RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

rjman53

Jun 9, 2007, 3:32 AM
Post #1 of 16 (2776 views)
Shortcut

What to do when you can't get to the gym
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My work schedule doesn't allow me to get to the gym more than once a week so I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions for things to do outside the climbing gym that are appropriate to getting into better shape for climbing (i.e. strength training, stamina building, etc)

(This post was edited by rjman53 on Jun 9, 2007, 3:32 AM)

collegekid

Jun 9, 2007, 3:51 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rjman53] What to do when you can't get to the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rjman53 wrote:
My work schedule doesn't allow me to get to the gym more than once a week so I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions for things to do outside the climbing gym that are appropriate to getting into better shape for climbing (i.e. strength training, stamina building, etc)

1. Train grip strength (hangboard 2-3 times per week and toys from www.ironmind.com)
2. Cardio to stay lightweight (3-4 days per week, 30 mins)
3. Eat healthy

You can easily stay in good climbing shape with about 10 hrs of training per week if you make your workouts high quality.

Since you only get one day at the climbing gym, I would use that time to put in as much mileadge as possible and pay close attention to technique.

el_layclimber

Jun 9, 2007, 4:40 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With a few weights and knowledge of some bodyweight exercises, you can get in a pretty killer workout at home.
Totally anecdotal, but I am in grad school and have little time to actually climb. I have been doing regular aerobic, home and (weight) gym training though and when I do get the rare opportunity to climb, I can send all day without getting injured or sore. I try to do movements that will come as close to climbing moves as possible, but also balance out all the antagonist muscles that climbers never use to avoid injury. My technique is garbage bag, but in terms of fitness I can definitely take it.

superbum

Jun 9, 2007, 5:02 AM
Post #4 of 16 (2732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [el_layclimber] What to do when you can't get to the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I can't get to the Gym I cry and cry like a little fat kid who just dropped her last watermelon jolly rancher into a mudpuddle.

When I can't get to the gym I go to the Hardware store and wander around until I find the aisle w/ all the tape. I continue down this aisle until I find the colored tape. Then I just stare at all those rolls of beautiful colored tape until they kick me out.

When I can't get to the gym I get drunk and start fights on internet forums.

Or, you could always go rock climbing.

axelvanettinger

Jun 9, 2007, 9:16 AM
Post #5 of 16 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superbum] What to do when you can't get to the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

superbum wrote:
When I can't get to the Gym I cry and cry like a little fat kid who just dropped her last watermelon jolly rancher into a mudpuddle.

When I can't get to the gym I go to the Hardware store and wander around until I find the aisle w/ all the tape. I continue down this aisle until I find the colored tape. Then I just stare at all those rolls of beautiful colored tape until they kick me out.

When I can't get to the gym I get drunk and start fights on internet forums.

Or, you could always go rock climbing.

Nice one SuperBum!

But to get on topic again... I'll just hang from the (open) staircase in my house... and grip everything like i grip a climbing hold... and spend alot of time on this site ofcourseWink

granite_grrl

Jun 11, 2007, 1:06 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2531 views)
Shortcut

Re: What to do when you can't get to the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

when I can't get to the gym I head down to my basement for the home wall. Laugh

Seriously I would maximize your climbing time when you do get out and I would probobly concentrate on general fitness with emphisis on working your core.

sund

Jun 11, 2007, 2:22 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I can't get to the gym I usually try to find those big hard things you see outside sometimes in the woods. "Rocks" I think (you'll have to check me on that). They tend to simulate gym climbing pretty well and are good in a pinch.

Hope that helps.

sasuke

Jun 11, 2007, 2:47 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sund] What to do when you can't get to the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For some of us the gym is the only option. For myself the closest "big hard things outside" are over 2 hours away and therefore not accessable after work.

nuts_r_us

Jun 11, 2007, 3:04 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sund] What to do when you can't get to the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sund wrote:
When I can't get to the gym I usually try to find those big hard things you see outside sometimes in the woods. "Rocks" I think (you'll have to check me on that). They tend to simulate gym climbing pretty well and are good in a pinch.

Hope that helps.

Ahh, I love this site. Stupid question, funny answers. Plus the Snorg ads are awesome.

Partner angry

Jun 11, 2007, 3:11 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nuts_r_us] What to do when you can't get to the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nuts_r_us wrote:
Ahh, I love this site. Stupid question, funny answers. Plus the Snorg ads are awesome.

I ordered one of the Snorg girls. They told me that they'd crate her with 4 days of food. It's a really good deal, she cost me less than one of their T-shirts.

I don't have any idea what I'm going to do with a hot naked girl in a crate, but I'm not one to pass up a bargain.

nuts_r_us

Jun 11, 2007, 3:17 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2438 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] What to do when you can't get to the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
nuts_r_us wrote:

I ordered one of the Snorg girls. They told me that they'd crate her with 4 days of food. It's a really good deal, she cost me less than one of their T-shirts.

I don't have any idea what I'm going to do with a hot naked girl in a crate, but I'm not one to pass up a bargain.

So they don't even come with a T shirt huh.

OK, who here has bought one of their dumb T shirts? Come one, admit it.

EmilySauce

Jun 20, 2007, 6:05 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nuts_r_us] What to do when you can't get to the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Snorg generally has shirts with things on them that I think are funny, but I wouldn't want to wear on a shirt ("I piss excellence" comes to mind").

As for the original question, just start climbing random crap around you. Walking down the street and you pass by one of those large walls composed entirely of large rocks? Climb it. A brick wall with unusually deep grooves between the bricks? Climb it. Babysitting your friends kids or younger siblings or cousins? Encourage tree-climbing. Seriously, just climb the stuff around you. Just make sure not to be stupid about it, and keep it legal.

This is, of course, on top of the other helpful advice others have given you about grip training devices, cardio, and eating healthy. :)

(This post was edited by EmilySauce on Jun 20, 2007, 6:17 PM)

diophantus

Jun 20, 2007, 6:33 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] What to do when you can't get to the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
nuts_r_us wrote:

That's easy, give her a harness so she can belay you... duh.

zionvier

Jun 20, 2007, 7:05 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sasuke] What to do when you can't get to the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sasuke wrote:
For some of us the gym is the only option. For myself the closest "big hard things outside" are over 2 hours away and therefore not accessable after work.

You have two options.
1) move closer to the "big hard things outside".
2) move the "big hard things outside" closer to you.

sasuke

Jun 21, 2007, 1:21 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zionvier] What to do when you can't get to the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If only life were that simple. How would you suggest moving the "big hard things outside" closer? I thought that is what gyms were for? To make up for a lack of climbing places for those of us not blessed with easy access to "real" climbing.

zionvier

Jun 21, 2007, 6:49 PM
Post #16 of 16 (1991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sasuke] What to do when you can't get to the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was only a joke about moving them. If I was in that situation again I'd do what I have done in the past, build myself small wall at home. Actually, I'm lucky enough to live where there is a lot of rock to climb (but I actually did move here for that reason), but I still have a wall in my bedroom over my bed.... It's hard to fall asleep at night though with that thing staring at me :)

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook