall u don't go very far but if u sport it(pro) then if ur gear doesn't stay in the mountain u fall that length plus more!! Also on top roping u can pull cool ass tricks and stuff that most people wouldn't dare to do if they were pro. I guess i also like top roping better because i have really never placed any pro!:(
Well thats my slice of the pie!

Brittany

[ This Message was edited by: climber_girl on 2001-10-01 20:20 ]

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 2, 2001, 3:06 AM
Post #2 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Top Roping... Am I Just A Looser? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude,

It's ALL Climbing !!!

Don't let anyone tell you different. Hell, I've been stuck in a hotel in the rain actually stemming and crimping the door jams.

It's ALL Climbing !!!

rrrADAM

daisuke

Oct 2, 2001, 3:47 AM
Post #3 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel safer on TR, leading can be fun but I only like doing it on a route with negative slope, I've lead a 5.9 route that isn't vertical in some parts and I get the feeling that if I fall I'm going to get a bunch of scrapes or slam into the wall nice and hard, thus I don't like leading those routes at all.
TR is safer, especially when you're at the base, on the other hand the rope can get tangled in protruding rocks and the like as well cutting off your climb.
Other times you'll have to lead a route to set up the gear for a TR anyway.

but on the topic, I preffer TR because of the safety margin, I have no wish to die or get all mangled up. you're not a loser, you're just safe.

D

phyre

Oct 2, 2001, 3:50 AM
Post #4 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would have to agree with rrradam on this. I personaly love to sport climb because it pushes me mentally but I also like to top rope stuff that I know is way over my skill level to improve my technique. I also got to set pro for my first time the other day and it really pushes your limits and makes you trust yourself. I think if someone thinks less of you because you toprope they've got something to prove. so really it's their loss. because noone that's trying to prove something to other people is having as much fun.

Partner pianomahnn

Oct 2, 2001, 5:40 AM
Post #5 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People always stare at me.

ratstar

Oct 2, 2001, 5:10 PM
Post #6 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrradam I have done the same thing and I consider it all climbing too. Infact I was doing that very thing at school the other day. Then I had to got to talk to the principal adn she left the room for a min and I did it in her room too.

maltek

Oct 2, 2001, 8:11 PM
Post #7 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also do both sport and TR and I think that it is 2 different thing and that each type is for a different purpose. Sport climbing give you different fealing. I think that both type can be practice on the same route and event if I do sport, I don't care about the bolt that are there.
I like sport since you don't have to go set up your rope on tope.. It's also faster to switch to another route.

coach713
Deleted

Oct 2, 2001, 8:32 PM
Post #8 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey ctompkins, My view of the whole thing: If I can make it up ANY rock wall at 47, How I start and how it's roped, doesn't matter at all. Rock climbing is the BEST exercise I have ever run accross. Becides, I have 5 boys that climb,.. I should NEVER have to lead.. I love how they top rope everything for me!. Then call me names until I make it up. My best climber Boy won't let me come back down until I have made it all the way up. Even when I throw things at him. Top roping is GREAT!

rccg

Dec 17, 2001, 6:03 AM
Post #9 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the TR, like you all said it's relatively safe and comfortable, and you can do wild moves. I also really want to do sport and trad. Like these people have said it's all climbing and that's what matters. I'm sure the people staring have been on TR a couple of times in their life. Besides, they don't pay your health or life insurance premiums.

talons05

Dec 17, 2001, 6:37 AM
Post #10 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't let anyone rag you for setting up a TR. And you're right. Lots of times TR can be a better way to climb certain routes. A lot of what you get into is a macho attitude that some people have. "If you don't lead climb it, then you haven't really climbed it," they say. This attitude isn't really the best, and I disagree with it. Keep on climbin' man.

AW

joemor

Dec 17, 2001, 6:59 AM
Post #11 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree with rrradam its all climbing,

and i too climb my doors argh so fun

kahuna3602

Dec 17, 2001, 8:04 AM
Post #12 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climber_girl, I think you're confusing Sport climbing with Trad climbing. Trad is placing pro on basically unbolted routes and Sprot , for the most part is already bolted. I'm with the consensus here. I'll basically climb anything. Don't even ask me about my latest bouldering project.

saltspringer

Dec 17, 2001, 8:10 AM
Post #13 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The reason leading on bolts is necessary is because that's how you tackle larger features (a mountain, for instance) where you can't get a TR in place...remember, cragging or, for the most part what we call rock climbing, was first developed as a sub-sport of moutain climbing to be used as a training tool for terrain one might encounter on an attempt at climbing a peak. Leading a single pitch sport or trad line is a good way to train for the stresses of leading multi-pitch, more commiting climbs. The TR is just another training method that can, in many cases, lead people to becoming more comfortable with their leading skills so that they can climb a wide variety of routes. Everyone has to begin at some point and all of us reach a certain level of comfort at different times, if other people think that you're TRing a line that you should be leading, that's their problem. The only thing that I've got against excessive use of TR's is a phenomenon that's known as polishing where climbers employing bad foot technique leave the outside edges of a crack extremely slippery from all of the shoe rubber left behind: TRing allows climbers to climb well above the level where they would feel safe leading...net result, more traffic on routes with climbers who may not be ready for them. So, if you're going to TR a route, at least do it sensibly as a means to improve and not just to prove that you can climb a 5.whatever

sorry, almost forgot: no, TRing doesn't make you a loser

[ This Message was edited by: saltspringer on 2001-12-17 00:13 ]

coach

Dec 17, 2001, 6:38 PM
Post #14 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with most of the others that have posted here in that it is the climbing that is important. All the rest, the top rope, the cams, nuts, etc or the bolts to clip are only there for one reason; to keep you from dying if you fall! It is the climb that means something. If that is what you enjoy then by all means go for it and to hell with what everyone else thinks. You shouldn't be climbing because of what everyone else thinks. And toproping doesn't make you any less.

Climb On

Partner jules

Dec 17, 2001, 10:47 PM
Post #15 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb TR... and all the people I climb with climb TR. There's nothing wrong with it. Ignore them. And, like (place whoever i'm quoting's name here) said, people always stare at me.

Door climbing is the greatest!!

talons05

Dec 17, 2001, 11:25 PM
Post #16 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Know what's even better than door climbing? Find an alcove or narrow hallway... And chimney it!!!!

AW

fo_d

Dec 18, 2001, 1:06 AM
Post #17 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats right its all climbing, at our local crag its mostly sport routes and you are dicouraged form setting up top ropes cause it dagerous, rock fall on people below and mostly the top portions of the cliffs arent worth climbing. But I have ask peole to lead a route for me so the me and my family could top rope harder routs and no one has ever looked at me funny or made any odd comments, maybe things are different in other parts of the country but climbers in our area are very helpfull and friendly. but also you might try leading some of the easier routes and find you like it, you can climb a lot more routes in less time (not that climbing should be rushed). find someone who knows how to lead to tech you to clip right and you never know you might like it.

squeeks

Dec 21, 2001, 12:48 AM
Post #18 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

are you sure they werent just looking at you cause they have never seen you before? i dont think its something you should feel stupid about. everyone has their own preference and style. dont worry about how they look at you or what they think. just climb and enjoy it.

graniteboy

Dec 21, 2001, 1:42 AM
Post #19 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My TWO CENTS;
Although it is TRUE that CLIMBING is CLIMBING, one must recognize that we (the persons staring at this climber on said day) were not angry at this climber. We were wondering if we should comment on the huge COWLICK in his hair and a rather UNHYGIENIC looking bit of GREENERY protruding from HIS NOSTRIL... Now that we are in the ANONYMOUS ENVIRONMENT of a forum, I feel more free to tell him, thus sparing him the public humiliation.... So keep toproping, dude, we don't care about THAT at ALL.

naturalhigh

Dec 21, 2001, 4:10 AM
Post #20 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing is climbing is climbing!

I'll bet you won't find a single climber who didn't start out top-roping. And there are many who still do. Heck, I've top roped a few hiball boulder problems with nasty landings!

Climb on!

passthepitonspete

Dec 21, 2001, 5:03 AM
Post #21 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is NOT all climbing.

Some types of climbing hurt the rock more, and some types of climbing hurt the rock less.

Since the advent of sport climbing there has been a very disturbing tendency of some people to selfishly disregard the non-renewable resource which is the rock.
Generations from now other people will still have to look at bolts that someone decided were "needed".

I have always maintained that toproping can be a better option than bolting on toprope-able routes, and I am overjoyed that Chris has considered this option.

Perhaps this is because he is approaching the problem with an open mind something like this, spoken with Tennessee accent:

"What the, what the hail you need them bolts fer...?"

If he hangs around long enough he may become brainwashed into believing that bolts are OK anytime anywhere, or at least most of the time. This is my observation, and is supported by the overwhelming "yes" vote towards bolting that was held here on this website.

I, like Ibsen, believe the majority is always wrong, and nowhere more so than in the area of bolting. But bolting makes things easier, and hence bolts become popular.

Saltspringer's comments actually gave me cause to pause - I hadn't considered the idea of polishing.

If you are a looser (sic) it is only because you choose to lose out on the adventure, risk and danger that other aspects of climbing can offer.

Cheers,

Dr. Pee'd On

who has been the subject of many stares twenty years ago when walking up to the base of routes in Devil's Lake Wisconsin and actually leading climbs that almost everyone else topropes. Wide-eyed stares are normally accompanied by comments like, oooooh, he's LEADING...

[If you are bitchin', you will always get stares]

jcs

Dec 21, 2001, 6:15 AM
Post #22 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Peter is tuff. But he had sort of a good point. I personally like TR'ing because it feels secure, and mostly I like security. But on the other hand, TRing misses out on the mental (fear?) aspect that so many people (Peter?) think see as the vital part of climbing. So, no, TRing doesnt make you a loser- everyone does it, but many people dont consider a route to have been "done" properly if it is "only" on TR, because the routes are often much easier when you arent afraid.

Personally, Im a big chicken. In my ideal world I'd get to TR everything first, find out where the holds are- THEN lead it. Of course, most routes where I climb must be led first to set the TR up... so I usually have to lead it so that my partner can TR it after me. I hate being above the last bolt and not knowing if the next hold is good enough ("well, it's only an .11a, and I should be able to hold onto any thing on this, but what if the climb is sand bagged or i get in the wrong position or pump out, and what am I going to hit if I fall..."). Somehow the holds always get smaller and slopier when I pass that last bolt- its the mental bit. I remember my first lead climb- an 8 meter 5.6... I back clipped every bolt! even though I was climbing .10's at the time, that climb was the most exciting one Id ever done up to that point.. because suddenly falling meant something (like pain- real or imagined). I dont get that rush when I TR- and I am often happy about that!

So, I think that TRing is really fun- and climbing should be, above all, fun. Still, I can see why people dont consider a route "done" properly if its on TR. Of course there are lots of climbing dinosaurs that dont consider a route properly done if its bolted. I heard that the Brits used to think (way back) that it wasnt pure climbing if you used a rope at all- it was considered "unethical" and cheating!!! So, whatever- just have fun.

JCS

[ This Message was edited by: jcs on 2001-12-20 22:22 ]

socialclimber

Dec 21, 2001, 10:49 AM
Post #23 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The day is gonna come when you start tinkering around with pro. Leading challenges you in a whole different way and you are gonna enjoy going back to some of your favorite TR lines and do them all over again, and you are gonna wonder at the new dimention you have discovered. In the meantime, if you wanna top rope, Just go bananas.

passthepitonspete

Dec 21, 2001, 1:56 PM
Post #24 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, "just go kiwis!"

Here's one now:...

Well......OK. Maybe not....

socialclimber

Dec 22, 2001, 12:39 PM
Post #25 of 39 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, that would be a kiwi who sat in the sun too long Pete

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook